Literature What are you currently reading?

I thought it was really good. Her writing is excellent and I felt for the characters.
Yes, it was very good. I also read a book recently called: "A Boy and His Dog at the End of the World" by C. A. Fletcher, which you may also enjoy.

Reactions: Chryssie
Yes, it was very good. I also read a book recently called: "A Boy and His Dog at the End of the World" by C. A. Fletcher, which you may also enjoy.
I think I read that! Wasn't there a movie, too?
Oh. No. I read the 1969 novel by Ellison and the '73 film adaption.
Not sure I can recommend either.

I just finished the third Masie Dobbs books. It never really sucked me in. It just so happens that I have a backlog of library books so I'm not going to check out any Masie books for a while. Right now I have a bunch of Enola Holmes books - but they are short.

It's dreary and rainy today. a good day for curling up with a book.

Reactions: Emma JC
I've just finished reading, Eternal Treblinka, by Charles Patterson, for the second time, and now I'm on, Tender is the Flesh, by Agustina Bazterrica.

Finished the first Enola Holmes novel yesterday. I had started reading the novels after really liking the Enola Homes film on Netflix. I had skipped the first one cause I figured I didn't need to cause I had seen the movie. after reading the second book it was apparent that the movie was different from the novel so I put the book on hold and finally got around to reading it yesterday. I was right. the movie diverges from the source material almost immediately.

At this point, I've read the first three books with three more to go. All of the books are short and probably should be classified as YA. I also just discovered that all the books are available as audiobooks in Hoopla.

I really like them so far. And since its raining today and the next book is due back at the library, I think i'll just curl up with a hot chocolate and The Case of the Peculiar Pink Fan.

I read a book that I heard about on Good Morning America called "Memorial" by Bryan Washington. It was published this year and has a lot of positive publicity and has won awards. It is the author's first novel. I didn't even remember putting it on my reserved list at the library and had forgotten everything I heard about it. It is the story of two young gay men and their relationship with each other and their families. It is told from the perspective of both of them, one is Japanese-American and the other is black. It is a quietly moving book which explores the many facets of love. If "adult" content, bothers you, you probably won't like the book.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I read a book that I heard about on Good Morning America called "Memorial" by Bryan Washington. It was published this year and has a lot of positive publicity and has won awards. It is the author's first novel. I didn't even remember putting it on my reserved list at the library and had forgotten everything I heard about it. It is the story of two young gay men and their relationship with each other and their families. It is told from the perspective of both of them, one is Japanese-American and the other is black. It is a quietly moving book which explores the many facets of love. If "adult" content, bothers you, you probably won't like the book.
Sounds interesting. I wrote a novel on the theme of same sex relationships myself years ago, women though, rather than men. The "adult" content didn't seem to be a problem for those who bought and read the book, quite the contrary in fact. However, I do find that sex scenes in a novel do distract from the more serious themes, animal rights for example in my case. If I wrote another work of fiction I think I'd refrain altogether from "adult" content. 🤔

We are currently in a terrible neighbour v neighbour warfare that began, would you believe it, about a shared boundary fence. Find it all extremely stressful.

Thought that reading about people far worse off than us might result in a soothing effect. So, Solzhenitsyn’s The Gulag Archipelago. Believe me, the therapy just does not work.

No point, then, in trying Cancer Ward.

Roger.

• Friendly
  • Wow
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Enola Holmes #5. The Case of the Cryptic Crinoline.

I'm really digging these. Each chapter is like ten minutes long. So you read a chapter and then do a chore. Pretty soon the book and the chores are all done!

If I was a middle school Language Arts teacher I would assign all of these and then have the kids write reports about the things mentioned in the book. Sherlock Holmes, The Crimean War, mental illness, Victorian period, cryptology, flowers, suffrage ...
and you can end the unit with the movie.

I'm reading three different books. Started reading A Wizard of Earthsea a while back, but lost interest. I'm in the third book currently. I'm struggling to get back to it. Then I'm re-reading Mitä Wicca On? By Titus Hjelm and Millaista On Olla Eläin by Helena Telkäranta.
I don't like it when this happens, it would make so much more sense to finish reading one book before going into other books. But life happens and then my interests shifts into something else.

• Friendly
I keep buying books again. I get into a bad habit of doing that when I start listening to a lot to podcasts! :D

Fear Less, How To Win at life without losing yourself - Dr Pippa Grange.

The XX Brain - The Ground Breaking Science empowering women to prevent dementia - Dr Lisa Mosconi.

Seinfeldia - How a show about nothing changed everything - Jennifer Armstrong.

Becoming Bullet Proof - Life Lessons from a Secret Service agent - Evy Poumpouras.
I'm going to start Fear Less this afternoon. :)

• Friendly
Dominion by Matthew Scully. I'm currently reading the chapter about whether or not animals have consciousness, which is something I've always thought was self-evident so it's interesting to hear the counter arguments. I don't agree with the author's position of welfarism but I like his writing.

Dominion by Matthew Scully. I'm currently reading the chapter about whether or not animals have consciousness, which is something I've always thought was self-evident so it's interesting to hear the counter arguments. I don't agree with the author's position of welfarism but I like his writing.
I've read it and think it's a good book.

• Friendly
Reactions: Sax and Emma JC
I should read that.

I just finished "Hill Women: Finding Family and a Way Forward in the Appalachian Mountains." This is a memoir by a young woman who grew up in Kentucky. I was drawn to the book because my ex is from a similar area and I saw first hand many of the situations she describes such as extreme poverty, drug addiction, and domestic abuse. Very interesting read.