Let's talk tofu

Mary, I'm sorry I just noticed your question now. The one thing that I think is important when using silken tofu for desserts or quiches is to really process it well in a food processor or blender - that gets the beaniness out of it. I process it for at least several minutes, while I'm assembling the other ingredients.

hehe thanks anyway.

The chocolate mousse turned out perfect. I used a hand stick (immersion) blender for about a minute. I was really surprised that it was so good! No tofu-y taste at all!

It doesn't have to be, Alice. I sometimes make wraps with mine for lunch, or I just eat it as is for dinner, maybe with roasted potatoes or a green veggie.

Cool...I think of it as a replacement for scrambled eggs? Which I would have for lunch or dinner...I miss Scrambled eggs.

Reactions: PTree15
Cool...I think of it as a replacement for scrambled eggs? Which I would have for lunch or dinner...I miss Scrambled eggs.

Alice, I don't think that tofu tastes anything like a scrambled eggs. However that is only my opinion.;)

I have a whole 500 g slab of tofu in the fridge so am comtemplating on making marinated, roast tofu for tonight.
I'm not very keen on tofu except for tofu burgers which can be quite tasty if you add lots of other ingredients including mushroom extract.

Alice, I don't think that tofu tastes anything like a scrambled eggs. However that is only my opinion.;)

I have a whole 500 g slab of tofu in the fridge so am comtemplating on making marinated, roast tofu for tonight.
I'm not very keen on tofu except for tofu burgers which can be quite tasty if you add lots of other ingredients including mushroom extract.
The taste I remember is cheesey. My Mam or Dad would make Scrambled eggs when i was poorly, and put lots of grated cheese in too...then Id cover it in ketchup.
If the tofu made a eggy texture and I added vegan cheese and ketchup..it might be the same :drool:

The taste I remember is cheesey. My Mam or Dad would make Scrambled eggs when i was poorly, and put lots of grated cheese in too...then Id cover it in ketchup.
If the tofu made a eggy texture and I added vegan cheese and ketchup..it might be the same:drool:

;) I don't think so. Let me know what you think.

I like ackee as a substitute for scrambled eggs. It's a Jamaican fruit and it comes in a tin but it tastes savoury. It might be an acquired taste but I like it.

tin_ackee_zps1b5745f9.jpg

I don't really know how to describe the taste, it's something you probably have to try yourself.:) Poppy is right that black salt is good for making tofu taste eggy as I really didn't like it with that flavour as I don't miss that about eggs.:p