Glad I Found This Forum

Welcome, @juliep1 ! I'm not diabetic, but it runs in my father's family- and my HbA1c (?) results 2-3 years ago indicated I was pre-diabetic. I had started cutting back on foods high in simple carbs- sugar; white flour- and had also started making a habit to eat those foods mostly when I was about to be physically active, so that I wouldn't get such a blood-sugar spike. But I crave sweet things as much or more now than I did as a child- so I had to try harder. By my most recent checkup, my HbA1c was a lot lower, although it was still "high-normal".
Hello Tom L,
Thank you very much for your reply to help me control what I need to address concerning my diabetes. I have always. been active, but as I get older, my metabolism isn't the same as in early years. Great advice about eating carbs before working out. Your advice is very much appreciated.
Regards,
Juliep1

Did she say what kind of Diabetes she has?
Of course I assumed it was type 2.
but really, was anything I mentioned specific to one or two.
Mostly I was just trying to put her mind at ease about plant based carbs.
Lou, You was correct to assume I am type 2. You sent me url's that gave me affirmation that plant based & vegan is the best way to lower blood levels. I do understand which vegetable has high carbs, but it all depends upon when and how much your body can have. Hight/Wt has to be taken under consideration as well. I like to eat what will help keep my blood count balanced. :).

Reactions: Lou
Lou, You was correct to assume I am type 2. You sent me url's that gave me affirmation that plant based & vegan is the best way to lower blood levels. I do understand which vegetable has high carbs, but it all depends upon when and how much your body can have. Hight/Wt has to be taken under consideration as well. I like to eat what will help keep my blood count balanced. :).
Thanks.
And I should admit that when I wrote to you I was only thinking of green vegetables. I forgot about corn and potatoes, which should be limited in your diabetic meal plan. that said, there probably. aren't any veggies that are completely forbidden. just keep the quantities in check.

Thanks.
And I should admit that when I wrote to you I was only thinking of green vegetables. I forgot about corn and potatoes, which should be limited in your diabetic meal plan. that said, there probably. aren't any veggies that are completely forbidden. just keep the quantities in check.

Thanks.

Again, Thank YOU very much!

• Love
Reactions: Lou
Hello and welcome! I think most vegetables are ok but some have more starch/sugar than others. In general I found this:

Ok: Peppers, broccoli, asparagus, mushrooms, zucchini, spinach, cauliflower, green beans, lettuce...etc.

Possibly not so ok: Corn, potatoes, peas are higher in carbs than the aforementioned.

It's good that you have some links so you can research.

Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
Thank you! I found several links, but those who are doing well with the plant, vegan diet know from experience as to how much one should eat of the good and the bad veggies. Thanks again for your comments.

Hi Silva,
I'm Type 2....but should be able to find similar info. Thanks!!!
Juliep1
Oh good! Type 2 can be controlled with diet and exercise! People throw the word "carbs" around as if they're all equal. You do want to avoid processed, but eating whole foods is entirely different in how they're broken down.

I'd also recommend the book "Whole" by Colin Campbell that gets into the science of why the whole food is more than the sum of it's parts.
And How Not to Diet by Dr Michael Greger, which is even more extensive

Oh good! Type 2 can be controlled with diet and exercise! People throw the word "carbs" around as if they're all equal. You do want to avoid processed, but eating whole foods is entirely different in how they're broken down.

I'd also recommend the book "Whole" by Colin Campbell that gets into the science of why the whole food is more than the sum of it's parts.
And How Not to Diet by Dr Michael Greger, which is even more extensive
Thanks silva! I have read about Dr. Greger, but not Colin Campbell. Will definitely check the books outl. :)

Thank you! I found several links, but those who are doing well with the plant, vegan diet know from experience as to how much one should eat of the good and the bad veggies. Thanks again for your comments.
Two questions, if you feel they are intrusive then please ignore.
Do you monitor glucose levels? Do you take insulin?

In order to get a really good idea of how much veggies you can eat you can do some testing.
The recommended testing protocol is after eating 15 grams of carbohydrates you wait 15 minutes and then test.
The following are examples of foods with 15 g of carbs.
  • Half cup (107 grams) of canned fruit (without the juice or syrup)
  • One cup (109 grams) of melon or berries
  • Two tablespoons (19 grams) of dried fruit (such as raisins)
  • Half cup (121 grams) of cooked oatmeal
  • One-third cup of cooked pasta (44 grams) (can vary with the shape)
  • One-third cup (67 grams) of cooked long grain rice
  • One-fourth cup (51 grams) of cooked short grain rice
  • Half cup (88 grams) cooked beans, peas, or corn
  • One 1 oz (28 grams) slice of bread
  • Three cups (33 grams) popcorn (popped)
  • One cup (240 milliliters) milk or soy milk
  • Three ounces (84 grams) of baked potato
also the ADA recommends that you consume between 45 and 60 grams per meal and 15 - 20 per snack.

Also, I have surprised myself by not recommending CronOmeter already. Is free - but there is paid version with extra bells and whistles. It's a great tool for counting carbs. you can use it in Meal planning. It takes a little while to master but IMHO, it's a great tool for beginning vegans. Before you get into CronOmeter you need to know what your target macros are going to be. An RD can help you with that. Or reading any of the books I suggested.

CronOmeter is a great tool for beginner vegans in general because it tracks not only the macros but also all the other vitamins and minerals and makes easy to read color coded graphs.

If you would like something to do your meal planning for you check out SparkPeople. Its free. SparkPeople is full of adds and other extraneous info but it's Way comprehensive. Something a bit simpler is EatThisMuch. It has a free trial period but then it's subscription based.

Final word. All the books we suggested and the ADA have ready -to- use right- out- of- the- box meal plans.

PS. Have you seen any of these documentaries?
Forks Over Knives, What the Health?, From Food To Freedom

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Thanks silva! I have read about Dr. Greger, but not Colin Campbell. Will definitely check the books outl. :)

welcome to the forum... you have been given great advice and I just would like to reiterate that sugars/carbs are not the cause of Type 2 diabetes, in the opinion of many health professionals, it is the fats in our cells that blocks the insulin from doing its work that cause the sugar to stay circulating in the blood instead of being converted to glucose for us to use as energy - Dr McDougall and Dr Neil Barnard are also quite vocal about this along with Dr Esselstyn, Gregor and Campbell - I do hope that you will be able to reverse it completely as many have - here is a link to Dr McDougall's Success Stories for people with diabetes. Dr Barnard also has a book Reversing Diabetes and there are videos on Youtube that might be helpful.

Here is a link to National Library of Medicine - it seems to be a summary of many studies and so very interesting. One of the recommendations from from part 3 of this article is: The recommended vegan diet comprised approximately 10% of energy from fat, 15% from protein, and 75% from carbohydrates and consisted of vegetables, fruits, grains, and legumes.

I have not had diabetes and been vegan since 2016 and we also cut way back on fats, sugar and salt when we went vegan... Starchivore if you like and although I do eat more processed food that I would prefer I try to stick to whole food plant based as much as I can and have kept off the weight I lost 7 and half years ago. I credit the cutting back on fats/oils for that. We eat vegetables of all kinds including lots of potatoes, sweet potatoes and we eat lots of pasta, rice and breads. I do not put butter on bread or potatoes and small amounts of olive oil when I do use it.

Lovely to have you here with us!

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

The recommended vegan diet comprised approximately 10% of energy from fat, 15% from protein, and 75% from carbohydrates
You can plug those numbers right into CronOmeter. And get started today and refine it later.
I will tell you right not that 10% fat is really really hard to pull off. But to reverse diabetes - it's worth it.
My own goal is 20/20/60.

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC