Captain's Log

No, I think we have at least one other member with ChromeOS, and they seem to be doing fine. So I think it's just you :iiam: :???:

Did you try webmail.veggieviews.com ? It's a different software and doesn't redirect to the forum, though it's the same IP address.

Edit: have you tried clearing your browser cache? Description here along with some other ideas, not all of them applicable or useful:
6 Ways to Fix ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED Error on Chrome - Saint
I did try that a few times and it didn't help---but now I'm on!
Hadn't done anything in the interim, just happened! So...yeah :starshower:
Congrats with your work work! :thanks:

I did try that a few times and it didn't help---but now I'm on!
Hadn't done anything in the interim, just happened! So...yeah :starshower:
Congrats with your work work! :thanks:
Oh yay! So frustrating when stuff like that happens!

Everything seems to be working perfectly again now as far as I can tell. If anyone is experiencing any kind of access problem, isn't receiving emails as expected etcetera, please do let me know.

The old server is no more. It served us well for 7 years, but now it has been returned to the cloud. Bits to bits, bytes to bytes. RIP.
:sob:

The old server is no more. It served us well for 7 years, but now it has been returned to the cloud. Bits to bits, bytes to bytes. RIP.
:sob:

Is it wrong that when I read this I immediately thought of this:

Mr. Praline: 'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!

Is it wrong that when I read this I immediately thought of this:
That is a very funny sketch :)

In other news, the VV search had apparently fallen over, so I've just brought it back now. This has happened a couple of times already since we moved to the new server.

Reactions: Amy SF
That is a very funny sketch :)

In other news, the VV search had apparently fallen over, so I've just brought it back now. This has happened a couple of times already since we moved to the new server.

Thanks! I tried using it yesterday and it didn’t work. I was looking for the Obituaries thread using correct search functions, and got nothing. I just tried it again, and it came up! :up:

But I must have missed it because I’m on now. :p

I've disabled the Anonymous Posting add-on. It's not used much anyway, and it's causing more problems than it's worth (accidentally, not by people being mean). Also, I don't think there is a version of this add-on for the new forum software version to which we'll "soon" upgrade. (I keep putting off the upgrade as it requires time & effort, and I have none of that at the moment ...)

I've disabled the Anonymous Posting add-on. It's not used much anyway, and it's causing more problems than it's worth (accidentally, not by people being mean). Also, I don't think there is a version of this add-on for the new forum software version to which we'll "soon" upgrade. (I keep putting off the upgrade as it requires time & effort, and I have none of that at the moment ...)

Yeah, I usually checked off Anonymous by accident, and only rarely did I consider using it intentionally. If it improves the site by removing it, thank you!

Thank you!:hug: That's a huuuuge relief!:yes: (For me, at least:D).

Our email server didn't start up when I restarted the VV server itself on Tuesday, but I didn't realise until just now :fp: Sorry about this, have fixed it now. Next time we restart, the email server will start up automatically.

Reactions: Amy SF
The search software keeps failing. I don't know if it's because of a bug or it's "by design" because we don't have enough memory. We may have to go back to the more expensive hosting plan which does have more memory.

Oh so that’s why I wasn’t successful with my search earlier. I thought it was a temporary glitch.

Oh so that’s why I wasn’t successful with my search earlier. I thought it was a temporary glitch.
Yes, the thing keeps falling over, and I restart it again every time I notice. So sometimes the search will work, other times not.

Yes, the thing keeps falling over, and I restart it again every time I notice. So sometimes the search will work, other times not.
OK, for now I've come up with an ugly and evil "fix" for this: If this works as intended, the search software will be automatically restarted if it falls over again. So now it will be down for at most a couple of minutes at a time.

Reactions: KLS52 and Val