The Everything Non-Dairy Thread

I just bought it again. What do you like better?
Up until now I've been alternating between Trader Joes Mozzarella (cashew) shreds and Miyoko's Mozzarella shreds (also cashew).
Oddly enough I’m very happy with Daiya shreds. I know a lot of people think it’s sub par. Miyoko’s cooked up beautifully but it left an after taste and it’s repeating on me. I don’t even think I can use it up but I may try one more time.

Oddly enough I’m very happy with Daiya shreds. I know a lot of people think it’s sub par. Miyoko’s cooked up beautifully but it left an after taste and it’s repeating on me. I don’t even think I can use it up but I may try one more time.

I hate that when it happens. However, I've also been very disappointed with many pb cheeses. Some of them have been binned.

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
Oddly enough I’m very happy with Daiya shreds. I know a lot of people think it’s sub par.
I don't think I've tried the "new and improved" Daiya shreds. My favorite thing to say about the old ones was that it was a good way to ruin a nice pizza. I would rather not have any Cheezze on my pizza that the original Daiya. Will try the new one next time.

I have to admit that the thing I really like about the Miyoko's is the appearance. Of course it melts well - it starts off as a liquid. but it also browns nicely too.

I don't think I've tried the "new and improved" Daiya shreds. My favorite thing to say about the old ones was that it was a good way to ruin a nice pizza. I would rather not have any Cheezze on my pizza that the original Daiya. Will try the new one next time.

I have to admit that the thing I really like about the Miyoko's is the appearance. Of course it melts well - it starts off as a liquid. but it also browns nicely too.
Which original Daiya? They've had sooo many! I like the farmhouse cheddar, jalepano havarti, and provolone. I hate all their shreds.
I'm afraid to try the new ones that are made with chickpeas. I've had a real aversion to chickpea everything

I loved the Violife smoked provolone shreds
Not a fan of TJ's vegan cheeses, though the slices are good for nachoes and on toasted sandwiches

I have to buy some kappa carageenan and make Miyokos mozz recipe that melts. I make my variation of her better buffalo mozz about weekly. The melty version takes carageenan

Reactions: Lou
Which original Daiya?
Mozzarella shreds. We are talking pizza.

but come to think of it. Daiya is my last choice for all PB cheeses. Besides Mozzarella I don't have much use for PB cheeses. I do buy Field Roast Chao slice for sandwiches.

Even before going vegan I did not like cheddar, havarti, or provolone. Swiss was my main to go to cheese. don't think I've ever seen PB Swiss.

Mozzarella shreds. We are talking pizza.

but come to think of it. Daiya is my last choice for all PB cheeses. Besides Mozzarella I don't have much use for PB cheeses. I do buy Field Roast Chao slice for sandwiches.

Even before going vegan I did not like cheddar, havarti, or provolone. Swiss was my main to go to cheese. don't think I've ever seen PB Swiss.
Daiya block provolone is much better than their shreds though! I can't tell a difference between provolone and mozzerella though ...
I did have Daiya swiss slices (only saw them once!), nothing like Swiss,and I didn't like
I hated Chao
I do really like FYH cheeses,esp smoked gouda, and their provolone slices

• Informative
Reactions: Lou and PTree15
The Daiya shreds are OK, but I like their blocks better, though I haven't been able to find them lately. I also like the smoked gouda (I forget the brand, FYH?).

I have yet to like anything Miyoko's. I've tried the butter and the cream cheese and I found them both gross. I think I bought the unsalted butter by mistake, and that may have been part of the problem, but otherwise it was just flavorless. The cream cheese was vile, IMHO. :D So because of that, I haven't wanted to try their cheeses.

I actually like Violife a lot, mostly the block/triangle of Parmesan. Their cheddar slices are just OK, but they melt well and satisfy the craving for creamy texture.

Reactions: KLS52 and Lou
Daiya block provolone is much better than their shreds though! I can't tell a difference between provolone and mozzerella though ...
I did have Daiya swiss slices (only saw them once!), nothing like Swiss,and I didn't like
I hated Chao
I do really like FYH cheeses,esp smoked gouda, and their provolone slices
ok, I'm going to try the Daiya block provolone next.

The Daiya shreds are OK, but I like their blocks better, though I haven't been able to find them lately. I also like the smoked gouda (I forget the brand, FYH?).

I have yet to like anything Miyoko's. I've tried the butter and the cream cheese and I found them both gross. I think I bought the unsalted butter by mistake, and that may have been part of the problem, but otherwise it was just flavorless. The cream cheese was vile, IMHO. :D So because of that, I haven't wanted to try their cheeses.

I actually like Violife a lot, mostly the block/triangle of Parmesan. Their cheddar slices are just OK, but they melt well and satisfy the craving for creamy texture.
I bought some PB lox flavored cream cheese at Trader Joe's. but I can't remember if it was Miyoko's or TJ's own brand. Anyway I really liked it on my bagels.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15

The blocks are better but not readily available to me. And the shreds are more convenient so I’m glad I like them.

I’m shocked at your reaction to the Miyoko’s butter lol. The unsalted is not good though. Sometimes it’s all I can get so I sprinkle the tiniest amount of salt when I use it. The first time I had it it was sour. Not sure what that was about. But not the ones I bought after that. I love her salted butter and interestingly enough my son and grandson prefer it to dairy butter.

I did not like anything else of Miyoko’s including the cream cheese or her mozzarella, both chunk and pourable one.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15
I really like the Earth Island shreds as they melt well and taste good - I believe it is Follow Your Heart in the USA, not sure if they are in the UK or Europe.

Violife is my next choice and they have been out of stock for a few weeks.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
I haven't had any commercial products by Miyoko, but I make her Better Buffalo mozz almost every week- just put a bowl in IP to culture now! (my own tweak)
Just raw cashews, plain soy yogurt, tapioca starch, nooch and agar--maybe a couple Tblsp of refined coconut oil if I think of it

I haven't had any commercial products by Miyoko, but I make her Better Buffalo mozz almost every week- just put a bowl in IP to culture now! (my own tweak)
Just raw cashews, plain soy yogurt, tapioca starch, nooch and agar--maybe a couple Tblsp of refined coconut oil if I think of it
I’ve made her butter recipe but not in awhile as I hate cleaning the oil/lecithin from the blender. It’s so greasy/thick. It’s really good though.

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC
I’ve made her butter recipe but not in awhile as I hate cleaning the oil/lecithin from the blender. It’s so greasy/thick. It’s really good though.
I think that recipe might be better than any vegan spread I've bought, but I also couldn't get past the greasiness. I had a bottle of soy lecithin I let spoil that I bought just for the buttah recipe :pensive:
It also seemed to spoil fast and i'd have to divide and freeze half. When I stopped I found how much I could use vegan mayo for, which is much easier to make once I got in the habit!

• Informative
Reactions: KLS52 and Emma JC
I’m annoyed that I can’t find the Caramel Almond Brittle. I first had it in a B&J’s store in Cape Cod a few years ago. I found it in one store once and then never again. :cry:

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou