Glad I Found This Forum

veganblonde

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hello, fellow forum members! I'm thrilled to have found my way to this vibrant community of like-minded individuals who share my passion for veganism. Allow me to introduce myself and shed some light on the driving force behind my journey.

I am Helen , and at the core of my being, I am a dedicated vegan. For me, veganism is not just a dietary choice; it is a profound and compassionate lifestyle that extends to all aspects of my life. It is an unwavering commitment to preserving the well-being of animals, nurturing the planet we call home, and advocating for a more ethical and sustainable world.

My path towards veganism was a transformative one. As I became increasingly aware of the profound impact our choices have on animals, the environment, and our own health, I knew I had to make a change. The decision to embrace veganism was not merely a personal one; it was a conscious step towards aligning my values with my actions, and living in harmony with the values of compassion, justice, and sustainability.

Being part of this forum allows me to connect with individuals who understand the importance of our choices and the power they hold. Here, we can engage in meaningful discussions, share valuable insights, and support one another on this incredible journey. I firmly believe that together, we can make a significant difference in the world, one conversation at a time.

Within the forum, you'll find me actively participating in discussions related to veganism, animal rights, sustainable living, plant-based nutrition, and more. I'm constantly seeking knowledge and expanding my understanding of the intricacies surrounding veganism, so I can better advocate for the cause and inspire positive change.

Apart from my unwavering dedication to veganism, I'm also passionate about cooking and experimenting with delicious plant-based recipes. I believe that nourishing ourselves with wholesome, cruelty-free meals not only benefits our own health but also serves as a gateway to showcasing the abundant flavors and possibilities of plant-based cuisine.

In this forum, I aim to contribute by offering support, sharing experiences, and engaging in respectful dialogue. I'm here to learn, grow, and connect with a diverse community of individuals who believe that compassion extends beyond our own species.

So, let's embark on this incredible journey together! Feel free to reach out, ask questions, and share your own insights. Together, we can amplify our voices and foster positive change in the world, one compassionate decision at a time.

With heartfelt gratitude and excitement,

welcome to the forum, Helen

We love to have new voices and thoughts and recipes and meal suggestions and support for the animals and the environment.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: bEt
Welcome! For years, I've enjoyed trying out vegan foods from various cuisines, and trying grains, legumes, vegetables and fruits I've never had before (though there aren't too many more of those). It's been fun! (But I don't think I'll ever acquire a taste for cilantro, millet, or fava beans, although I'll eat them if I'm served a dish which contains them... I hate to waste food!)

Last edited:
Hello, fellow forum members! I'm thrilled to have found my way to this vibrant community of like-minded individuals who share my passion for veganism. Allow me to introduce myself and shed some light on the driving force behind my journey.

I am Helen , and at the core of my being, I am a dedicated vegan. For me, veganism is not just a dietary choice; it is a profound and compassionate lifestyle that extends to all aspects of my life. It is an unwavering commitment to preserving the well-being of animals, nurturing the planet we call home, and advocating for a more ethical and sustainable world.

My path towards veganism was a transformative one. As I became increasingly aware of the profound impact our choices have on animals, the environment, and our own health, I knew I had to make a change. The decision to embrace veganism was not merely a personal one; it was a conscious step towards aligning my values with my actions, and living in harmony with the values of compassion, justice, and sustainability.

Being part of this forum allows me to connect with individuals who understand the importance of our choices and the power they hold. Here, we can engage in meaningful discussions, share valuable insights, and support one another on this incredible journey. I firmly believe that together, we can make a significant difference in the world, one conversation at a time.

Within the forum, you'll find me actively participating in discussions related to veganism, animal rights, sustainable living, plant-based nutrition, and more. I'm constantly seeking knowledge and expanding my understanding of the intricacies surrounding veganism, so I can better advocate for the cause and inspire positive change.

Apart from my unwavering dedication to veganism, I'm also passionate about cooking and experimenting with delicious plant-based recipes. I believe that nourishing ourselves with wholesome, cruelty-free meals not only benefits our own health but also serves as a gateway to showcasing the abundant flavors and possibilities of plant-based cuisine.

In this forum, I aim to contribute by offering support, sharing experiences, and engaging in respectful dialogue. I'm here to learn, grow, and connect with a diverse community of individuals who believe that compassion extends beyond our own species.

So, let's embark on this incredible journey together! Feel free to reach out, ask questions, and share your own insights. Together, we can amplify our voices and foster positive change in the world, one compassionate decision at a time.

With heartfelt gratitude and excitement,
I love your energy and everything you stand for. Great to e-meet you!

