Literature What are you currently reading?

I just finished "The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes" by Suzanne Collins. This is a prequel to the Hunger Games series and is the story of Snow. I liked it a lot! If you liked the Hunger Games, this is a must read!

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I just finished "The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes" by Suzanne Collins. This is a prequel to the Hunger Games series and is the story of Snow. I liked it a lot! If you liked the Hunger Games, this is a must read!
Put it on my list.

I have finished another book by Annie Hogsett called "Too Lucky to Live". I should have read this one before the other book I read by her about these characters. It was a good crime book that has humor and likable characters. The story is told in first person by a young woman who is quite the free spirit. She meets a blind man who wins a huge lottery and all kinds of crazy things happen to them. I would read more books about them if she continues the series.

and I read it and enjoyed it very much, thank you for the recommendation!

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: Chryssie
and I read it and enjoyed it very much, thank you for the recommendation!

Emma JC
Wow. that was fast. I put it on hold and I can get it on Wednesday.
I just started my Third Mary Russell novel and I'm not in love with it.
Almost done with the Audio Book, the Starless Sea and unless I hate the ending, I think I'll recommend it.

Reactions: Emma JC
The Starless Sea
by Erin Morgenstern

I just finished the audio book version. I wonder how different an experience it would have been to read it. Listening to a book takes longer (for me anyway) than reading it. I also listened to it on the iOS app called Libby. Libby has a really good interface for listening to books. According to Libby it is almost 19 hours long. It took me almost 3 weeks to finish the book. I probably would have read it in just a few days.

One thing about this book and listening to it is that is is made of five parts that are discrete but have some intersections. Some of the intersections were surprising. and maybe more so because in some cases it had been days or maybe weeks since I had come across that intersection the first time. A couple of times I was surprised into laughing or even applauding.

A cool thing about the audio version is that each part has a different narrator.

Anyway I totally recommend it.

The author also wrote the Night Circus. I read it a long time ago but I have almost no recollection of it. So I think I'll read it again. Or maybe I'll get the audiobook.

🐝

🗝

The Starless Sea is a love letter to books and readers, a masterpiece of stories within a story where fables of pirates and princesses converge with the saga of Zachary Ezra Rawlins, the son of a fortune teller.

I have no interest in audio books. I just enjoy reading books! I just don't think listening would be as enjoyable for me.
I have started reading a very strange debut novel called "Body of Stars" by Laura Maylene Walter. I can't even describe it at this point. I guess you would call it fantasy. I will review it when I finish it.

@Chryssie , You can read the Sea of Stars. its pretty good.

An ambitious and bewitching gem of a book with mystery and passion inscribed on every page.

Clocking in at more than 500 pages, the novel requires patience as Morgenstern puts all the pieces in place, but it is exquisitely pleasurable to watch the gears of this epic fantasy turn once they're set in motion.

- Kirkus

I couldn't get into the book on Seinfeld at all, which is weird as I loved the show.

I'm now reading The Sanatorium - Sarah Pearse. It's a thriller/mystery.

I’m trying to understand how our bodies work and as I have suffered in the past with several eating disorders this book really helps me. It’s now on sale in Amazon so I’m putting a link here [link removed by moderator] (You can have it and as an audiobook)
Color me skeptical. Of course I haven't read the book, and just skimmed some of the reviews but I am very leery of people who start off by telling us that everything we know is wrong.

I think our understanding isn't perfect but greater understanding is usually garnered with small incremental changes. or better yet, why something works and how it can work better. For instance in a study on Mitochondria the researches suggested that longer/more frequent workouts are effective. Not that we didn't already know that but it was nice to see the "why".

Again just based on the blurbs I'm not sure its "ground breaking". but again its nice to see further reinforcement and the "why's". Mainstream diet and exercise experts have been saying for decades its mostly about diet.

But then again there are still plenty of people who haven't gotten that message.

Finished "Body of Stars". It was a very interesting read. It is about a society that uses a very unique technique to suppress women (and men also to some extent) while glorifying them at the same time. It is told by a teenaged girl. It is very imaginative and I liked it.

I'm now reading The Sanatorium - Sarah Pearse. It's a thriller/mystery.
Not much of a thriller! :unamused:

I read The Guest List by Lucy Foley yesterday and I really enjoyed that. I'm starting another by her today - The Hunting Party.

My county has dropped to the next lower level tier. (over here they are color coded but I have yet to make sense of the whole thing). anyway now the library is sort of open.
the hours are still limited to 10 - 2 Wednesdays and 2 - 6 on Fridays. but now you can actually go into the library -one at a time. first you go to the hand sanitizing station. they you can either go to a computer to put books on hold or whatever. Just one computer is open. Then to the holds shelf to pick up book you had previously put on hold. and then to the self check out area. Returning books is limited to those hours, too.

I returned Moors and The Vegan Instantpot cookbook and picked up Too Lucky.

Fun!

My library has been closed to do some renovations. I think it may open back up next week. It is pretty much "normal" with masks required and you are to limit your visit to an hour or less. I like being able to go in and browse through the new books and DVD's.

My library has been closed to do some renovations. I think it may open back up next week. It is pretty much "normal" with masks required and you are to limit your visit to an hour or less. I like being able to go in and browse through the new books and DVD's.
I though its illegal in Florida to require masks. ;)
I'm also surprised Florida even has libraries (or schools). what if the electorate knew how to read?

OK, Lou, bad tiger. Go sit in the corner.

• Haha
Reactions: Chryssie
my library has been open, lots of hours but limited browsing and no computer use etc - I went yesterday and picked up two Dean Koontz books I had on Hold and am enjoying Devoted and have Elsewhere sitting waiting to be read

Emma JC

The library is open again and I was able to go in and get 3 new books. I finished "The Glass Hotel" by Emily St. John Mandel. This is the third book I have read by her. She is a very talented writer and her books are very imaginative. This one is a character driver story of people who are all connected to a huge Ponzi scheme. There a several main characters and they all have an interesting story to tell.

I just finished another audio book.
The Night Circus
by Erin Morgenstern

This is the same author as the Starless Sea. this was her first book and it got better reviews than Starless, but I didn't like it quite as well. Still it was fun and enjoyable. I'm going to take a little break from audio books for a while and listen to podcasts for a while. I have some piling up.

"Echoing the immense pleasure of Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, The Night Circus presents a sprightly version of 19th-century English magic. . . . A love story for adults that feels luxuriously romantic." --The Washington Post

I also just finished

O Jerusalem

by Lurie R. King

O Jerusalem is the fifth book in the Mary Russell series. I read it in e-book form and I'm reading this series out of order, which doesn't appear to be much of a problem.

I have a couple of other Mary Russell books on hold but I have a bunch of other books piling up so I'll be taking a little break from Mary.

Of all the Mary Russell books I've read so far I still like the first one best. All the books seem to be self contained so if you are looking for a Sherlock Holmes mystery with a strong female character you can't go wrong with reading at least the first one.

"The great marvel of King's series is that she's managed to preserve the integrity of Holmes' character and yet somehow conjure up a woman astute, edgy, and compelling enough to be the partner of his mind as well as his heart."
--The Washington Post Book World

Today I finished a very entertaining crime book called "A Pedigree to Die For" written by Lauren Berenson. It is the first in a series and was published in 1995 so is somewhat dated. It is light reading and is about crimes surrounding Standard Poodle dog shows. It was a fun read and I will look for more in the series.