Supper/Dinner Time! What's on the menu ?

Miso parsnips and onions are on the go. I threw in some potato too because why the heck not.

They won't be done until late, though, so I had myself some lentils and sweet potato with ketchup. I'm sure that combination sounds gross, but I quite like it.

More seitan stew. I will make this again when I restock the potato and carrot supply. So good.

I made a huge batch the other day. I have already frozen a 1/3 of it in slices and chunks. I love seitan. :heart_eyes:

Talking about stews, I like making seitan & root vegetable goulash with dumplings. :lick:

I made a huge batch the other day. I have already frozen a 1/3 of it in slices and chunks. I love seitan. :heart_eyes:

Talking about stews, I like making seitan & root vegetable goulash with dumplings. :lick:
Seitan is my favorite protein. :) I am going to make another batch to put in the freezer. But I think I will wait until Tuesday. We are expecting awful wind tomorrow, and power outages are likely, so I don't want to put more stuff in the freezer right now. I'm going to make some extra ice to keep in the freezer in case we lose power.

Oh, and dinner tonight will likely be more seitan stew, but just a small bowl, as I'm having my big meal at lunch for Easter.

Seitan is my favorite protein. :) I am going to make another batch to put in the freezer. But I think I will wait until Tuesday. We are expecting awful wind tomorrow, and power outages are likely, so I don't want to put more stuff in the freezer right now. I'm going to make some extra ice to keep in the freezer in case we lose power.

Oh, and dinner tonight will likely be more seitan stew, but just a small bowl, as I'm having my big meal at lunch for Easter.

Have you ever made seitan dough and let it rest overnight, without any kneading?
I really wanted to do that yesterday so I could cook it today, but forgot.
I think I'll make some maple breakfast links with my silicone sausage molds. I liked them so much but they've been forgotten

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Val

Same here. I couldn't live without seitan. I'm also running out of wheat gluten as the firm from whom I order it has closed down due to the lockdown.

Your food in the freezer should be fine as long as you don't open the door.

Reactions: Emma JC
Have you ever made seitan dough and let it rest overnight, without any kneading?
I really wanted to do that yesterday so I could cook it today, but forgot.
I think I'll make some maple breakfast links with my silicone sausage molds. I liked them so much but they've been forgotten
I have not. I don't have the patience to wait, haha. :) I have not tried maple sausage links, but I think I might. They would pair well with a tofu scramble. :p

• Friendly
Same here. I couldn't live without seitan. I'm also running out of wheat gluten as the firm from whom I order it has closed down due to the lockdown.

Your food in the freezer should be fine as long as you don't open the door.
That's true about the freezer. I've just made a nut loaf, so half of that will go in the freezer. :D
I hope you get to order wheat gluten soon! I have a good supply for now, but it can go fast when making seitan and chickpea cutlets and whatnot.

Nut loaf is my favourite dish. I still have a pack of frozen gravy just in case I make loaf.
It is so tasty! I am eating it now :) I made a gravy with the leftover veggie stock from the nut loaf, as I didn't use it all. It came out much better than some of the vegan gravy recipes I've tried. I just threw all kinds of things in it like Bragg's liquid aminos, onion and garlic powder, EB, flour and vegan Worcestershire sauce. It's delicious.

Sliced seitan, a jacket potato with spread plus a white cabbage slaw with pumpkin seeds/mustard vinaigrette and yeast flakes.
kiwi & raspberry salad.
Cherry & elderflower infusion.

It is so tasty! I am eating it now :) I made a gravy with the leftover veggie stock from the nut loaf, as I didn't use it all. It came out much better than some of the vegan gravy recipes I've tried. I just threw all kinds of things in it like Bragg's liquid aminos, onion and garlic powder, EB, flour and vegan Worcestershire sauce. It's delicious.

Sounds nice. A tsp of berry jam in gravy gives it more depth.

Reactions: Emma JC

My boyfriend was just sharing that same forecast with me. I guess it's hitting all of New England. Luckily we did our cooking for the next few days yesterday. Can you share with me your favorite seitan recipes? We've been experimenting with it the past couple of weeks, first with the chickpea cutlets and yesterday with some chicken style cutlets to be used for either sandwiches or perhaps dinner with some pasta and a fancy sauce. Those versions are both baked, but aren't there ones you simmer on the stove as well?

Reactions: Val and PTree15
My boyfriend was just sharing that same forecast with me. I guess it's hitting all of New England. Luckily we did our cooking for the next few days yesterday. Can you share with me your favorite seitan recipes? We've been experimenting with it the past couple of weeks, first with the chickpea cutlets and yesterday with some chicken style cutlets to be used for either sandwiches or perhaps dinner with some pasta and a fancy sauce. Those versions are both baked, but aren't there ones you simmer on the stove as well?
@GingerFoxx Yes, I guess it's the storm that is ravaging parts of the South today that will be moving our way. I, too, am glad I have done a fair amount of cooking for this week (I have seitan stew and nut loaf, among other things).
I have found that I really like the baked seitan best, as it comes out much more tender than the stove-simmering version. It may be that I haven't really mastered the simmering method. On the other hand, the steamed seitan sausages come out fantastic.

I use the sausage recipe from the Post Punk Kitchen. You can really play around with flavors and textures in this recipe. It calls for white beans, I think, but I have used black beans and kidney beans as well. Each type of bean adds its subtle flavors. I especially like using black beans, but really, any soft bean will do. You can also play with the spices. It's a great recipe. My omnivore father will even eat them. He loves them.

This is the latest seitan recipe I have been using for just about all of my seitan dishes (including nuggets). I had been looking for a recipe that provided a denser, but still tender seitan, and this one really fits the bill IMHO. This is a recipe for buffalo nuggets, but instead of making the smaller pieces, I divide it into four pieces that almost come out like a squarish patty. This is great to eat as is, or you can add it to pot pies, stir-fries and stews. And of course, the nuggets. :)

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: GingerFoxx and Val
The chickpea cutlets from Isa I make as written, but then dredge in flour, lightly saute, then add a weak no chik'n broth, halfway up the sides and simmer, then flip when it's get absorbed and add some more broth for the second side. I found just frying them made them tough and dry, and this way is like cutlets in gravy

Reactions: Val and PTree15