January Health Challenge (2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see it is now the featured thread.. but has a picture of a woman who wants a man's six pack?

A woman can get some ab definition, but generally women's bodies do not muscle up like that, only men get the real chunky muscles.

I didn't see it as a man's six-pack - there are plenty of female athletes who have them. I think you just don't see it as much as you do on men because it's far less socially acceptable for women to be muscular. I've actually had people say to me that I should be careful with my workouts in case my shoulders and arms get "too big" o_O

I didn't see it as a man's six-pack - there are plenty of female athletes who have them. I think you just don't see it as much as you do on men because it's far less socially acceptable for women to be muscular. I've actually had people say to me that I should be careful with my workouts in case my shoulders and arms get "too big" o_O

Agreed... It's the body of an athlete... Not everyone is an athlete or wants to be an athlete and that's okay. I definitely admire those who have made those sort of chiseled returns for their labours, and in that I'd definitely not exclude women. I think it's pretty awesome, good for them and c'mon we're not talking Miss Universe type of muscle (not that there's anything WRONG with that either)

A woman can get some ab definition, but generally women's bodies do not muscle up like that, only men get the real chunky muscles.

There are real anatomical differences between men and women which I believe are not talked about enough

and it leads women to believe they should have the body of Gisele Bundchen etc when many women are not 6 foot tall or naturally lean.

To be honest, I have only seen a six pack on a couple of women that I have known who have anorexia. That has just been my experience of women who get to that very low body weight. I'm sure there must be some women who are really fit and have that type of definition though.

Today was nice and warm, so my friend and I got to walk outside! I didn't even need a hat. :) We did our usual 5k route. :)

Reactions: Val and KLS52
I have been putting off posting in this thread, but really need to work on building some more healthy habits. I am turning 40 later this month, so it would be nice to feel like I was progressing to a healthier lifestyle by then. In December, I recommitted myself to going back to a largely plant based diet. Now, I need to focus more on making it a healthy and balanced plant based diet. Dinners are usually good, but breakfast, lunch and snacks need major improvement. I also REALLY need to start exercising regularly. Having young kids, it has been really hard for me to make time (and have the energy) for myself. The weather lately hasn't been helping with this.

My goals for the rest of the month are:
1) Pre-plan and pack my breakfast and lunch the night before, so I have no excuses for grabbing quick junky stuff.
2) Do at least 15 minutes of dedicated exercise everyday.

To be honest, I have only seen a six pack on a couple of women that I have known who have anorexia. That has just been my experience of women who get to that very low body weight. I'm sure there must be some women who are really fit and have that type of definition though.

It does have to do with body fat percentage whether you're a man or a woman but doesn't equate to low weight or underweight, etc. But naturally you can't see your abs if you're walking around with the equivelant of a pillow over your mid section. Point is, muscle weighs more than fat... Not the easiest thing to really figure out but there's some visual examples as guidelines... I'm somewhere close to 20% I think, but not quite... Must trade in more body fat for muscle damn it!

Body-Fat-Examples-Male-and-Female.png

As Moll says, that kind of muscle in men is healthy, but in women it generally means low body fat.

For estrogen to be produced women need fat. And estrogen is needed for female hormone cycles to be kept in check.

That is why (though I am not anti healthy food and exercise) I am very anti commercial-diet-industry , I think it is inherently misogynistic as it seems to hate the woman's natural body composition, which has a certain fat percentage.

Also some fat is helpful for pregnancy and breastfeeding... and even at menopause a bit of fat is a good thing to have too...

Last edited:
I just accomplished 13 minutes of "hooping"! It gets easier with practice!

I agree that women need a higher percentage of "fat" than men. If you look at the pictures Jeremy posted, the women with 25-35% body fat look perfectly fine while the men with the same percentages look overweight.

Reactions: PTree15
Another warm morning, so we walked outside again. We got in 10 extra minutes, too, because we got to work earlier than usual. :) Back to reality tomorrow. Even though the weather folks say the high is 45 degrees, it's going to get cold really quickly.

Reactions: Val
I survived my second pilates session at the YMCA today lol. it was slightly easier than the last time, but there are still a few exercises I can not finish. The two minute side planks while holding one leg in the air are a bit much for me for example. I have very strong legs, but my abs and triceps need a lot of work. I still feel a bit discouraged at how much I struggle in this class, almost wondering if it is a little too advanced, but I keep trying.

