Let's talk tofu

tofu is one of my favorite foods and scrambled is one of my favorite ways to prepare it. :chef:
nutritional yeast makes a good coating for baking or sautéing.

lots of good tips in this thread to try out.

I haven't had it in about 2 years. I used to make tofu scramble and salt'n'chilli tofu all the time, but my husband isn't a fan so I never make it.

we had scrambled tofu (with onion and mushrooms and spices) last night but instead of throwning in a few TB of nutritional yeast I threw in a few TB of leftover cashew "cheddar" cheese sauce and it was amaaaaazing. So creamy and tangy.

I really should attempt a tofu scramble one of these days. I've been vegetarian for over 4 years now and have yet to try it.

I'm about to attempt to make chocolate mousse filling for a chocolate cake with tofu for the first time.

Anybody have any tips about making chocolate mousse with tofu?

hehe Easy for you to say "don't worry"! I AM worried! This is not even THE cake. It's the draft cake, the trial cake, the dress rehearsal cake.

At work, when someone goes away, we get cake and drinks and give them a little send off. It's always a grocery bought cake and there is ALWAYS some discussion about Mary the Vegan who can't have cake. This time, I said I'll bring the cake. So it has to be magically delicious.

It's really easy. Don't worry about it! Silken tofu in desserts basically takes care of itself.
Any particular brand of tofu you would get?
The recipe I'm looking at is by Chocolate Covered Katie. It calls for "silk-firm" tofu. WTF does that mean?? *having semi panic attack*

Any particular brand of tofu you would get?
The recipe I'm looking at is by Chocolate Covered Katie. It calls for "silk-firm" tofu. WTF does that mean?? *having semi panic attack*
You know the tofus they sell in small sealed cartons? They're shelf stable but occasionally will be with the refrigerated tofu. I've only seen Mori-Nu brand in Canada, come to think of it. They have the texture of soft-medium tofu but are processed differently. There's soft, firm and extra firm and a reduced fat one - they're all pretty interchangeable in my experience. Stick with firm like she recommends or extra firm if you can't find it.

I promise they're really easy to bake with.

You know the tofus they sell in small sealed cartons? They're shelf stable but occasionally will be with the refrigerated tofu. I've only seen Mori-Nu brand in Canada, come to think of it. They have the texture of soft-medium tofu but are processed differently. There's soft, firm and extra firm and a reduced fat one - they're all pretty interchangeable in my experience. Stick with firm like she recommends or extra firm if you can't find it.

I promise they're really easy to bake with.
Thanks. I'm off to the store!

Mary, I'm sorry I just noticed your question now. The one thing that I think is important when using silken tofu for desserts or quiches is to really process it well in a food processor or blender - that gets the beaniness out of it. I process it for at least several minutes, while I'm assembling the other ingredients.