Let's talk tofu

I used to bake pressed tofu, sliced really thin, with a marinade of liquid smoke, maple (or agave) syrup, sage and thyme-and enough water to half cover it in a baking dish, and bake, flipping once, until dry. Haven't made that for some time.My son loved it that way for sandwiches.

Oh wow,that sounds goooood! Do you remember the recipe? I would love to try this.

Yeah, how long do you bake it for roughly and at what temp? I want to try that for wraps and for when I want something that isn't high in protein so I can just eat it on the side. It sounds similar to the baked tofu that they sell at the grocery store that's way expensive.

I fried up some tofu in a pan today. Plan to have it in a sandwich for dinner

I fried up some tofu in a pan today. Plan to have it in a sandwich for dinner

That is what I had for last night's dinner; I just coated them in French mustard, lemon and black pepper seasoning and dipped them in wholemeal breadcrumbs. I served them with sauteed spelt pasta, broccoli and yams.

Reactions: Freesia
That sounds delicious!

Mine was pre marinated in soy sauce and I was in a hurry, so just threw it in the pan and fried the slices.

The sandwich/burger had:

-Thin layer of hummus on the bread
lettuce
tomato slices
tiny gherkins sliced
Thin layer of sweet chilli sauce on the fried tofu slices before putting in sandwich.

Was really tasty though I think I needed more tomato slices.

Made a tofu scramble a month back, was nice but a bit bland. I dont have things like aminos and I dont like nooch or black salt. Would be interested to know what others use in theirs.

I never cook soft tofu dishes... as far as I'm concerned tofu's only purpose it to soak up grease and salt and become crispy. :p

Reactions: thefadedone
Oh wow,that sounds goooood! Do you remember the recipe? I would love to try this.
I can't make anything the same way twice! I looked up the recipe and this is what I had:

Tofu Jerky
1/3 cup Braggs aminos (or soy sauce)
2 Tbs. liquid smoke
2 teas. onion powder
2 cloves garlic pressed
2 Tbs maple syrup
1 lb tofu sliced very thin

lay tofu in baking dish and pour marinade over it. Bake at 250 F and flip until dry.

This is what I'm making tonight, found on Allrecipes.com--

Baked Tofu Bites

• 1 (16 ounce) package extra firm tofu
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 2 tablespoons ketchup
  • 1 tablespoon vinegar
  • 1 dash hot sauce
  • 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly spray a non-stick baking sheet with oil.
  2. Slice tofu into 1/2-inch slices, and gently press excess water out of tofu. Cut sliced tofu into 1/2-inch cubes.
  3. In a bowl, stir together the soy sauce, maple syrup, ketchup, vinegar, and hot sauce. Stir in sesame seeds, garlic powder, black pepper, and liquid smoke. Gently stir tofu cubes into sauce. Cover, and marinate at least 5 minutes.
  4. Place the tofu on the baking sheet in a single layer. Bake in a preheated oven for 15 minutes. Turn tofu, and bake until the tofu turns golden brown, about 15 minutes more.

The baked tofu bite marinade was just right!
I did end up putting it in the wok I made veggies in, and adding 1/4 cup cold water with a tablespoon cornstarch whisked in. It made a perfect glaze. I will definitely make again, but stovetop.

Reactions: sallyomally
I have some silken tofu that has 'Best Before June 2011'...if I cook it really well, will it be ok to eat? I was thinking of making a quiche-esc thing with it?

I have some silken tofu that has 'Best Before June 2011'...if I cook it really well, will it be ok to eat? I was thinking of making a quiche-esc thing with it?

Do you mean 2011 or did you mean to type 2012? If it's 2011, no way I would eat that! lol :)
If it's 2012, if it looks and smells ok, I would probably give it whirl...although two months seems a bit long, IMO. And I'm not usually scared off by use by dates.

No its 2011.
It must have gotten pushed to the back of the cupboard and forgotten.

Im usually ok with 'best before' because it just means it wont be as nice after the date, whereas 'use by' means it may make you ill after the date. I dont know if the whole use/best before thing applies outside the UK... :S

Do you mean 2011 or did you mean to type 2012? If it's 2011, no way I would eat that! lol :)
If it's 2012, if it looks and smells ok, I would probably give it whirl...although two months seems a bit long, IMO. And I'm not usually scared off by use by dates.

Yeah same here but that is a long time and it's tofu of all things. Not something I'd want to risk.

I know...it happens to me more times than I'd like to admit. I hate wasting food, too.