Let's talk tofu

sallyomally

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Tofu... that white,soggy, slightly gelatinous square of bean curd. I've learned to love it in the past year or so. How do you see it? Does it make you run in fear, or do you call it friend?Have you discovered a favorite way to cook with tofu? How do you store it? Which brand do you use most? Has anyone here ever made your own?

Found this from Herbivoracious.It's pretty much an advertisement for his cookbook, but does contain some interesting information.

.http://herbivoracious.com/2012/05/how-to-make-tofu-really-freaking-delicious-tofu-101.html

OMNOMNOMNOM.

I love tofu! I rarely cook with it from scratch, but it's so versatile :) when I do cook with it at home, it tends to be pre-prepared in some way. Although my boyfriend did buy me a tofu x-press, so I'm gonna start using it more often :)

I use a highly sophisticated system; a towel and my crock pot.:D My niece loves hers.I'm thinking of asking for one this Christmas. Do you always press your tofu? I usually freeze, thaw and press and store it in an airtight container, but some have said it's best to store tofu in salted water.

I use a highly sophisticated system; a towel and my crock pot.:D My niece loves hers.I'm thinking of asking for one this Christmas. Do you always press your tofu? I usually freeze, thaw and press and store it in an airtight container, but some have said it's best to store tofu in salted water.

I press it unless it's not necessary for the recipe (or it's pre-prepared). I used to do it with paper towels and plates and things, which is why I rarely used it - such a pain! Not had a chance to try out the x-press yet. I've never had to store it, either - it comes out of the packet in the fridge and just gets used straight away. I've heard freezing it changes the texture, though.

It makes it a bit more"meat-like", which is nice when making tofish or frying it up. I just think tofu is great and best of all, cheap!

I Love Tofu**

That was crude - in all seriousness - Tofu is the bomb.

I never bother pressing unless I'm making a Tofurkey or something that requires the tofu to be extremely dry. I find the key is to marinate well - season heartily - and bake until firm. And I always use sprouted tofu - much better than that soggy stuff.

img_2095.jpg

I love my tofu xpress! It is crazy expensive though and I don't think I ever would have bought it if the in-laws hadn't sent me a $50 visa gift card for my birthday ;)

I like tofu scramble or just simple marinated (water, garlic, braggs) baked tofu

I love tofu! Grilled tofu more specifically.

It's got to be really firm though.

How long does it need to marinate,and how does one prep for grilling? Do you have to spray the grill with non sticking anything?

I love tofu! I gifted myself with a Tofu Xpress earlier this year, and even though I don't use it often I'm impressed with how well it works.

I don't always have great luck cooking tofu, but my favorite way to cook it is in curries. Frozen, thawed, pressed, cut into cubes, then I toss it in the pan just after adding the curry paste and coconut milk, and let it all simmer.

By far my favorite brand is Trader Joe's, I get the organic extra-firm. I keep meaning to try a local brand I've seen at Whole Foods that comes pre-seasoned but I always first to buy some when I'm there.

Everyone has their own favorite way of preparing tofu so there's no right or wrong here. My favorite way of cooking it is 'low and slow' in my cast-iron skillet with very little if any oil. I slice it up and cook it over low heat for about thirty minutes so that all the liquid has a chance to evaporate out of it, and it gets a nice crust without adding a lot of fat. Then I add it to the dish I'm making... typically a stir fry. I also freeze all of my tofu immediately upon getting it home from the store, which adds some firmness to it. Mind you, I don't ever make 'soft' tofu dishes so my method doesn't apply to that.

How long does it need to marinate,and how does one prep for grilling? Do you have to spray the grill with non sticking anything?

In a pinch you can marinade for 30 minutes - (we typically use various pre-made marinades.) You'll find that some add more flavor than others. On some dishes - like coconut club tofu sandwiches, which calls for a garlic infused tofu - I marinade in garlic and oil spiced with basil overnight. It really sinks in and makes for awesome, full flavored tofu cutlets.

We have a grill with a no-stick surface - and it works very nicely without having to spray any oil. On a regular grill you will have to be pretty careful - because high heat will cause it to burn/stick to the bars.

Reactions: sallyomally
I like tofu scramble but I haven't ever mastered exactly how to cook tofu correctly when it comes to anything more difficult than that.:p Tofu in restaurants is usually delicious.

Ohhhhh I love tofu scramble. It took me a long time to find a recipe I liked but after I did, it was so wonderful!

Re: Grilled tofu... Am I recalling correctly that a grill in the UK is different from what Americans call a grill? I am picturing the little tofu slabs falling through the grates onto hot coals.

Yes, I love tofu!
But never after freezing...:no:
I agree on Trader Joes xfirm being best! I love to just slice it lengthwise, and in sticks. Sprinkle on Braggs or other marinade, then press in panko crumbs and lightly fry on an oiled cast iron till browned all over. :lick:

Also in stir fries, fried rice, and a quiche-like casserole with spinach and carmelized onions!

Been meaning to try the sprouted.

I love, love, LOVE tofu. So does Ziggy, the blue and gold macaw in my avatar. He definitely takes after me in his culinary likes and dislikes.:p

I don't like the texture when it's been frozen - too spongy, even if it was well pressed before freezing. Actually, I don't much press it anymore either.

I buy my tofu at Asian markets - fresher, and much, much cheaper. I have also made my own, and that is excellent, super fresh.

I like it baked, I like it fried, I like it scrambled. I like it in faux egg salad. I like silken in pies, quiches, smoothies. I like tofu every way.

I love tofu as well. One day I will get inspired and motivated enough to make my own from scratch.
These days I primarily like to use soft/silken tofu for mousse and other desserts, or for tofu omelets. The firm stuff I use mostly in stir-fries or for tofu scrambles. My boyfriend sometimes makes buffalo sauce for tofu, and I have that with salad. There are so many great recipes out there to try, but I like to try the ones that are no the usual asian-style with soy sauce methods.