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Hello Everyone,
I'm Julie, a newbie on this forum. I am committed to continue eating healthy and preserving animal wildlife as well.
I absolutely love most vegetables, but have to be careful with eating some due to carbs. I'm a diabetic and thought maybe there are others on this forum that have similar issues as to the vegetables we can eat most of without raising blood sugar. If any of you have advice or tips as to which or all vegetable recipes to make, please send me your ideas.

Welcome, @juliep1 ! I'm not diabetic, but it runs in my father's family- and my HbA1c (?) results 2-3 years ago indicated I was pre-diabetic. I had started cutting back on foods high in simple carbs- sugar; white flour- and had also started making a habit to eat those foods mostly when I was about to be physically active, so that I wouldn't get such a blood-sugar spike. But I crave sweet things as much or more now than I did as a child- so I had to try harder. By my most recent checkup, my HbA1c was a lot lower, although it was still "high-normal".

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
Hello Everyone,
I'm Julie, a newbie on this forum. I am committed to continue eating healthy and preserving animal wildlife as well.
I absolutely love most vegetables, but have to be careful with eating some due to carbs. I'm a diabetic and thought maybe there are others on this forum that have similar issues as to the vegetables we can eat most of without raising blood sugar. If any of you have advice or tips as to which or all vegetable recipes to make, please send me your ideas.
Type 1 diabetes? There has been much research on diets-

I absolutely love most vegetables, but have to be careful with eating some due to carbs.
I'm not expert but I have read a lot about this subject. But let me start off with suggesting you read a good book or visit a Registered Dietician (RD). There is a labeling issue here but in the USA an RD is specifically trained, tested, liscenced , evaluated and supervised. What you don't want is a "nutritionist". In some countries an RD may be called a Nutritionist. here in the USA, anybody can call themselves a nutritionist - there are no qualifications.

If you have health insurance And diabetes - you should be able to consult with an RD for little or no money. Even if you have to pay to see one - it's not like you have to see them a lot. maybe once or twice.

Speaking of books, the one that most vegan/diabetics swear by is Neal Barnards, Reversing Diabetes. Gregar's How Not to Die From Diabetes is also well respected.

If you don't like books you can watch some of the videos those authors have.

As far as vegetables go, there are no problems with any (that I know of) for diabetics. Their sugar content is too low and their fiber content too high. You can eat as many vegetables as you like. The ADA recommends that half you plate be vegetables.

All Carbs are not bad. in fact, most carbs are Good. You should even eat fruit. Just be careful. Like instead of a whole apple or banana - just have a half - between meals.

As a diabetic the foods you should avoid are sugary drinks (including fruit juice), refined grains (white bread, white pasta, white rice), and dried fruit. But even those things can be consumed in moderation. Just follow the 15/15 rule.

• Agree
Reactions: PTree15 and silva
I'm not expert but I have read a lot about this subject. But let me start off with suggesting you read a good book or visit a Registered Dietician (RD). There is a labeling issue here but in the USA an RD is specifically trained, tested, liscenced , evaluated and supervised. What you don't want is a "nutritionist". In some countries an RD may be called a Nutritionist. here in the USA, anybody can call themselves a nutritionist - there are no qualifications.

If you have health insurance And diabetes - you should be able to consult with an RD for little or no money. Even if you have to pay to see one - it's not like you have to see them a lot. maybe once or twice.

Speaking of books, the one that most vegan/diabetics swear by is Neal Barnards, Reversing Diabetes. Gregar's How Not to Die From Diabetes is also well respected.

As far as vegetables go, there are no problems with any (that I know of) for diabetics. Their sugar content is too low and their fiber content too high. You can eat as many vegetables as you like. The ADA recommends that half you plate be vegetables.

All Carbs are not bad. in fact, most carbs are Good. You should even eat fruit. Just be careful. Like instead of a whole apple or banana - just have a half - between meals.

As a diabetic the foods you should avoid are sugary drinks (including fruit juice), refined grains (white bread, white pasta, white rice), and dried fruit. But even those things can be consumed in moderation. Just follow the 15/15 rule.

Lets not conflate type 1 with type 2!

And yes, a registered dietitian or physician who supports wfpb eating is beneficial

Lets not conflate type 1 with type 2!
Did she say what kind of Diabetes she has?
Of course I assumed it was type 2.
but really, was anything I mentioned specific to one or two.
Mostly I was just trying to put her mind at ease about plant based carbs.

Lou, Thank you for taking the time to give me so much valuable information. I so appreciate your advice and expertise. I will check out the information you gave me. Hopefully, your thoughts will help others. I am gleaning great info from YOU! Regards, Juliep1

• Love
Reactions: Lou