Yesterday I had an awesome dance session. I still can only get through just over half of one of the songs I am trying to choreograph a piece to. it is very fast and intense. but I really danced fully yesterday with it. This time I took off the ballet slippers and danced barefoot to it and I think that gave me a lot more freedom and confidence. I wish I could spend all day every day in that studio dancing and creating movement. The more I do this the more I love it. The floor is softer and more conducive to dancing than the one at my old fitness center. and I still can not get over the sheer space. I absolutely love it! I keep finding more and more awesome music to download to my Mp3 for this too. I added some African drums, Native American flute, opera, you name it for variety and to challenge myself with different styles and ways of moving. This morning I pretended to be an insect. Yes, this is my creative way of doing cardio. :) tomorrow though I should slow down and work on strength training so I get a good balance. My low back/sacrum is giving me trouble/pain which is making me nervous. Maybe I will eventually have to take up the swimming pool there.

I survived my second pilates session at the YMCA today lol. it was slightly easier than the last time, but there are still a few exercises I can not finish. The two minute side planks while holding one leg in the air are a bit much for me for example. I have very strong legs, but my abs and triceps need a lot of work. I still feel a bit discouraged at how much I struggle in this class, almost wondering if it is a little too advanced, but I keep trying. ...
Wow, I can barely do a plank with both legs on the floor, lol! A plank with a leg up? That's impressive!

Wow, I can barely do a plank with both legs on the floor, lol! A plank with a leg up? That's impressive!
I know right? I can not do the leg lift thing and balance in a side plank on one leg more than a few seconds, so while everyone else is doing that, I just do the normal side plank with both legs down, but even that I can not hold for more than 1.5 minutes. About thirty seconds left I have to sit down a few seconds. It's actually embarrassing and humbling. The people in that class are so fit and strong. But I try to tell myself they have probably been doing this sort of stuff for a long time. They might be athletes in other areas. I've never done more than a few token Pilates exercises in my life. I run through this dialog in my head with every class.

I know right? I can not do the leg lift thing and balance in a side plank on one leg more than a few seconds, so while everyone else is doing that, I just do the normal side plank with both legs down, but even that I can not hold for more than 1.5 minutes. About thirty seconds left I have to sit down a few seconds. It's actually embarrassing and humbling. The people in that class are so fit and strong. But I try to tell myself they have probably been doing this sort of stuff for a long time. They might be athletes in other areas. I've never done more than a few token Pilates exercises in my life. I run through this dialog in my head with every class.
Everyone's at different levels. You are doing great just by going!

I brought the exercise trampoline down from the attic because walking just isn't working out right now. I have to say I am pleasantly surprised at how well it's helping me get my steps in. I'm doing 3000-4000 extra steps a day and I'm breaking it up into 10-15 minute sessions so I don't get bored. Plus I get to do arm exercises that I wouldn't normally do when I'm walking out in public.

5 lbs lost so far.:)

I read this yesterday about ACV.The Ingredients A Holistic Nutritionist Always Has In Her Pantry - mindbodygreen I might try and have it during the day as I keep forgetting to take it at night.:D

I am getting so much more sleep too, I thought it would be hard to get into a different sleeping pattern after getting up super early for so many years, but I am getting about 8-10 hours sleep a night! I usually wake up early to let my dog out in the garden, but then go back to bed instead of just resigning myself to getting up. It reminds me of my student days when I slept in a lot.:p

Last edited:
5 lbs lost so far.:)
That's great, Moll! I know it might seem like it's taking forever, but when I dropped the 30 lbs I averaged about 5 lbs/month and it didn't feel fast enough for me. But supposedly, it's easier to keep it off if you do it slowly. I'm glad you're seeing results, now.

Reactions: PTree15
Losing weight slowly I think gives you the best chance of keeping it off long term. We started the tracking calories back in May and I still have 3 pounds to go to reach my goal. I am determined not to gain it back this time!

Yesterday I walked over 10,000 steps at work. Reaching that is a rare thing for me! Today I am off so I will probably do some "hooping."

I think it took me a while to adjust to eating less and I think PTree was right about my salt intake being too high. The weight is definitely not coming off as quickly as it did when I was younger.:p

Status
Not open for further replies.