Literature What are you currently reading?

also I have just noticed that there is a netflix movie out Spenser Confidential starring Mark Wahlberg, Winston Duke, Alan Arkin (thank you @Chryssie for making me search for the 80's series) - I will have to watch it

Emma JC

So its Robert B. Parker.
:)

My library has a ton of them. and almost all are in ebook form, too. Yea!
I found a website that has the reading order for his diferent series so I'm going to start with the first couple of Spencer novels.
1974!?
Well I have never seen a Spencer TV show.
I'm pretty sure I saw a Joss Stone episode - I guess I didn't like it that much.
I rewatched an old Magnum PI episode - I used to love that show - but it did not age well.

also I have just noticed that there is a netflix movie out Spenser Confidential starring Mark Wahlberg, Winston Duke, Alan Arkin (thank you @Chryssie for making me search for the 80's series) - I will have to watch it

Emma JC
watched the movie last night - it was okay - not at all how I picture Spenser and his girlfriend in the movie is not the same as his later books - Hawk was okay and Henry was great - the movie is from the beginning of his life so I may have not read/forgotten the early days

@Lou you are going to love the books!

Emma JC

So I hit the library's website and they had Spencer book 2 available as an ebook and I downloaded it. I put myself on the waiting list for book 1 - but it's pretty short.

Also, I had put the Masie Dobbs, book 2 ebook on hold and I got it today.

Enola Holmes book 2 is available in hardcover. My curbside pickup appointment is tomorrow but I'm pretty sure I can't make it. I wonder if they will hang onto it for me till next week when I can get there.

So now I'm officially on a detective kick.

Just finished Masie Dobbs book 2. It was great. The last couple of chapters were real page-turners. I did guess who the murderer was about halfway thru but I half expected a twist at the end. but not at all disappointed.

I may start a Spencer tomorrow. but maybe not. I may get Enola Holmes #2 on Wednesday. And I put Massie Dobbs #3 on hold and I may get that pretty fast.

I finished one of Maisie's last night also and it was great. Reading out of order however I have enough of a sense of her life, now, to be able to deal with it and put it in context. Reading about what life was like for people in World War I, World War II and the time in between them, makes me very grateful for our current life, despite the virus.

Emma JC

One of the things I like about Masie Dobbs books is that it pays more than lip service to the stagnation of British society during that time period. Class and gender. It may minimize it, but at least it recognizes it.
Also right after WWI (and II) there was a lot of progress in Britain in that area. The author even goes a little bit out of her way to spotlight it.

I also like that the Compton's remind me of Downton Abbey.

I have a recollection of a late night in a dorm room and trying to figure out the perfect year for a male to be born in America. We excluded dates after we were born. And since the Vietnam War had just ended we pretty much eliminated the decade before we were born. then there was the dates that would have put you in the Korean war or WW II or I. I can't remember what we decided. and besides we were doing this off the top our heads without research. And... why just limit to the USA. It might be a fun exercise to do again sometime.

Oh. and the point I was going to make is that being born female brings up a whole lot of other problems.

Masquerade in Lodi
Lois McMaster Bujold

This is the ninth novella in the Penric & Desdemona series, part of the World of the Five Gods series.

Bujold is one of my favorite authors. She is in her 70s now and has been publishing books for 40 years. She has about 40 books and novellas published, won the Hugo Award seven times and the Nebula award three times.

About five years ago she stopped writing novels and turned to novellas and publishing them as ebooks.
She might have a pretty good business plan here. Instead of putting out a novel every two or three years and charging $20 for it - She puts out two novellas a year. Only as e-books. Charges just $3 for them.
I've bought every one.
If she just put out traditional hardcovers I would just wait till I could get them at the library. Her plan is perfectly designed to extract cash from me.

I just learned that six of the novellas have been combined into Omnibus editions, sold as a hardcover. You might check with your library and see if they have them. The first one is called Penric's Progress and includes the first three Penric books.

If you haven't read any Bujold and like fantasy, I recommend the Sharing Knife series. The first book is titled Beguilement. It's sort of an adventure romance.

Most of her work is science fiction. And all of it occurs in the same "universe", and the books are referred to as the Vorkosigan saga. Falling Free is the closest thing she has to a stand-alone novel and a good place to start.

Emma JC
Is that the same spencer - it seems like a different one.

I have finished another William Kent Krueger novel and have 2 more from the library. I think that may be the last of the ones the DeLand library has but I can search the data base for more that other branches may have. I really enjoy his books!

I keep buying books again. I get into a bad habit of doing that when I start listening to a lot to podcasts! :D

Fear Less, How To Win at life without losing yourself - Dr Pippa Grange.

The XX Brain - The Ground Breaking Science empowering women to prevent dementia - Dr Lisa Mosconi.

Seinfeldia - How a show about nothing changed everything - Jennifer Armstrong.

Becoming Bullet Proof - Life Lessons from a Secret Service agent - Evy Poumpouras.

Reactions: Chryssie
I finished yet another William Kent Kroeger novel. I have another one also but I think my next read will be "Station Eleven" which Poppy mentioned she was reading on Facebook so I got it.

I'm reading Masie Dobbs #4 - Messenger of Truth

I also have gotten back into audiobooks. I just got The Queen's Gambit for free from Hoopla.

Reactions: Emma JC
Today I finished "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John Mandel. It is an excellent book published in 2014 about a worldwide pandemic. Yeah....
Pretty eerie reading this with the TV news reporting on covid playing in the background. A good read though.

Reactions: Ahimsa
Today I finished "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John Mandel. It is an excellent book published in 2014 about a worldwide pandemic. Yeah....
Pretty eerie reading this with the TV news reporting on covid playing in the background. A good read though.
I read "Station Eleven" myself just before the pandemic broke out. Nice to know someone else who's read it as I don't think it's a particularly well known novel.

Reactions: Chryssie