Supper/Dinner Time! What's on the menu ?

We've been trying to avoid the grocery store at all costs, per the CDC's recommendation, but after a week I was completely out of produce for my rabbits, which was noticeably messing with their well being. Additionally, my boyfriend's digestive issues were flaring due to a lack of yogurt and other perishable dietary staples. We stuck it out a bit longer, but just shy of the 2 week mark we decided to venture out. Our aim is to buy our perishables two weeks at a time, so we can still limit our public interaction. Thankfully our non perishables are still in ample supply.

So while we were out, I bought the ingredients I was missing to make a batch of seitan reubens from scratch. The end result was tasty, but I think the spices in the corned beef brine used to infuse into the seitan could have been stronger. It's not easy finding a recipe for a convincing analog. The authentic ones were always a favorite of my boyfriend, and he's been eating a vegetarian diet for a few months now, so I really wanted to treat him.

A stir fry made with white soya strips, red peppers, courgettes, carrots,broccoli mushrooms, jalapeno paste, ginger, garlic and soya sauce.
A fruit salad ; kiwis, blueberries & raspberries.
A glass of white Italian wine.

Do you have any tahini? that tastes amazing on rice and beans and would up your calorie count!

Emma JC
Oh, that is a great idea. The seitan recipe I have been using also has tahini in it, and I think it really enhances the flavor.

Tonight I am in the mood for pasta. So I'm going to have pesto pasta with onions and olives, a small salad with Italian dressing, and a glass of red wine.

Reactions: Val
vegetable tofu stir fry over rice.
514 calories and 28 g of protein.

Tried making the tofu in the panini maker. I haven't used it in years. The maker I have turns off when it reaches a certain temperature. do it didn't cook the tofu enough. Maybe I have to cut the tofu thinner. Anyway, i finished cooking the tofu with the veggies and it came out pretty good.

For dessert, since I'm out of soy milk I'm going to make a banana milk smoothie.

I really don't like the taste of tahini as I find it very bitter.

I am making marinated tofu as I have some left with steamed veggies and the last of my brown rice.

vegetable tofu stir fry over rice.
514 calories and 28 g of protein.

Tried making the tofu in the panini maker. I haven't used it in years. The maker I have turns off when it reaches a certain temperature. do it didn't cook the tofu enough. Maybe I have to cut the tofu thinner. Anyway, i finished cooking the tofu with the veggies and it came out pretty good.

For dessert, since I'm out of soy milk I'm going to make a banana milk smoothie.

You could have turned it back on again. ;)

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
I really don't like the taste of tahini as I find it very bitter.

I am making marinated tofu as I have some left with steamed veggies and the last of my brown rice.

I think it may depend on the tahini as I have never had bitter.

Emma JC

I think it may depend on the tahini as I have never had bitter.

Emma JC
I've had different store bought tahinis as well as homemade from Lebanese restaurants, and I also find it bitter. I thought the idea of adding to rice and beans very odd!
I got another jar recently to make oil free salad dressings and still don't like it. I find it very overpowering

I've had different store bought tahinis as well as homemade from Lebanese restaurants, and I also find it bitter. I thought the idea of adding to rice and beans very odd!
I got another jar recently to make oil free salad dressings and still don't like it. I find it very overpowering

It is amazing how we all have different taste buds. I would drizzle it across almost everything I ate if it wasn't for the high fat content and so I limit myself to a drizzle or two a week. :rolleyes: For me it is as tasty as peanut butter.

Emma JC

Steamed brussels, garden peas, frankfurters plus a drizzle of evo/sprinkle of yeast flakes and French mustard.
Warm rhubarb (low carb) crumble with a scoop of almond ice cream.
A glass of white Italian wine.

Cuban black beans over rice
438 calories and 15 grams of protein

Dessert: Homemade banana pb icecream
280 calories, 10 g protein

Last edited:
Reactions: Val and PTree15
We've worked our way through the lentil empanadas/pasties. I pressure cooked and froze some dried chickpeas last week. My plan is to turn those into a casserole tonight. Originally I was thinking something with broccoli and rice or pasta and a creamy sauce. Then last night I was struck with inspiration to see if I can concoct some sort of thai peanut sauce or african peanut soup inspired chickpea casserole with rice and mixed veggies. We'll see how I am feeling after work.

Reactions: Val and PTree15