Is non-dairy coffee creamer really non-dairy?

Candela

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
I was looking at the label on the coffee creamer we use at home here in order to see if it was okay for my mother to have. She has to follow a low-fat diet because she has gastrointestinal problems and had her gallbladder removed a while ago. Anyway, I happened to look at the ingredients and to my surprise, found the ingredient "caseinate." As most know, caseine is found in animal protein. On the label, it'll tell you that caseinate is a milk derivative, and some coffee creamer labels will even say "Contains: Milk." And I was just blown away. I looked up caseinate to see if I could find anything about it. From what I remember, coffee creamers can be labeled non dairy even when consisting of caseinate, just because the caseinate doesn't contain lactose. Would you guys still consider non-dairy coffee creamer containing caseinate to be vegan? If not, what other alternatives are there for coffee creamer? Note: I'm not a fan of having milk or milk alternatives in coffee.

I use coconut milk creamer. I forgot the name brand but it's really good. You can also use silk soy creamer. I didn't caremich for the so delicious coconut milk creamer but you might like it.