January Health Challenge (2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be ideal. However, I don't think that she will live long enough to be able to justify buying one.
I wish you lived closer...I would "GIVE" you mine. :)

No, because people don't have those kind of pushchairs anymore.
Why not :confused:? Have you checked ads where people sell items, or like garage sales?
Sorry, it's just used strollers are pretty common by me

Back to being 129.8lbs, I'm going to increase my calorie intake a little slower and keep up my running, back to an hour again but a little slower on the pace until I get used to the zero drop running shoes (They're designed sort of like Earth shoes). I'll eventually get back up to my 7:30 minute mile pace.... Even if they temporarily set me back a little on run speed, I love these shoes. After a run it no longer feels like someone had played a game of Whack-A-Mole on my toes with a ball pin hammer!

Reactions: PTree15
My fitbit came around lunchtime. I'm ambivalent. I hate monitoring things I think should just be second nature - like exercise and calories. But I think it will be good for me as obviously my metabolism has changed. I did pretty well through menopause, but put on about 10 pounds last year. And they're not particularly attractive pounds - I didn't get curvy, I got solid.

I'm a bit disappointed in how many calories this thing thinks I need! :hmm:

We have been using an app called Lose it! I had been following my plan of not more than around 950 calories a day with good results. Lately I have been eating way over my budget though!

My fitbit came around lunchtime. I'm ambivalent. I hate monitoring things I think should just be second nature - like exercise and calories. But I think it will be good for me as obviously my metabolism has changed. I did pretty well through menopause, but put on about 10 pounds last year. And they're not particularly attractive pounds - I didn't get curvy, I got solid.

I'm a bit disappointed in how many calories this thing thinks I need! :hmm:
I have to be honest, the Fitbit totally challenged me and made me want to move! There were many days where I was so close to 10000 steps and it gave me the incentive to go for a short walk so I could feel it "vibrate" on my wrist, lol.

Reactions: PTree15
You would be surprised how much you can actually eat! I thought it would be hard but it really isn't. You realize how much you have been OVER eating in the past!

I very very rarely get 10,000 steps. I am lucky to do half that! I wear my Fitbit ALL the time too! Today will be very bad! LOL

I very very rarely get 10,000 steps. I am lucky to do half that! I wear my Fitbit ALL the time too! Today will be very bad! LOL
It's mostly Monday -Friday when I'm at work with a planned 40-50 minute walk throughout the day. I'm up and down and running around the office constantly. Weekends are bad because even if I do two walks, the rest of the day is spent on the couch, lol.

I want to really work on my sleep. I go in spurts of good and bad sleep, and right now I am in a bad spurt. I must force myself to get in bed by 11 p.m.and asleep by 11:3o.

I also want to maintain my exercise program of 5 to 6 days of cardio and 3 days of weights and toning. I got a Fitbit in the summer and I really like the extra motivation it gives me. My friend at work always invites me to join her group challenges, and even though I rarely win, I always get more steps in because it brings out my competitive streak.

Also, I need to reduce the white carbs.

Reactions: Poppy
I weighed myself today and I haven't lost a single pound so far, despite eating less the last few days.:rolleyes: Oh well.:p

I am trying to get more sleep this year too. I have been getting up very early a lot over the past few years as I was stressed, so this year I want to try and lie in later. I have no idea why I am still getting up at 4am-6am if I don't actually have to leave the house to go to work. I slept in until 8am today.:)

I've set a few nutritional goals that are a bit of a challenge to figure out how to pull off. I'd like to limit carbohydrates to around 150 grams a day, and maintain protein of at least 90 grams a day and would be nice to hit that mark from whole foods rather than mostly getting it from protein powder... I'm also trying to figure out ways to reduce my sodium intake which is the hardest thing, it makes carb and protein control look easy. I know that on sodium you should be consuming around 1,500mg at the most. Most days I'm getting more than double that, some days I surpass 5,000mg! Very open to ideas on reducing sodium in my diet.... I know that one thing that would help would be to eat less processed foods

Yes, processed foods contain all kinds of hidden sodium. I have taken to using lots of different spices in my food to add flavor. I love chili power, paprika, turmeric, Italian season, garlic, curry powder. They all add a good punch to home-cooked meals. Eating out is also tricky because so many foods are loaded with added sodium and fat. Sometimes you think you're eating a healthy salad only to find out the dressing has a ton of sodium. Reading the nutritional info on meals from Fridays or Applebees will make your head explode. Not that I ever really eat there, but some of the meals that people think are healthy contain twice the amount of recommended daily sodium intake. I stick to oil and vinegar for salad dressings, or just make make your own at home. You can add all kinds of spices to it depending on what you like.

Yes, processed foods contain all kinds of hidden sodium. I have taken to using lots of different spices in my food to add flavor. I love chili power, paprika, turmeric, Italian season, garlic, curry powder. They all add a good punch to home-cooked meals. Eating out is also tricky because so many foods are loaded with added sodium and fat. Sometimes you think you're eating a healthy salad only to find out the dressing has a ton of sodium. Reading the nutritional info on meals from Fridays or Applebees will make your head explode. Not that I ever really eat there, but some of the meals that people think are healthy contain twice the amount of recommended daily sodium intake. I stick to oil and vinegar for salad dressings, or just make make your own at home. You can add all kinds of spices to it depending on what you like.

You're totally right about salad... I just looked back, and the salad I made yesterday for lunch, between the Catalina lite dressing, croutons, black olives, etc added up to a whooping 970.7mg sodium in one sitting.... One thing I have learned is that going out somewhere like Olive Garden, Pizza Hut, or whatever is really bad mojo the day before a weigh in... The sodium will cause you to weigh three or four pounds more the next morning lol.

You're totally right about salad... I just looked back, and the salad I made yesterday for lunch, between the Catalina lite dressing, croutons, black olives, etc added up to a whooping 970.7mg sodium in one sitting.... One thing I have learned is that going out somewhere like Olive Garden, Pizza Hut, or whatever is really bad mojo the day before a weigh in... The sodium will cause you to weigh three or four pounds more the next morning lol.
So true!!! I love olives and pickles, but they are loaded with sodium, sadly. I have been trying to cut down on them. I could eat a jar of either one in one sitting back in the day. :D Not good, lol.

Oh, and today I did a Leslie Sansone video. It was pouring this morning, so no walk outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.