January Health Challenge (2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do think one has to find the plan that works for you! Some people can just "cut down" and lose while others (like myself and Jeremy) have to be very disciplined and count calories. My mother always told me "just eat half of what you want" and that seemed to work for her as she never went above 120 pounds on a 5'2" frame.

I do think one has to find the plan that works for you! Some people can just "cut down" and lose while others (like myself and Jeremy) have to be very disciplined and count calories. My mother always told me "just eat half of what you want" and that seemed to work for her as she never went above 120 pounds on a 5'2" frame.
Agreed. I'm a fan of whatever works for people. :) I did the cutting-portions-in-half thing to lose weight initially, and it really worked for me, but I also did cut out a lot of junk food and I limited alcohol to a glass of wine or beer a week. I have gotten used to eating a lot less than what I used to, so that's helped me maintain. I did indulge over the holidays, though, and I could feel it, so I've been knocking off the sweets of late. I already feel tons better as sugar is an energy drain for me. :)

Reactions: Chryssie and Poppy
I weighed myself and have lost 3lbs, I don't know what happened yesterday. I thought that couldn't be right. So 3lbs lost since the 1st of January.

I'm going to watch my salt intake too. There are other flavourings I can use instead!:D

I was going to have a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water before bed too as I read that was good for you. I forgot to do it last night.:rolleyes:

Agreed. I'm a fan of whatever works for people. :) I did the cutting-portions-in-half thing to lose weight initially, and it really worked for me, but I also did cut out a lot of junk food and I limited alcohol to a glass of wine or beer a week. I have gotten used to eating a lot less than what I used to, so that's helped me maintain. I did indulge over the holidays, though, and I could feel it, so I've been knocking off the sweets of late. I already feel tons better as sugar is an energy drain for me. :)

I weighed myself and have lost 3lbs, I don't know what happened yesterday. I thought that couldn't be right. So 3lbs lost since the 1st of January.

I'm going to watch my salt intake too. There are other flavourings I can use instead!:D

I was going to have a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water before bed too as I read that was good for you. I forgot to do it last night.:rolleyes:

I use Lo Salt for cooking and seasoning. I buy it in the UK and haul it back as it is quite pricey over here.

That's funny as I was just talking about cider vinegar to someone on Sunday. It is very healthy and it also tastes good. It is recommended to have a spoon in a glass of water on a daily basis. However, I only use organic.

Reactions: PTree15
I used to do it, but fell out of the habit. I think ACV has a nice, tangy taste. I just had some in a dressing for my salad and jacket spud.:)

I've taken it in the morning in warm water, but at night? o_O Wouldn't that give you heartburn? and on an empty stomach?
I have two bottles from Dynamic Health (because I complained about the first one they sent another) that have what looks more like black mold on the bottom- it's not just mother, but flakely layers. I haven't been able to contact them directly. I got it from Swensons vitamins online

I've taken it in the morning in warm water, but at night? o_O Wouldn't that give you heartburn? and on an empty stomach?
I have two bottles from Dynamic Health (because I complained about the first one they sent another) that have what looks more like black mold on the bottom- it's not just mother, but flakely layers. I haven't been able to contact them directly. I got it from Swensons vitamins online
I read that ACV is supposed to help heartburn but it didn't work when I tried it. :no:

I read that ACV is supposed to help heartburn but it didn't work when I tried it. :no:
I don't get heartburn, but I would think taking something that acidic, on an empty stomach, wouldn't be good! I've always heard to take it in the morning.
I don't really know if it helps me or not, but i've acquired the taste! I started for allergy/mucus relief.
I don't know what to do with the two crappy bottles now. Maybe strain it and use for cleaning and hair

I don't get heartburn, but I would think taking something that acidic, on an empty stomach, wouldn't be good! I've always heard to take it in the morning.
I don't really know if it helps me or not, but i've acquired the taste! I started for allergy/mucus relief.
I don't know what to do with the two crappy bottles now. Maybe strain it and use for cleaning and hair
Hmmm, perhaps I will try this. Maybe it will help my sinuses. They are much improved since giving up dairy, but I still have issues with allergies and such.

