Let's talk tofu

Ooooo, I also really like Mabo Tofu, made with firm silken tofu cut into cubes. I just make it with a prepared mabo tofu sauce I get at the Asian grocery.

Lately I have been cutting up the block of tofu into eight slices and then baking it with olive oil and salt. Then I keep it in the fridge and take a couple slices for sandwiches or stir fries. One non-vegan thing I miss is egg noodles with my stir fries as I don't think rice noodles taste as nice.

Reactions: hungryraccoon
The Sainsbury's basic noodles are vegan, I think, and are pretty good.

Sainsbury's Instant Chicken Noodles, Basics 65g

Vegetarian_and_Vegan_v1_m56577569833682698.gif

PricePromotionQuantity and add to trolley
£0.11/unit
£1.69/kg

Item code: 6286346
Description
Basics Instant Noodles Chicken Flavour 65g
Dietary Information
Contains wheat gluten
Not suitable for sesame, celery or mustard allergy sufferers due to the methods used in the manufacture of this product.
Ingredients
Noodle Cake (92%) (Wheat Flour, Palm Oil, Modified Tapioca Starch, Water, Salt, Sugar, Garlic Powder, Stabiliser (Guar Gum), Stabiliser (Carboxymethylcellulose)), Flavour Sachet (8%) (Salt, Chicken Flavouring, Yeast Extract, Sugar, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Maltodextrin, Colour (Tumeric), White Pepper Powder, Dehydrated Carrots, Dehydrated Chives)

01148046_OSCO002_2_Spec2_v1_m56577569833696947.jpg

Tofu... that white,soggy, slightly gelatinous square of bean curd. I've learned to love it in the past year or so. How do you see it?
I see tofu as representative of all the best instincts in us, but at the same time, as unpredictable, frail, quick to anger and reflective of the emptiness prevailing on the postmodern cultural stage. In short, I like it with soy sauce.

Lately I have been cutting up the block of tofu into eight slices and then baking it with olive oil and salt. Then I keep it in the fridge and take a couple slices for sandwiches or stir fries. One non-vegan thing I miss is egg noodles with my stir fries as I don't think rice noodles taste as nice.

What about Udon noodles?

I almost always freeze tofu as soon as I buy it. I prefer the chewy and firmer texture of frozen/thawed tofu over unfrozen. The only times I don't freeze are if I am using it in a dessert recipe, tofu scramble, or making tofu ricotta.

Reactions: sallyomally
I've tried freezing it a few times and didn't care for the texture as much.

For pressing it I just use a small colander and I put in the block (or half a block or whatever amount I'm pressing) in there and then I put a small bowl that fits into the colander on top of the tofu and then a can of tomato sauce on top to weigh it down. I leave it for anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes depending on how well drained I want it. It works well enough for me.

I also really like the Wildwood sprouted tofu.

Tofu is probably my favorite high protein vegan food.

Ohhhhh I love tofu scramble. It took me a long time to find a recipe I liked but after I did, it was so wonderful!

Re: Grilled tofu... Am I recalling correctly that a grill in the UK is different from what Americans call a grill? I am picturing the little tofu slabs falling through the grates onto hot coals.
Yes a UK grill is not the same as yours. I believe your grill is a BBQ?
Our grill is part of the oven that heats up and basically toasts items, good for making cheese on toast...I think you guys call it a broiler...which sounds odd to me because its too close to the word 'boil'

Reactions: RabbitLuvr
I wonder if it would fall through? Probably so. I suppose one would need a little grilling basket.

Question: has anyone ever made your own tofu? I hear it's delicious.

Yes a UK grill is not the same as yours. I believe your grill is a BBQ?
Our grill is part of the oven that heats up and basically toasts items, good for making cheese on toast...I think you guys call it a broiler...which sounds odd to me because its too close to the word 'boil'

Ah, yes. Broiled tofu sounds a lot more do-able. Maybe I will make it in my toaster oven.

I've always wanted to BBQ tofu but I'm afraid of it falling through or sticking to the grill. Broiling in the oven might be a good alternative, I've never thought of doing that.

I've made tofu from scratch before and it was amazing but it was messy work. I think there's a machine that you can use for most of the process (soy milk maker?) but since I did it without anything other than a tofu box mold it took me several big pots and I made quite a mess. I'm sure if I did it a few more times I'd streamline my process better and make less of a mess and less dishes but I just haven't tried it in like a year. I used the recipe from Soundly Vegan (I mess them posting recipes) http://soundlyvegan.wordpress.com/2010/03/11/its-all-about-satisfying-a-craving/

I remember Soundly Vegan! She used to post the most incredible recipes. I suppose I'll wait until there's a tofu making machine;I'm too chicken to try making my own. Sounds messy and complicated.

Reactions: thefadedone
If you use a soy milk maker I think it would make it a lot less messy and far less time-consuming.

I miss soundlyvegan! And did rabidchild ever show up here?

I made tofu once, and never will again! I loved the soymilk- not much work. Let ground up simmered beans cool, then keep squishing ladles of beans into another pot. The okara was sooooo worth it! :clap:
Tofu was the problem. I got so little from so much milk, and I didn't think it better than organic store bought.

I tried Wildwoods sprouted smoked tofu - LOVED it! It :drool: I actually think it's a better sub for cheese than most vegan ones!
I only bought it 'cause it was price reduced- probably won't pay full price. :sigh:

Reactions: AlmandineSky
I miss soundlyvegan! And did rabidchild ever show up here?

I made tofu once, and never will again! I loved the soymilk- not much work. Let ground up simmered beans cool, then keep squishing ladles of beans into another pot. The okara was sooooo worth it! :clap:
Tofu was the problem. I got so little from so much milk, and I didn't think it better than organic store bought.

I tried Wildwoods sprouted smoked tofu - LOVED it! It :drool: I actually think it's a better sub for cheese than most vegan ones!
I only bought it 'cause it was price reduced- probably won't pay full price. :sigh:

I should get in touch with her and invite her over. I wish the Wildwoods wasn't so pricey. I'd love to try it.

I used to bake pressed tofu, sliced really thin, with a marinade of liquid smoke, maple (or agave) syrup, sage and thyme-and enough water to half cover it in a baking dish, and bake, flipping once, until dry. Haven't made that for some time.My son loved it that way for sandwiches.