January Health Challenge (2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We went to the gym today. We did our arms machines and warmed up on the treadmill. Jeremy is now running on our treadmill at home!

Reactions: PTree15
The fitbit is very interesting. Apparently I climb a LOT of floors. Yesterday I climbed 14 and today already I've climbed 10 and I haven't even been home much. I guess there's some benefit to living in a three story house! :p

I've come down with ANOTHER cold. :(

I hope you feel better soon, Poppy. My office is full of hacking and gagging co-workers. I feel like I should be wearing a mask!

No, today I've already climbed 16 floors - and I swear I've just been sitting at the computer since I last posted that I've climbed 10. I wonder if it thinks my typing is stair-climbing…? :???:

Thank you, @PTree15

ETA: So. I climbed 33 floors today. Just in my house. Could this be correct? Or do I really live in a high rise, not a house?

Last edited:
No, today I've already climbed 16 floors - and I swear I've just been sitting at the computer since I last posted that I've climbed 10. I wonder if it thinks my typing is stair-climbing…? :???:

Thank you, @PTree15

ETA: So. I climbed 33 floors today. Just in my house. Could this be correct? Or do I really live in a high rise, not a house?
Lol, I'm not entirely sure how it calculates floors. It could be any slight rise in elevation, be it on a road, a driveway, whatever. I did a bunch of knee lifts during my workout yesterday, and it said I climbed 11 floors during the workout. I was skeptical. :D

Today was warm enough for the 5k walk outside at work. I so love being outside. :)

Reactions: Poppy
I hula hooped a few minutes today. I really suck at it! :D I could do it for about a minute before it fell off but I kept trying and I think I kept it going a little longer after about 10 minutes or so. Then I had to stop because it was starting to irritate my sides. It is a start though!

Back to the gym tomorrow after a five day hiatus with this cold of mine/sickness. I'm still sick but enough excuses already. I am turning to flab. I am starting off at a new gym as I now have a membership to the YMCA where my coveted dance studio is. There is a Pilates class in there tomorrow morning but I won't start that til next week as I feel too sick to be around so many others and doing something I am not used to. Will probably hit one of the cardio machines for an hour.

Argh! I have another cold. :sniff: The only exercise I got today was a trip to Ikea.

My January health goals are about patience with myself. I'm working out, but the results aren't happening, likely due to some currently-mysterious health issues which the doctor is trying to determine. I've had tests, and while I wait for results/solutions, I just have to work out to the best of my ability on the day, and not get too hung up on feeling like I should be doing better.

Also, drink more water.

My workout for today. I even have enough energy left for a nice brisk walk!

Ok, so it's supposed to be a photo of my nicely shoveled driveway but the picture won't post.

IMG_1839.JPG

I had to take a different, not so good, angle but you get the idea.

Last edited:
Bleh on January. I made my resolutions, got a Fitbit, promptly got a whopper of a headcold, and then had a snowstorm. :( I've been eating much more sanely since the New Year, but I haven't been able to exercise the way I had planned. The good news about all these setbacks is I'm apparently pretty active naturally. Nearly everyday I've done over 9000 steps just doing what I do, and yesterday I did over 12000 because we shoveled outside. I haven't weighed myself because my scale is in my closet - which is under the eaves of the roof - which isn't heated. So there's no way I'm going to get naked in the closet anytime soon! :rolleyes:

How is it possible that I have gone from eating anything I like to eating a lot less and not lost any weight this week?:fp:

:D Oh well, on the bright side, I have been getting a lot more sleep by not getting up so early, drinking much more water and herbal tea and I did use my trampoline twice in the week.

I just had a lovely green smoothie for breakfast.:angel:

Well all the eating out and totally being a pig over the weekend has resulted in a weight gain. I will be back on track this week.

Reactions: KLS52
Moll, sometimes it takes a bit for the body to adjust before the weight starts coming off. Also, I have noticed that I can't just "diet" away my weight anymore. I have to do the exercise part, too. It's a good thing I like exercise, lol. You might also be retaining fluids. It might help to keep track of your daily sodium intake if you have problems with fluid retention (not saying you do, but it might be a contributing factor if you haven't seen any losses yet). Everyone's body is different, but I find that when I cut down more on breads and pasta, I tend to lose weight more quickly.

Today was too cold for walking, so I did a nice hilly workout on the treadmill. :D

I just managed to do 8 minutes of hula hooping! I am getting better at it as today I was able to do 3 minutes straight without it falling down. It is really more of a workout than one would think! Last time I had sore abs for 2 days. I think this may actually work to tone up that "muffin top."

I just managed to do 8 minutes of hula hooping! I am getting better at it as today I was able to do 3 minutes straight without it falling down. It is really more of a workout than one would think! Last time I had sore abs for 2 days. I think this may actually work to tone up that "muffin top."
That sounds like so much fun! I loved having a hula hoop when I was a kid! I bet it's a great workout for the midsection. :D Way to go, Chryssie!

It's honestly a balance and for me it's taken being precise and methodical about it... I can't go "okay I'm just going to eat less than I normally eat", I actually have to count the calories and stick to a budget whether I'm trying to lose weight or maintain.

My new weight goal is 120lbs (BMI says my lowest healthy weight would be 110)

As I've planned my day ahead so far:

1,092 calorie budget
1,362 calories eaten
892 calories burned (weights, ab workout, hula hoop, running on the treadmill)
470 net calories
622 calories under budget

That's not final of course, being 622 calories under my budget, I can budget in a beer, and/or a snack, etc.

Moll, sometimes it takes a bit for the body to adjust before the weight starts coming off. Also, I have noticed that I can't just "diet" away my weight anymore. I have to do the exercise part, too. It's a good thing I like exercise, lol. You might also be retaining fluids. It might help to keep track of your daily sodium intake if you have problems with fluid retention (not saying you do, but it might be a contributing factor if you haven't seen any losses yet). Everyone's body is different, but I find that when I cut down more on breads and pasta, I tend to lose weight more quickly.

Yes, possibly very true.:up:I do have a love affair with salt.

My weight has gone up and down so much over the years, I lost a lot of weight at one point (Weightwatchers points, a decade ago now as it was just before I went vegan) but I just can't seem to get the enthusiasm to diet like that again. I actually wished I cared more about my appearance! Lol, why can't I be more vain or insecure?! :DIt's so unfair.

I was trying intermittent fasting last week, The Beginner's Guide to Intermittent Fasting which is just having two meals a day, but that clearly didn't work. It's annoying as I didn't feel that hungry between the two meals and was sleeping better at night doing that.:rolleyes:

I am going to go back to trying to count WW points and eating more raw food this week and see if that can work for me again.

Status
Not open for further replies.