January Health Challenge (2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I starting doing pressups a while ago and I tend to do it once or twice a day. When I started it I could do about five in a row without difficulty, now I can do about 10. Because I work from home I can just do these while working next to my desk.

Still run once a week and keeping to about the same level as before.

One of my goals is to cut down by about 75% or more this year the number of miles I drive in the car with only me in the car. This is a work in progress. Some of these miles are local so can be replaced by cycling and some are further away but I can still just cycle to where I can get the bus (2-3 miles) and leave the bike locked up around there.

Reactions: PTree15
5 lbs lost so far.:)

I read this yesterday about ACV.The Ingredients A Holistic Nutritionist Always Has In Her Pantry - mindbodygreen I might try and have it during the day as I keep forgetting to take it at night.:D

I am getting so much more sleep too, I thought it would be hard to get into a different sleeping pattern after getting up super early for so many years, but I am getting about 8-10 hours sleep a night! I usually wake up early to let my dog out in the garden, but then go back to bed instead of just resigning myself to getting up. It reminds me of my student days when I slept in a lot.:p
Way to go, Moll!! That's fantastic.

I brought the exercise trampoline down from the attic because walking just isn't working out right now. I have to say I am pleasantly surprised at how well it's helping me get my steps in. I'm doing 3000-4000 extra steps a day and I'm breaking it up into 10-15 minute sessions so I don't get bored. Plus I get to do arm exercises that I wouldn't normally do when I'm walking out in public.
That is awesome, KLS!! Adapting and changing things up is a really good approach. So many people get bored with workout routines. When I feel myself getting bored, I try something else for a while. I do confess that I will never tire of walking/hiking outside, though, hehe. It's my favorite thing to do.

I had a lazy weekend and not a lot of sleep, but last night I got into bed by 11:30 and got 8 hours! Today we did our 5k walk outside. :)

I have wanted one of those "mini" trampolines forever! Back when we had the kids, we had a BIG one and it was fun!

Reactions: PTree15
My Pilates class is starting to get a little easier. My abs are getting stronger. My upper body/arms are still a major work in progress lol. I am finally taking a day off exercise. I went 8 days in a row with an hour to an hour and a half of exercising (and four hours of snowshoeing Saturday) and was starting to strain stuff. I am having chronic low back discomfort and yesterday shooting pains in spine which was a huge warning sign I better rest. So no exercise today. This was supposed to be my dance day at the studio and oh how I wish I could dance but my back is in dire need of rest. This is just as important as exercising. Besides, I have to be at work at 6:30am this morning and have an appointment after work.

My Pilates class is starting to get a little easier. My abs are getting stronger. My upper body/arms are still a major work in progress lol. I am finally taking a day off exercise. I went 8 days in a row with an hour to an hour and a half of exercising (and four hours of snowshoeing Saturday) and was starting to strain stuff. I am having chronic low back discomfort and yesterday shooting pains in spine which was a huge warning sign I better rest. So no exercise today. This was supposed to be my dance day at the studio and oh how I wish I could dance but my back is in dire need of rest. This is just as important as exercising. Besides, I have to be at work at 6:30am this morning and have an appointment after work.
I couldn't agree more. It's hard to listen to the body sometimes, but it's so important to do so.

This past weekend was very busy with packing and moving my daughter. On the positive side, I did go over my step goal every day without doing any official exercise. On the down side, we ate at a lot of Kelly's favorite restaurants, so I had a lot more sodium than normal. I haven't lost ground, but I haven't made any progress either. Oh well. I just took a walk and have 7k steps in the bank already for this morning.

The scales say I lost another 1 lb, so 6 lbs gone now. I'm going to weigh myself every Monday morning from now on, instead of checking daily!:rolleyes:

I was finding it hard to get into a eating routine. I did want to do intermittent fasting where you have all your calories in two meals as that seemed to make a lot of scientific sense, but it didn't work for me. Maybe it's because I'm a woman and the people online who eat that way tend to be men. I did read that it might not work for women of childbearing age, which I suppose I still am. :p

Anyway, now I get up later and drink herbal tea, eat breakfast at 10-11, eat lunch around 3-4 and then dinner around 7-8 at night.

I know people on here don't need to know this much detail,:D but it's helpful for me if I want to check back in a few months.

ETA - so 6 lbs lost in about 20 days, so I should have lost 30 lbs by the end of March.

Last edited:
Way to go, Moll! Finding a system that works for you is half the battle. Keep up the great work!

I've given up trying to lose those fw pounds. There's no point being restrictive in any way at all or it goes terribly wrong.

Been eating whatever the hell I want which is fine but would stilllike to incorporate more exercise (nothing new, always struggling with this haha).

Work offers a pilates class for any staff that want to go every week, so have started going to that with some of the girls from my department. :D it's harder than you think!

Last edited:
No exercise for the past couple of days because I have worked insane hours and I just wanted to sleep. :D I suspect there will be lots of walking in DC this weekend, though, hehe. The Fitbit will be charged and ready!

I did not have a very good week. Lots of rain so I did not get outside to do much walking and did not use the trampoline. I find on the days that I have work I'm not very motivated to get any activity done. Also I'm eating more than I should if I want to maintain my weight. I have these 4 pounds that I keep losing and gaining, losing and gaining. Not so terrible, really, but it's annoying. When I gained the 4 pounds it has me at the highest end of where I should be and it's enough to make me uncomfortable. So, hopefully, I can get back into a better routine of eating properly, but not before I finish the ciabatta bread, cream cheese and jam kick that I'm on, haha.

So on Saturday I logged over 25,000 steps at the Women's March, yahoo! I took yesterday off to catch up on sleep because I had to work very late. Today I plan to take a nice walk, as I have the day off.

Reactions: KLS52
Despite not following my calorie budget at all, I lost about a half a pound. :D I am not really being very vigilant because I am so close to my goal. I am actually at a good healthy weight but wanted to be a bit lower for "wiggle room." I am not feeling very well do to allergies so probably won't do anything today. I did "hoop" for 25 minutes the other day. I can maintain it pretty good now!

Reactions: KLS52 and PTree15
I used my trampoline for about 10 minutes yesterday. I meant to use my arm weights too afterwards, but I had left them out in the garden and I didn't want to go out there as it was too icy as I fell on the ice a few weeks ago. Useless!:D:p

I didn't weigh myself this week, I will just do it at the end of the month. I know I am eating less so I hope I might have shed a few more lbs.:)

I bought some kelp tablets as I used to take them as a source of iodine. I just read the information on The Vegan Society and I am unsure what the advice is, confusing.Iodine | The Vegan Society

Status
Not open for further replies.