Health problems

OOO

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
so I've been vegan for about 18 months, did my medical checks ones every three months and it always have been perfectly fine (and even better). yesterday I've been through some blood tests since my period is off track and my hair falls. Today my doctor called my parents to inform them I must come for a meeting with him as soon as possible (He literally suggested me to come in less than a hour).
I'm still a teen, and m parents decided they want me to start eating meat again, saying if I won't do it, they'll find a way to make me do it. I'll go to the doctor's office this week, but until then - what can I tell my parents so they'll let me stay vegan?

rogerjolly

Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Hi Triple-O

First of all read posting number 7 by Alleycat in “General: How Vegan are you?” and my response to it.

Your parents cannot make you eat meat. Alleycat’s experience was many years ago and times have now changed very much for the better.

You must, though, understand your parents’ concern. I am sure they love you and have what they feel as your best interests at heart. Tell them quite bluntly that you are not going to eat meat. Ask them to accept that as a given and ask for their help in researching to make sure you have all the nutrition you need. Tell them that there are thousands of vegans out there and that some of them went vegan primarily because it is healthier than eating meat.

Hold your resolve, keep your cool, don’t shout, make a point of not slamming doors and do try not to dissolve into tears!

Most important of all, as a first step, you must have this same conversation with your doctor. Place him/her in the same position as your parents. “I am not going to do it. That is the starting point. Now, will you help me with any nutritional problems I have? I will not eat meat.” Ask to be put in touch with a vegan-friendly nutritionist.

Do tons of research on healthy diets. Health is your only way forward because there is no way that your parents are likely to accept ethical arguments for veganism in the shorter term. Their only concern is your wellbeing and currently they erroneously see meat eating as an essential.

Do let us know how you get on and remember that you are far from being the first on this rocky path. Good luck. :)

Oh, and in the medium term try to do far more than your fair share of the home cooking. Improve your skills to the point where your parents can congratulate you on a lovely meal prepared mainly by you!

Roger.

Last edited:
  • 👍
Reactions: Damo and OOO
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Health problems since becoming vegan General 13
D Ex-vegan with ibs/health problems. to meat-eater. vegan again. results: low fodmap is the answer. Introduce Yourself 4
Blues People Are Now Taking Placebo Pills to Deal With Their Health Problems Health & Body 0
K Trying veganism for leaky gut, food intolerances, mental health and inflammatory problems Health & Body 4
P Health problems, need help. Health & Body 3
robert99 English Bulldog's health problems Animals In The News 5
shyvas June Health Challenge Health & Body 75
shyvas May Health Challenge Health & Body 151
shyvas April Health Challenge Health & Body 258
S Health issues and being new to vegan diet Transitioning 4
shyvas March Health Challenge Health & Body 51
shyvas Februrary Health Challenge Health & Body 20
shyvas February Health Challenge Health & Body 26
Lou The Biggest Gut Health Mistake We Need To Fix In 2020 Health & Body 1
shyvas January Health Challenge Health & Body 73
K Cup Noodles Health? Food & Drink 3
R measurable health benefits of 100% plant based diet vs 90-95%? Health & Body 5
Qwaychou A few health obstacles I need help with Health & Body 13
shyvas November Health Challenge Health & Body 46
shyvas Health Issues Why We Need to Stop Googling Health Symptoms Health & Body 22
shyvas October Health Challenge Health & Body 17
P Balancing health naturally Health & Body 5
mitchmcc New "What The Health vegan" seeking advice Transitioning 9
shyvas September Health Challenge (2019) Health & Body 33
shyvas August health Challenge (2019) Health & Body 59
Peaceful I did it for my health General 5
Lou Men's Health Magazine Redeemed. HM says tofu is good for you. General 8
Katrina July Health Challenge (2019) Health & Body 76
M Persistent Health Issues after Diet Change Health & Body 3
Vegan Dogs UK Petition to put slaughtered animals on animal food products sold for AR human health and environmental changes needed help General 0
shyvas June Health Challenge (2019) Health & Body 82
shyvas May Health Challenge (2019) Health & Body 100
shyvas April Health Challenge (2019) Health & Body 74
shyvas March Health Challenge (2019) Health & Body 102
shyvas February Health Challenge (2019) Health & Body 84
Indian Summer The Planetary Health Diet Environment 1
shyvas January Health Challenge (2019) Health & Body 45
R Activism and mental health Support 4
shyvas December Health Challenge (2018) Health & Body 26
shyvas Nutrition & Diet 13 Health Benefits-Peanut Butter Health & Body 41
Huawei Health, environment & animals - why are you vegan? General 34
shyvas November Health Challenge (2018) Health & Body 35
Katrina October Health Challenge (2018) Health & Body 34
Forest Nymph For those in your life with health concerns about vegan diets Health & Body 3
shyvas UK Campaign Public Health England -''Drink Free''Days Health & Body 1
shyvas September Health Challenge (2018) Health & Body 31
Forest Nymph Using cbd oil for health purposes Lounge 18
A Periods, stress, health, unsupportive family Support 8
Vesta Seeing a nutritionist/dietitian/health coach during the transition Transitioning 6
shyvas August Health Challenge (2018) Health & Body 34