Coronavirus Positivity and Kindness

i dont mind the handshaking and the hugs.. maybe because i am from a country which is rugby mad so growing up here you are routinely tackled / knocked over. id hate to live in a world where people were afraid to touch each other.

• Agree
Reactions: KLS52
i dont mind the handshaking and the hugs.. maybe because i am from a country which is rugby mad so growing up here you are routinely tackled / knocked over. id hate to live in a world where people were afraid to touch each other.
Same.. I would hate the world where we would be afraid to touch each other. I believe handshakes are a nice gesture. Shows proper etiquettes to greet somebody. (Not judging anyone) I just personally like warm greetings where people are not afraid to touch each other.

• Agree
  • Friendly
Reactions: KLS52 and Freesia
Same.. I would hate the world where we would be afraid to touch each other. I believe handshakes are a nice gesture. Shows proper etiquettes to greet somebody. (Not judging anyone) I just personally like warm greetings where people are not afraid to touch each other.

Yes, i mean i cant deny that i enjoyed some aspects of the social distancing... and i am still trying to practise it in public places.

But it seems difficult for most people to keep up... i am surprised at how quickly people have reverted back to jostling in crowds now that many are out and things are open... i think people seem to gather that way...

i guess some people hate it though and many of those like to live rurally where it is quiet and with lots of space..

There is something positive about this situation... no handshaking or hugs! Perhaps, even after this horrible situation has passed, it'll stay that way?
Why’s that a positive? Do you not like hugs 🤗? Hugs 🤗 are lovely 😊.

It feels very nice that it's socially acceptable now-a-days to obtain personal space.
I'm not sure how people in general respect that, but at least in my work place it hasn't been a problem.
They don't think that I'm rude, weird or antisocial. I can have my comfy 1 or so meters and no one questions it.
I so agree! It isn't like I'm a germaphobe, but handshaking has never seemed like a good idea at all. Besides germs, you get some with the wimpy shake, the sweaty shake, the power grab break your hand shake- what's wrong with a nod or a bow? I also dislike hugs. If I'm not intimate with you I don't want to hug, unless it's a really sad kinda thing, but even then....Children should NEVER be made to hug!
I just lost my job--like really suddenly--and I know everyone wanted to hug me, I was really glad they knew not to

• Friendly
I so agree! It isn't like I'm a germaphobe, but handshaking has never seemed like a good idea at all. Besides germs, you get some with the wimpy shake, the sweaty shake, the power grab break your hand shake- what's wrong with a nod or a bow? I also dislike hugs. If I'm not intimate with you I don't want to hug, unless it's a really sad kinda thing, but even then....Children should NEVER be made to hug!
I just lost my job--like really suddenly--and I know everyone wanted to hug me, I was really glad they knew not to

Its definitely gross and tbh i am not a fan of these kinds of things myself. But then there is another extreme where people are scared of each other, that doesnt really seem an ideal either...

• Friendly
I think the prolonged not touching is a bad thing.

I started out in a family of huggers/kissers. But as a child I was extremely uncomfortable with it. I didn’t change until after I had kids. Then all of a sudden it all made sense to me. I started hugging more, when it was warranted and welcomed. And I really miss it now.

I love the people on the street who film those silly pieces where they give out free hugs to anyone who wants one.

I totally get people who don’t like it and I respect it. Maybe because I’ve gone through both extremes. But I’m definitely happier with the physical contact.

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and Freesia
Also the kissing grandma thing, i hear people saying this is bad but i think kids should be taught to give their grandma a kiss and hug on greeting, it is basic respect, and we all had to do it. Very offensive and hurtful to a 100 year old great grandma to explain to her that little jayden doesnt feel like giving her a hug as he is not in a good mood or something, looks like spoilt brats are being created by these ideas...

• Disagree
Reactions: silva and KLS52
Also the kissing grandma thing, i hear people saying this is bad but i think kids should be taught to give their grandma a kiss and hug on greeting, it is basic respect, and we all had to do it. Very offensive and hurtful to a 100 year old great grandma to explain to her that little jayden doesnt feel like giving her a hug as he is not in a good mood or something, looks like spoilt brats are being created by these ideas...
I don’t want to hijack the thread and go off topic but I’m kind of torn on this. I was always ok-ish with the grandma/grandpa thing. I did not like the “uncles”. But I get the whole respect thing too which is why I’m torn.
I think grandparents today are more understanding because we have more knowledge about how things work. I would never force physical contact on my grandkids. Luckily I don’t have to. They give hugs willingly. 😍
But back in the day it’s the way things were. You hugged and kissed everybody. And I mean everybody. I literally had to walk around the table when it was time to leave and say goodbye to all 35 relatives lol. Now when I’m in that position I just stand and wave and say, bye I’m leaving now, good seeing you all, I’m not coming around to each and every one of you, lol. I make it into a joke. Not that I have any relatives left. But it goes for anytime there’s a big crowd which I try to avoid at all cost.

Just an FYI, if and when I get to meet any of you guys I do expect hugs...big ones. So make sure I know in advance if you don’t want one, lol. I’ll feel a little bad but I will understand. 😁

i get you on the uncle thing, i am lucky that i only have good uncles, and it is a concern if there are creepy relatives in a situation...

But i feel that can be dealt with in some way without meaning that great grandma doesnt get a hug, hugs and a kiss on the cheek are very important to people of that generation. Maybe kids can avoid a particular relative if they have behaved innapropriately.

As kids we gave relatives a hug and kiss on the cheek and it was fine, perhaps not peoples favourite part of the visit but it never hurt us... bringing kids up to be fragile is not good for them and will not give them good skills in dealing with people.

On touching and being touched.

I dislike walking into car dealerships. Everything about the experience is a lie. Some guy with a 100 megawatt smile tells me that this is the perfect time to buy a car. He gives me a perfectly practiced handshake.

The handshake makes me want to puke. He is assessing and judging me with his handshake in the same way that a skilled poker player looks for "tells."

When I was younger, I recall how ladies would grope and feel. And, I was a the king of the nerds.

I volunteered at a nursing home for five years after my grandmother died. Little old ladies like to give out lots of slobery kisses. It felt different than being groped.

I suppose the same holds true for our animal brothers and sisters. The touching tanks at SeaWorld seem exploitive. Cuddling with a dog or cat is different.

I don’t want to hijack the thread and go off topic but I’m kind of torn on this. I was always ok-ish with the grandma/grandpa thing. I did not like the “uncles”. But I get the whole respect thing too which is why I’m torn.
I think grandparents today are more understanding because we have more knowledge about how things work. I would never force physical contact on my grandkids. Luckily I don’t have to. They give hugs willingly. 😍
But back in the day it’s the way things were. You hugged and kissed everybody. And I mean everybody. I literally had to walk around the table when it was time to leave and say goodbye to all 35 relatives lol. Now when I’m in that position I just stand and wave and say, bye I’m leaving now, good seeing you all, I’m not coming around to each and every one of you, lol. I make it into a joke. Not that I have any relatives left. But it goes for anytime there’s a big crowd which I try to avoid at all cost.

Just an FYI, if and when I get to meet any of you guys I do expect hugs...big ones. So make sure I know in advance if you don’t want one, lol. I’ll feel a little bad but I will understand. 😁
I want one! I'm a hugger. :D But I understand if people don't want them. I'm much more conscious of it now, as I came from a family of huggers, so I thought all families were like that. :D

• Love