Captain's Log

It's worked no better or worse than ever for me. I've often had issues all along!

It's worked no better or worse than ever for me. I've often had issues all along!
I suspect a common issue is that there's a tickbox that's 'on' by default if you search from within one of the threads or forums: 'search this forum only'. In general I think most of the time you want that to be off.

Another problem is that the search feature isn't as clever or forgiving with misspellings or alternative spellings as is Google search, which is what most people are used to.

Last edited:
Another problem is that the search feature isn't as clever or forgiving with misspellings or alternative spellings as is Google search, which is what most people are used to.
I have to admit, i do it quite often, and the search feature doesn't like my stupidity.:p

OK, for now I've come up with an ugly and evil "fix" for this: If this works as intended, the search software will be automatically restarted if it falls over again. So now it will be down for at most a couple of minutes at a time.
I'm pleased that this seems to be working :)

Reactions: Val
The server crashed earlier, around 07:30 UK time, though it may have been partly working for some time after that. I restarted it at around 08:10 UK time. I think the issue is the current hosting plan just doesn't have enough memory, so I'll look into upgrading us at some point soon.

I think the issue is the current hosting plan just doesn't have enough memory, so I'll look into upgrading us at some point soon.
OK, it's done! Now we have double the amount of memory and more disk space as well. Hopefully, that's the end of the troubles we've seen.

OK, I'm about to start upgrading the forum to the new version. The version we're currently on has reached its end-of-life, so upgrading is crucial. This is the big upgrade I've talked about for a while. There will be a lot of downtime and disruption for a while, so I hope you'll be patient with me :)

We're back online :)

There are a lot of changes and some new features. I'll write them up in a new thread later. For now, have a look around and see what you can find.

I will also be installing some new add-ons and a new style later.

We're back online :)

There are a lot of changes and some new features. I'll write them up in a new thread later. For now, have a look around and see what you can find.
I will also be installing some new add-ons and a new style later.
Ok... the "interface" is so unusual.👽 I guess, i can handle it, but it will take MUCH time.🥴 (Haha, sorry,- couldn't help inserting this one,- it's my favourite).
Seriously,- you've done a titanic job. Thank you very much!👍👏 🌹
P.S. The "set" of emojis that we have had previously, and that we are so used to, doesn't load itself at all.

Oh my Gosh I absolutely HATE it but then I hate most change so don’t take it personally. Sounds like it needed to be done and I will adjust I’m sure. Just, oh man. 🤦‍♀️:rolleyes:

I realise it probably looks quite different to the previous version.

Hopefully, with time you'll get used to the changes, and I'll also do my part to tweak things (new style, a few more add-ons etc).

From my point of view, it's already far superior to what we had, but I realise I have a slightly different perspective :)

From my point of view, it's already far superior to what we had
Despite my initial shock,- i agree. It's more advanced (sorry if this is not the word i should say in this situation). I feel that i'm going to like it.🍹🚀 For instance, now i can upload photos via my preinstalled browser (not by pushing the "Attach files" button, but by this "Drag and drop" button,- i checked it out, and it's working on my device). There are some other changes that suit me pretty well. Moreover, i don't know why, the plain blue theme doesn't attract me that much anymore. I switched to the blueberry theme, and i like it, as it goes better with this whole interface, for my liking. (Never mind: perhaps these are my hallucinations).😵🤩
The only inconvenience is that when i want to insert an emoji,- i can't touch the coursor, like it was possible before: otherwise, the whole dialogue window (that loads itself "per aspera ad astra" any time i push the emoji button)... disappears again. Plus, I can hardly scroll my current message, because all these "fallen" emoji block the window where i'm writing the message, and i can't find it under the tons of emojis (it's like finding a needle in a haystack).
But i'm not complaining, because i assume, you can do nothing about it, because now we have the diversity, and it's worth it.🧜‍♀️🦚🦋

Hah, I knew something was up when I had to log in because I always have the "keep me logged in" feature on. :D Thanks for the heads-up.

Oh, and i just realized that the "Edit" button is not working.🤔 That is strange. But this is my FAVOURITE button🤪, because like i said, i'm extremely dumb, and sometimes, especially when i'm asleep,- i have to edit the message many times.🗿 👻

Oh, and i just realized that the "Edit" button is not working.🤔 That is strange. But this is my FAVOURITE button🤪, because like i said, i'm extremely dumb, and sometimes, especially when i'm asleep,- i have to edit the message many times.🗿 👻
Oh, @Indian Summer, i'm sorry...:oops: it works again! Thanks and sorry that i have disturbed you. I hope i'm just a little confused (like the others).