Captain's Log

I thought our hosting bill had somehow gone down to virtually nothing, but then I discovered it was actually a bill for only 7 hours.

I've started working on setting up a new and cheaper server, though it will take some time & effort to customise it before it's ready to run VV. We'll also have a newer and better software stack.

Once that's all been sorted and VV has been migrated to the new server, I'll start looking into upgrading to the new major version of the forum software.

Reactions: KLS52
Holy moly! We're maybe just a week away from reaching the much coveted milestone of 350,000 posts! That might sound like "just a number", but it happens to be the number which is considered "big board" by some in forum admin circles :) Thank you, everyone!

Update: I'm making progress with the new server. Have moved my blog over there just now, seems to work. Just waiting for the IP address to be updated on the DNS.

OK, I need to go ahead with moving VV as well.

This will inevitably lead to some downtime, unfortunately, and I can't predict when it will be, but probably not until tomorrow some time.

It's a complex system, so moving servers will also mean temporary loss of some functionality, such as email notifications, and probably some other things that I've forgotten.

Reactions: Val
Updating DNS records across the Internet can take a long time, possibly up to 24 hours.

In the meantime, unfortunately many of you will lose access VV.

I hope to complete this process by tonight.

OK, I think I've managed to move over the forum.

Note that 'veggieviews.com' doesn't work at the moment, so please only use 'forum.veggieviews.com' for now.

I'm aware of a couple of things not working after the move:
  • Search
  • Email notifications
  • File uploads
Please do let me know if you notice anything else broken. I'm working on the above, but will be going away for a couple of days as of tomorrow, so unlikely to make much progress until after that, I'm afraid ...

Just an FYI...My photos won’t load. Says too big, where it wasn’t an issue before.

Just an FYI...My photos won’t load. Says too big, where it wasn’t an issue before.
I hope that this works now. Please do let me know if there is still a problem!

I'm impressed with how much I can do with just my smartphone and a command-line app! I've also learnt a lot of stuff from setting up the new server and fixing these issues, so it's all good :)

I don't think I'll be able to sort out the email notifications until I get back home in a couple of days, though. That part is quite hard.

Reactions: Mischief and KLS52
Holy moly! We're maybe just a week away from reaching the much coveted milestone of 350,000 posts! That might sound like "just a number", but it happens to be the number which is considered "big board" by some in forum admin circles :) Thank you, everyone!
If that's the "messages" total I saw somewhere on this board just now, you've only got 56 posts to go... or, rather, 55 after I hit "post reply"...

ETA: ????... it still says 349,944 for the messages total under "statistics".

ETAA: I guess it updates the count every few minutes or something. Now the total is

Darn. It'll probably roll over tonight, when I'm off-line and napping.

Last edited:
I'm only able to access on my android phone, not my chrome book, which is c what I normally use. I made sure it's allowed context, restarted, no luck!
It won't load