The Everything Non-Dairy Thread

I agree on the Violife cheddar. My favorite Violife is the Parm, but it's not always available. I'm actually liking Trader Joe's mozz shreds better than Violife's.
Trader Joe's has two types of mozzarella. one is cashew based and one is almond based. I've tried them both and the cashew one is better but more expensive. Myoko makes the best mozzarella and now I only buy the liquid for pizza.
Still looking for a good parm. Used to just get Go Veggie! but its harder to find nowadays. I think I got the TJ parm shreds last time and not a fan.

Trader Joe's has two types of mozzarella. one is cashew based and one is almond based. I've tried them both and the cashew one is better but more expensive. Myoko makes the best mozzarella and now I only buy the liquid for pizza.
Still looking for a good parm. Used to just get Go Veggie! but its harder to find nowadays. I think I got the TJ parm shreds last time and not a fan.
I must be weird, but the two Miyoko products I tried (cream cheese and butter) I did not like. I was hopeful because so many people seem to rave about Miyoko products, but so far I'm not impressed. I probably had the cashew mozz from TJ's, and I did like it quite a lot. I would buy it again.

I must be weird, but the two Miyoko products I tried (cream cheese and butter) I did not like. I was hopeful because so many people seem to rave about Miyoko products, but so far I'm not impressed. I probably had the cashew mozz from TJ's, and I did like it quite a lot. I would buy it again.

I also liked this cheeze. It was quite tasty and melted perfectly well.

• Agree
Reactions: PTree15
I really like Violife cheddar shreds, so much better than Daiya. I also love Violife parmesan and feta.

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
Trader Joes almond milk shreds aren't vegan though!
I did like their cashew shreds. I forget how much. When I bought Violife it was a store coupon for $2.99! Limit one... :worried:
I now have carageenan and the Non Dairy Evolution book so I no longer feel deserving of store bought cheese :rofl:

Reactions: KLS52
Trader Joes almond milk shreds aren't vegan though!
I did like their cashew shreds. I forget how much. When I bought Violife it was a store coupon for $2.99! Limit one... :worried:
I now have carageenan and the Non Dairy Evolution book so I no longer feel deserving of store bought cheese :rofl:
Wow, they seem to market the almond shreds like something that's not cheese. I'll be sure to read the labels even more carefully. Thanks for the heads-up.

Why are plant milks so expensive?

The article below attempts to answer that question.

This article barely mentions Soy milk. but from my own experience in the supermarket, Soy milk cost more that oat milk which costs more than almond milk. Also the article should have been updated to include products like Next Milk and Not Milk.

I've been buying Next Milk because its sometimes cheaper and also sometimes the store is out of soy milk

And like the survey said, I've cut down on my non-dairy purchase because of inflation. Twenty- five to thirty-three percent less now. But some of that is not just the cost but the availability.

Some choice quotes
on average, plant milks now cost twice as much as good, old-fashioned cow’s milk,​
Bon Appétit found that the cheapest whole dairy milk at supermarkets was two cents an ounce at Walmart, while almond milk cost four cents and oat six cents.​
surely it doesn’t cost nearly as much to raise an oat as it does a cow.​
in times of inflation, 56% of dairy drinkers claimed they would continue to buy the same amount of milk, while just 36% of soy milk drinkers and 32% of other plant milk drinkers said the same – perhaps because those milks were more expensive to begin with.​

Milk Wars Heat Up

Just last month, America’s Milk Companies released a campaign featuring actress Aubrey Plaza, one that takes a very clearly snarky jab at plant-based milks. I

Silk has launched its own version of the milk mustache campaign for “the next generation of milk drinkers.” Silk’s version specifically showcased the children of celebrities who had originally been part of the original Got Milk? campaign.

Oatly, ...is calling out the dairy milk industry directly
The “Climate Footprint Challenge” offers to pay for “Big Dairy’s” ad space, if the dairy industry releases data about its climate footprint. Oatly issued this challenge via full-page ads in major media outlets and with billboards in Times Square and on Hollywood Blvd.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Milk Wars Heat Up
Milk wars escalate.

The article I linked to below has a good blow by blow of the milk wars so far. And explains the latest battle.

The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, a nonprofit public health advocacy organization, recently filed a complaint with The United States Department of Agriculture’s Office of Inspector General. The complaint alleges that the satirical campaign for fictitious milk featuring Plaza, released in April,was potentially unlawfully approved by the USDA’s Agricultural Marketing Service.​

Reactions: Emma JC
Hi everyone. I heard vegan food companies have the issue that they don't know what to do with the residue after production (eg. oat pulp left over from making the milk). Do you know anything about that? And as vegan consumers would you help to fill out this 2 question survey? My friends and I are working on a startup business to tackle this challenge. Netigate

Hi everyone. I heard vegan food companies have the issue that they don't know what to do with the residue after production (eg. oat pulp left over from making the milk). Do you know anything about that? And as vegan consumers would you help to fill out this 2 question survey? My friends and I are working on a startup business to tackle this challenge. Netigate

I posted about that somewhere.....

Here are some other links.

I'm almost sure I read somewhere about them using fermentation and turning it to beer.

Oat milk is more than organic soy milk here in Ohio.
Oat milks tastes vary quite a bit from brand to brand. I tried So Delicious organic oatmilk when bogo and it was terrible! Had an odd vanilla undertone though it was labeled plain. Really the taste and texture was like the few homemade oat milks I've tried, and also disliked!
I buy Aldi oat and Chobani extra creamy when on sale.
Soy milk prices are comparable to dairy, maybe cheaper as it's usually organic and organic dairy is a lot more

Reactions: Lou
Is there a by product problem? With all the bars, breads, crackers and powders I expected them to be from the pulps!

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Is there a by product problem? With all the bars, breads, crackers and powders I expected them to be from the pulps!
I think its because oat milk became so popular so fast.
But come to think of it. It shouldn't be that much of an issue. I know the waste from soy milk goes into so many things. and probably the number one destination for soy bean pulp is cattle feed. you'd think it would be the same for oats.
but hey. what about almond milk waste?

I think its because oat milk became so popular so fast.
But come to think of it. It shouldn't be that much of an issue. I know the waste from soy milk goes into so many things. and probably the number one destination for soy bean pulp is cattle feed. you'd think it would be the same for oats.
but hey. what about almond milk waste?
Keto bread? Almond flour?

Hi all,

first of all, thank you for the replies.
Some oat milk producers deliver their oat pulp to animal farms in order to get rid of it.
Usually people in the vegan community do not like this.
Some oat milk producers looking already for better solutions.
It would really help us to tackle these problems with our startup.
If you can take part in the survey, it would be of great help.