Mine are horrible. I've had a drippy nose so long it's getting to be normal. It's much worse at work. Many people are having weird issues there and they're going to do air quality tests.
I've tried those sprays like Flonase and they've really irritated my nasal lining. I may give it another try as that's what always recommended.
I haven't done nasal irrigation in some time, that does help

I did get a balance ball and used it for about a half hour. I'm glad I did - it's fun!
I need to get a food regimen in place when I come home from work. I'm always hungry for the wrong things.
I've decided to have a cup of tea and try to limit my eating to veggies or soup

Reactions: KLS52 and PTree15
Mine are horrible. I've had a drippy nose so long it's getting to be normal. It's much worse at work. Many people are having weird issues there and they're going to do air quality tests.
I've tried those sprays like Flonase and they've really irritated my nasal lining. I may give it another try as that's what always recommended.
I haven't done nasal irrigation in some time, that does help
I need to also try the nasal irrigation thing at some point. I've not tried nasal sprays; I hate the idea of them, lol. Today I had some sort of reaction at my nephew's apartment. They smoke, and I'm thinking it might have been that. I got all stuffed up and I could tell my nasal passages were swollen. I was fine an hour or so after I left.

Last night I had an appointment with a trainer named "Joe" at the YMCA to show me how to use the weight machines and free weight area etc, since they are different than the ones at the other gyms I have been to. So this guy is 6'5" and about double my weight, and he's trying me out on every single machine plus some free weights and I don't think he quite understood that not everyone is capable of pumping as much iron as himself lol, and I emphasized I am not interested in lifting a car, just basic fitness. Plus I had already worked out an hour that morning and then 8 hours of work and mind you I am still getting over my cold. By the time I was done I thought I was pretty fatigued and hit all the major muscles and then some. That is...until my 6am Pilates class this morning. We STARTED with some pretty serious "basic" ab work and after the first ten minutes I wondered how on earth I would get through the next 45. Then she said we were moving on to more advanced lol. We literally worked the abdominal muscles for a solid 1/2 hour, then moved on to planks, pushups (even the two women in that class were pumping out 60 men style pushups like it was no big deal), back, glutes etc. By the end of the hour I seriously thought I would die. My first clue this was going to be a killer class was when only four other people showed up for class, and they were all muscular and very fit looking. And one of them left halfway through. My abdominal muscles have been in spasms all day. Even my 22 mile mountain bike adventures, 13 mile paddles, or 1.5 hour dance sessions can't compare. I needed a new routine and a new workout to get out of my rut and comfort zone, and by golly I got it! I just hope I can get out of bed tomorrow. Even my inner thighs ache.

On a positive note lol, the hard work I have been doing so far at the YMCA, including my creative dance sessions, have all been challenging, but they have also reinforced that I really need to up my nutrition so I recover from the soreness, strains etc in a timely manner and can build myself back up. So I have upped my calories a little bit, but am focusing on more whole foods, more protein and calcium and healthy fats with each meal. I think I am burning through way more energy than I was for a while there, because much of what I am doing is differnt or more challenging for me.

Eventually I want to take the zumba classes offered at the YMCA, and the cycling class. For now I think I have enough to keep me busy. :)

Reactions: PTree15
I see it is now the featured thread.. but has a picture of a woman who wants a man's six pack?

I tried the ACV in a glass of water an hour after my dinner last night and didn't get heartburn, but then I don't get heartburn generally anyway.:)

I bought some other things to use instead of salt, white pepper, black pepper, curry powder, cayenne chilli pepper, oregano, lemons and fresh herbs.

I see it is now the featured thread.. but has a picture of a woman who wants a man's six pack?

Yes, I thought that was weird too. I have no interest in getting a six pack.:D

Last edited:
Reactions: PTree15 and Freesia
A woman can get some ab definition, but generally women's bodies do not muscle up like that, only men get the real chunky muscles.

There are real anatomical differences between men and women which I believe are not talked about enough

and it leads women to believe they should have the body of Gisele Bundchen etc when many women are not 6 foot tall or naturally lean.

Status
Not open for further replies.