Literature What are you currently reading?

The thriller will probably be the Minka Kent one I mentioned a few posts ago. Her books are trashy but enjoyable.šŸ˜

Reactions: Ahimsa
I read a YA novel called "Brave New Girl" which is a sci-fi tale of a society made up of clones. It was pretty good but I didn't realize it was book one of two and now I can't find the second one without buying it.
I have started reading another book by the author of "The Hate U Give" which was excellent and was a movie too. This one is called "On the Come Up" and is about a young girl who wants to be a rapper. A movie is supposed to be made of this book also. The author's name is Angie Thomas.

Reactions: Lou and Ahimsa
That looks good. I think we will watch the HBO documentary.

I watched the documentary and found it quite fascinating. I'm a huge fan of crime documentaries and trials. The book is also very
well written. However, the author sadly died at the age of 46 before it was published.

• Friendly
Reactions: Raven
I have read most of Hiaasen's books and years and years ago I read a ton of Elmore. I haven't read much of Dave's though. I think they would be cool to hang out with too. Mr Leonard passed away in 2013 though.
Speaking of the Florida Keys, Allegiant Airlines is going to start flights from Sanford to the Keys this summer for only $100!! I am hoping to get my sister to go on a weekend with me! I have never been there and would love to go and that is a cheap flight!
I loved the Keys so much! I got a rental car from Miami, and remember being on the road in front of the airport for an HOUR!
I so want to go back

I got a couple audio books for the 6 horrid hours I was at work. I hated the one so much! It was called the Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert. I was working in another dept doing these radiation detectors, which was fast paced piece work and wasn't supposed to look at my phone. It was terrible--like when you're seated next to a stranger who tells you there whole life story and you could not care less, and just want to leave!
I did finally go to the bathroom and change to some youtubes!

I don't really like listening to fiction books

• Friendly
  • Haha
Reactions: Dedalus and KLS52
Hoopla has a good nonfiction of Nonfiction audio books.
Just a quick perusal and some of the top recomendations are
The New Jim Crow
I'll be gone in the dark
James Herriot's favorite dog stories
Through my eyes - Ruby Bridges
The inner life of animals
Plus they have 7 books by Peter Singer
and Eating Animals
30 books about veganism.....

Troubled Blood

by Robert Galbraith

This is the fifth book by Galbraith (aka JK Rowling). This is called the CB Strike series because that is the name of the main character.

I had got an alert before it came out and put it on hold at the library. I must have been very close to the front of the line and I was surprised on how quickly I got it. New books at my library are due back in two weeks instead of three. I was also in the middle of another library book. this book is almost 1000 pages long. I knew I could never finish it in time. So I gave it right back.

It took forever for it to come back to me. but I got it two weeks ago and I just finished it. I didn't have to read it so fast but I'm glad I did. The book has so many suspects, victims and witnesses it was hard for me to keep track. If I read it at a leisurely pace I probably couldn't have kept them all straight. of course when I got to the last 100 pages I didn't stop to rest at all.

In the previous books the Strike and Robin relationship had become annoying. that ugly head didn't pop up till the books was half over and then it was a lot less annoying.

There is one central mystery. along the way the detectives work on a number of less important mysteries. The central mystery is a 40 year old cold case and so it was pretty much up to just good ol' detecting skills. No forensics, no physical evidence, and plenty of holes in the story to fill in because many of the witnesses had either died or were just hard to find. The ending was completely satisfying. I don't think the previous books ended so nicely. so I'm afraid this might be the last one. But I think there is room for more books in the series.

All of the other books were turned into tv shows. The show is called CB Strike or just Strike. It was broadcast on Cinemax in the US. In the UK it was broadcast on the BBC. I'm pretty sure you can buy it on YouTube or Amazon. The TV show was very faithful to the novels. Plus it had great casting. Robin and Strike look just like I imagined.

I also read this in hardcover. I so much prefer ebooks. especially big heavy books like this. It's hard to get comfortable with a thick and heavy book.

Oh! I almost forgot. the book is great. If you like noir mysteries this is one of the best to come out in the 21st century.

Reactions: Dedalus
I am loving this book so much, I find myself reading slower than I already normally do. I do not want it to end. What an imagination she has!
I just checked and it got great reviews. I put it on hold at my library. I am 19th in line. So its going to be months.

Her first book, Johnathan Strange and Mr Norell was turned into a TV show. Has anyone seen it?

Last edited:
I am loving this book so much, I find myself reading slower than I already normally do. I do not want it to end. What an imagination she has!

View attachment 23452
I got that as an audiobook, and will try it out tomorrow! If nothing else maybe I'll get the book-I have real issues with being read fiction šŸ™„

I was listening to The Alzhemiers Solution today but kept drifting off when it got into too technical terminology. I will fast forward to the diet and exercise parts tomorrow

I just checked and it got great reviews. I put it on hold at my library. I am 19th in line. So its going to be months.

Her first book, Johnathan Strange and Mr Norell was turned into a TV show. Has anyone seen it?
I have not seen it, but itā€™s in my queue. The book is AMAZING!