The Everything Non-Dairy Thread

Did I ever tell you that Ben and Jerry are the same age as my sister and they knew each other in Elementary school?

The local supermarket has had dairy free B&J on sale for months but you have to buy two. I've been buying a couple of pints each month. Trader Joe's Chocolate Cherry is one of the best deals. Oh and Breyer's has something like 3 flavors and they seem to be the least expensive.

But like the article above stated - there are so many choices now. Yea!!

"There's been an amazing explosion in the availability of vegan ice cream, and also the quality of it as well," Martin said. "Market reports say that there's been something like a 300% increase just since 2018."
- Here's the scoop on vegan ice cream — and why it's everywhere now
Why is it when they go on sale there's never a flavor for me! Last week B&J's and Breyers were on sale and every one was either peanut butter or brownie bits or coconut. I don't want brownie bits in my ice cream
Honestly, for as much an ice cream lover as I was I always seem to think I want it, but when I get it I'm like "eh".
I'm just happy I have a good local place that has vegan frozen custard! Again though, not many in my flavors!

Reactions: Emma JC
Taste Testing Non-Dairy Ice Creams.

Taste tests performed by one guy - or even a small group of people is, IMHO, of limited utility.
I"m more impressed when they average 5 or more scores. With just one taste tester there is going to be more bias injected into the test. But at least this guy gives a detailed review

This particular taste test loses points, IMHO, for concepualizing or implementation. I did like the idea of putting all the types on equal footing by taste testing only vanilla ice cream. but then when not every brand has a vanilla, is there any added utility to substituting the company's Banana Cream or Strawberry?

Still, it gives you some ideas of some things to try for yourself.

Taste Testing Non-Dairy Ice Creams.

Taste tests performed by one guy - or even a small group of people is, IMHO, of limited utility.
I"m more impressed when they average 5 or more scores. With just one taste tester there is going to be more bias injected into the test. But at least this guy gives a detailed review

This particular taste test loses points, IMHO, for concepualizing or implementation. I did like the idea of putting all the types on equal footing by taste testing only vanilla ice cream. but then when not every brand has a vanilla, is there any added utility to substituting the company's Banana Cream or Strawberry?

Still, it gives you some ideas of some things to try for yourself.

Ive only had B&J's and TJ's. I'm not fond of most 'stuff' in my ice cream, but I do like things like waffle cone, and chocolate covered pretzels. I never see that in non dairys. TJ's strawberry was ok, but def needed more strawberry flavor cause it was delicious!

I just want a coffee ice cream with thick fudge swirls. Who makes that?

Ive only had B&J's and TJ's. I'm not fond of most 'stuff' in my ice cream, but I do like things like waffle cone, and chocolate covered pretzels. I never see that in non dairys. TJ's strawberry was ok, but def needed more strawberry flavor cause it was delicious!

I just want a coffee ice cream with thick fudge swirls. Who makes that?
I had a B&J’s with pretzels…I think I posted that I had it on pretzel day. But the sad thing was, when I ate it, I didn’t taste any pretzels…but it clearly said pieces of pretzel. I was bummed but it was still good.

I had a B&J’s with pretzels…I think I posted that I had it on pretzel day. But the sad thing was, when I ate it, I didn’t taste any pretzels…but it clearly said pieces of pretzel. I was bummed but it was still good.
I stand corrected…it says pretzel swirls…so maybe the pretzels were crushed.

Peanut Butter Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert with Sweet & Salty Pretzel Swirls & Fudge Brownies

I stand corrected…it says pretzel swirls…so maybe the pretzels were crushed.

Peanut Butter Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert with Sweet & Salty Pretzel Swirls & Fudge Brownies
BLehH. I just tortured myself looking at dairy ice cream flavors. so. dam. good. F vegan ice cream! Almost surprised they don't have avocado and cilantro to make it even worse :unamused:
Anyway......This isn't the gripe thread.

MasterPizza now has vegan mozz, and Plant based sausage and pepperoni!

Reactions: KLS52
Funny but I really like the vegan ice cream now, especially B&J’s. Although my favorite was so delicious mocha almond fudge but the soy milk version. I haven’t seen that in years.

Funny but I really like the vegan ice cream now, especially B&J’s. Although my favorite was so delicious mocha almond fudge but the soy milk version. I haven’t seen that in years.
I do like vegan ice creams, but rarely buy them. Lately I've craved ice cream, and all I see are flavors I don't want
I'd love caramel swirl, chocolate covered waffle cone....in either almond,soy, or oat

I had a bag of Violife mozzerella shreds open for a while. I tasted some today and they taste just like blue cheese :hmm:. they did not taste like that before! They don't look spoiled, and actually tasted pretty good.....what to do? (I know, I know)

I had a bag of Violife mozzerella shreds open for a while. I tasted some today and they taste just like blue cheese :hmm:. they did not taste like that before! They don't look spoiled, and actually tasted pretty good.....what to do? (I know, I know)
If they’re not blue/green eat them. 😁

• Wow
Reactions: silva
I just bought Breyers non dairy cookies and creme---totally disappointed! :down:
Not at all creamy, just cloyingly sweet, even the cookies.
Breyers was both on sale,and an online coupon I clipped for 2 off of 2, so I got my sons reg and figured a good time to try this non dairy
I'm done. If I want ice cream I can look at the local custard stand which has vegan flavors of the day. Again, hard to find one I like :shrug:.What's with you people and peanut butter?

• Sad
I just bought Breyers non dairy cookies and creme---totally disappointed! :down:
Not at all creamy, just cloyingly sweet, even the cookies.
Breyers was both on sale,and an online coupon I clipped for 2 off of 2, so I got my sons reg and figured a good time to try this non dairy
I'm done. If I want ice cream I can look at the local custard stand which has vegan flavors of the day. Again, hard to find one I like :shrug:.What's with you people and peanut butter?

so sorry you are disappointed - it isn't amazing and it is sweet and that's why my cartons last a long time - I just have a few spoonfuls and it satisfies that craving and we have a few Dad's oatmeal cookies with it

we do prefer the peanut butter one as it isn't as sweet and they were supposed to be coming out with a mint chocolate chip one and I haven't seen it as yet...

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

so sorry you are disappointed - it isn't amazing and it is sweet and that's why my cartons last a long time - I just have a few spoonfuls and it satisfies that craving and we have a few Dad's oatmeal cookies with it

we do prefer the peanut butter one as it isn't as sweet and they were supposed to be coming out with a mint chocolate chip one and I haven't seen it as yet...

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com
I've had the mint chocolate chip one and the cookie one - Both were Ok. Not my favorites but the price is right.
I like the mint chip one best.
Just the other day I got the chocolate chocolate chip. So far that's my favorite of the Breyer's flavors. It wasn't on sale but it still was the best price of non-dairy in the store.
Hope to see the PB one some day. I bet I would like that one.

I had the Breyers mint chocolate, and pretty sure the chocolate chocolate chip. I felt the same about them, but got all happy to see it on sale.
I am not one to be satisfied with sub par foods when I have cravings, they only make me crave what I want so much more!
Like the Thai restaurant- it's more expensive than any other Chinese, but being disappointed and saving money is a really bad feeling! I learned to order from the one I know will be good, regardless of being more pricey

• Agree
I still haven’t seen breyer’s non dairy in the stores. I will definitely buy it if I see it. I love mint chip and peanut butter. I’m sure I’ll like it, although breyer’s was always my least favorite brand for ice cream. But I would really like to at least try the non dairy.

I still haven’t seen breyer’s non dairy in the stores. I will definitely buy it if I see it. I love mint chip and peanut butter. I’m sure I’ll like it, although breyer’s was always my least favorite brand for ice cream. But I would really like to at least try the non dairy.
I don't often see it either, which is why I jumped on it. Breyers actually was one of my favorite dairy ice creams. This one has no creaminess, just sweet, and a weird texture. I'd rather have sorbet

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
I'd been wanting the Non Dairy Evolution for soooo long, long before really liking so many vegan cheeses. Most all the good recipes call for kappa carrageenan, which will end up costing more than I spend on vegan cheese!
I just bought Modernist Pantry brand, which is the most preferred, so I'll see how much I feel it's worth my effort!

Anyone use kappa carrageenan in making cheese? I have to say my better buffalo mozz should be pretty fantastic if the texture was more mozz like!