The Everything Non-Dairy Thread

I tried a couple of these (mint and chocolate/ peanut butter) and really liked them. Then again I’ve never been a fan of creamy milk flavored products. It’s more on the ice water side which I like. I just like to shave it off thin with a spoon as a cold treat on a hot day.

Faba bean based, vegan, low on all the bad stuff. It was $5 a pint at my local store which is in line with everything else.

Reactions: Emma JC
The local supermarket had Breyer's on sale. $5 for half gallon.
Only had choc choc chip, and mint chip.
Still haven't been able to try the PB
I had the choc choc chip last time so I got the mint chip again.

• Friendly
The local supermarket had Breyer's on sale. $5 for half gallon.
Only had choc choc chip, and mint chip.
Still haven't been able to try the PB
I had the choc choc chip last time so I got the mint chip again.

I am so so jealous - I would like to have some of the mint chip so badly!! maybe I will choose to be happy I can't get, 'cause if I could I would eat it. LOL

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I am so so jealous - I would like to have some of the mint chip so badly!! maybe I will choose to be happy I can't get, 'cause if I could I would eat it. LOL

Emma JC
Why? you just run out or are they hard to find.

I've been looking for the PB one for years. The mint chip I've had a bunch. and just once did I have the chocolate chocolate chip

Publix had Breyer's Ice Cream buy one get one free and actually had the new vanilla oat milk non-dairy in stock! So I got 2 cartons because I know I like oat milk ice cream. This is the first time I have seen vanilla. I give it 5 stars! It is creamy and delicious and reminds me of soft serve ice cream. I wish it wasn't so expensive. The only time I will get it is when it is BOGO.

Publix had Breyer's Ice Cream buy one get one free and actually had the new vanilla oat milk non-dairy in stock! So I got 2 cartons because I know I like oat milk ice cream. This is the first time I have seen vanilla. I give it 5 stars! It is creamy and delicious and reminds me of soft serve ice cream. I wish it wasn't so expensive. The only time I will get it is when it is BOGO.

They are the larger cartons, though, no? each is equivalent to 3 pints so still a lot less expensive than the other vegan equivalents?

This is exciting news, I hope I see it in one of my supermarkets soon as I still haven't seen the Mint Chip one yet.

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou
They are the larger cartons, though, no? each is equivalent to 3 pints so still a lot less expensive than the other vegan equivalents?

This is exciting news, I hope I see it in one of my supermarkets soon as I still haven't seen the Mint Chip one yet.

Emma JC
Yes these are the 3 pint sized cartons.

Reactions: Lou
I'll take a look next time I go shopping.
It's funny how when it's cold I crave ice cream. Could it be the fat content?

Emma JC
Just got the mint chip. Still looking for the peanut butter flavored one.

• Wow
I hadn't heart the term Nepo Baby till Jaime Lee Curtis said she was one at the Sag Awards.

but here now Silk Next Milk has an ad campaign based on Nepo Babies.

I think Next Milk is better than Not Milk but give me Soy milk anyday. Meanwhile all these other alternatives are making it hard to find soy milk on the shelf. Plus its getting so expensive. So I have been buying Next Milk anyway,

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52

We covered this just the other day in the "News" forum.
This article is more or less the same as the one posted over there but discusses the FDA's recommendation that non-dairy milk manufactures "include voluntary nutrition statements that compare vegan milk to dairy milk as a standard—which has sparked widespread opposition."

On principal I can see that this is a bad thing. It's sort of unfair, and it could set a bad precedent.
But I think it might be fun to tease or torment big dairy.

Like on the container of Silk Soy Milk it could say, "this products contains only one less gram of protein but less than half the calories of Lucerne whole milk."
Probably something similar can be done with Calcium, sugar, fat, cholesterol, etc.

Emma JC
Yeah, when you look at it like that! 🤔. I kinda got used to pints being 3-4, but still think of half gallons like what they were when my kids were little 😄
I'd try the vanilla oat milk if on sale. I dislike all the Breyers almond a lot, so maybe not. Ice cream I guess I lost my taste for. Hard to find the flavors I liked

My local ice cream place opened for the season!

I really like VIolife mozz shreds, so I tried their cheddar slices. Not liking them at all! I like other cheddars, so i had high hopes

• Sad
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
An article about why some Australian states had peanut butter and others had peanut paste.

• Wow
Still making headlines

A couple of really good quotes from the article

Consumers don’t seem to have a difficult time understanding that peanut butter doesn’t contain cow-derived butter, hamburgers don’t contain pig-derived ham and hot dogs don’t contain, well, you know. The same is so with oat milk.​
Senators from dairy states ... vowed to reintroduce legislation to crack down on the oat milk trend. Their DAIRY PRIDE Act (The Defending Against Imitations and Replacements of Yogurt, Milk, and Cheese To Promote Regular Intake of Dairy Everyday Act) would ban the use of terms like “milk” on dairy-free drinks, and essentially force these companies to use terms like “almond beverage.”​
Such efforts are hardly new. As early as the 1860s, lawmakers protecting the dairy industry were crusading against margarine with taxes and even laws requiring alt-butter to be dyed pink​
While recommending the allowance of “milk” terms, the FDA also proposes on-carton disclosure of a nutritional comparison between the dairy-free product to cow’s milk, such as a protein content. Setting aside the fact that protein deficiency is virtually non-existent in the United States, the FDA already requires nutrition facts panels on such foods, so why the forced speech?​
Consumers are smart enough to understand that different products have different nutritional values. Skim milk and whole milk aren’t the same, for example, yet the FDA doesn’t force whole milk producers to disclose on-carton that it contains nearly twice as many calories as skim milk. Similarly, there’s no requirement for goat milk producers to include on-carton verbiage about how it has more sodium than cow’s milk.
Even further, it seems quite unlikely that the FDA will soon require that cow’s milk cartons disclose how much more cholesterol they have than plant-based milks. (All plant-based milks have zero cholesterol.) Or mandatory disclosure about how much more land and water cow’s milkrequires compared to oat milk, which is very substantial.​

I really like VIolife mozz shreds, so I tried their cheddar slices. Not liking them at all! I like other cheddars, so i had high hopes
I agree on the Violife cheddar. My favorite Violife is the Parm, but it's not always available. I'm actually liking Trader Joe's mozz shreds better than Violife's.

• Informative
Reactions: KLS52