Captain's Log

I dunno..., i can see it. It's depicted as a "lightning" icon on the panel of tools above (on the left of the search icon). But it probably looks different to you (if you have IPhone).:ignore:
But you meant another thing, right?
Actually, that might be it, too! I found “latest posts” when I scrolled down the list of forums. When I clicked the little lightening bolt I’m pretty sure it takes me to the same thing. Thanks!

Reactions: Val
I dunno..., i can see it. It's depicted as a "lightning" icon on the panel of tools above (on the left of the search icon).
The lightning bolt icon should be displayed on all smartphones / small-screen devices, I think, but I don't have it on my laptop. I'm not sure how to easily get to the most recent post on a laptop, actually. (There is a convoluted way ...)

The lightning bolt icon should be displayed on all smartphones / small-screen devices, I think, but I don't have it on my laptop. I'm not sure how to easily get to the most recent post on a laptop, actually. (There is a convoluted way ...)
:shrug: Everything looks good to me, because in the menu (which is displayed as 3 stripes in the left upper corner) there are the "New posts" in the list. So, there are many options to find latest posts (i'm very contented).:bd:

Reactions: Second Summer
I upgraded our forum software and a couple of add-ons earlier today - they were just bugfix releases, though. Also fixed an issue with our mail server just now, but it wasn't something you would have noticed, I don't think.

Reactions: Amy SF and KLS52
I've added a block titled 'Members recently online' in the forum list sidebar. It shows a list of members who've been visiting the forum (while logged in) during the past 24 hours. We had a similar block before the upgrade, and I felt this was a useful feature that we were now missing.

... and I also added a block for a tag cloud. Tags that have been used at least twice can be displayed. I think a random selection of tags is displayed every time the page is rendered. The size of the tag indicates how popular that tag is, i.e. how much it's been used.

Click on any of the tags to get a list of the threads that are tagged with that particular tag. The idea is to make interesting threads/topics more "discoverable". (This will hopefully also force me to tidy up our tags a bit!)

... and I also added a block for a tag cloud. Tags that have been used at least twice can be displayed. I think a random selection of tags is displayed every time the page is rendered. The size of the tag indicates how popular that tag is, i.e. how much it's been used.

Click on any of the tags to get a list of the threads that are tagged with that particular tag. The idea is to make interesting threads/topics more "discoverable". (This will hopefully also force me to tidy up our tags a bit!)

Well, that will only work as long as we remember to actually USE the tags whenever we create a new thread. I know I tend to forget.

Well, that will only work as long as we remember to actually USE the tags whenever we create a new thread. I know I tend to forget.
Yes, there's that. I'll try to help - moderators can edit and add tags if needed.

I decided to move the tag cloud to the top of the forum list to make it more visible. That should also serve as a reminder to use the tags, I hope.

I tweaked the parameters a bit - now a tag need to have been used 5 times before it will be displayed in the cloud.

Reactions: Val and Amy SF
On the main page I've made the forums show up in grids (similar to before the upgrade) rather than just as a long plain list. You'll need a big screen like a desktop/laptop computer to it. You probably won't see this on a smartphone.

I'm also tinkering with the colours and other layout a bit.

I've added 'location' to the info displayed about the author of a post. E.g. for me you can see it says "Location: Oxfordshire, England".

Back in the VB days I remember there was an argument that we shouldn't display much info about the post author so as not to unnecessarily create a bias - each post should be evaluated on its own merits. However, I think the location is actually quite important, e.g. when someone asks a question about availability of certain products.

If you don't want to display your location, you can always remove that piece of information from your account details.

I'm sorry, what rule#1 are you talking about? (I can't remember)...:ooal:
Haha I was going to ask what rule number one is, too. Lol. But then I figured it was about not having to be vegan or vegetarian.

I so agree on the importance of location! Nothing specific, but country. I hate reading that's somethings vegan I knew not to be, only to discover the person is from another country!

Reactions: Second Summer