Can Anyone Help? 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for you all. I have a friend who for health reasons has to go egg-free, nondairy and gluten-free. She also can't have soy. She's trying to make custard/pudding, which is pretty tricky if you can't use silken tofu (at least in my estimation). Does anyone have a decent recipe under these conditions? She is a pudding freak, so this has all been very hard on her. She has mega health issues, hence she is trying some dietary changes to help with her various conditions. Thanks in advance. :)

What is the recipe ? Corn flour (corn starch can replace flour that contains gluten.

What is the recipe ? Corn flour (corn starch can replace flour that contains gluten.
I'm not sure. I'm guessing she's trying to adapt her usual recipe by using VeganEgg for the egg. I think she has a flour substitute already.

Question for you all. I have a friend who for health reasons has to go egg-free, nondairy and gluten-free. She also can't have soy. She's trying to make custard/pudding, which is pretty tricky if you can't use silken tofu (at least in my estimation). Does anyone have a decent recipe under these conditions? She is a pudding freak, so this has all been very hard on her. She has mega health issues, hence she is trying some dietary changes to help with her various conditions. Thanks in advance. :)
I enjoy searching for things....

No pudding here, but maybe a couple of these might satiate: 15 Soy-Free, Gluten-Free, and Dairy-Free Desserts

Oh, here's one! -- Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Gluten-Free & Soy-Free Chocolate Pudding

Personally, I've taken to using tapioca starch/flour instead of corn starch for a thickener in sauces & gravies & such....

Stovetop Rice Pudding Recipe (Creamy-Style & Vegan!)

gluten free vegan banana pudding - Sarah Bakes Gluten Free

Soy-free Vegan Chocolate Pudding | Healthful Pursuit

https://enjoylifefoods.com/recipes/desserts/

I'm not sure. I'm guessing she's trying to adapt her usual recipe by using VeganEgg for the egg. I think she has a flour substitute already.

I really do think that you need to see the exact recipe when using substitutes. You can never obtain a real custard like sauce or pudding using egg substitutes. Using corn flour or another gluten free sub makes it more stodgey.

I really do think that you need to see the exact recipe when using substitutes. You can never obtain a real custard like sauce or pudding using egg substitutes. Using corn flour or another gluten free sub makes it more stodgey.
That's pretty much what I told her regarding the egg substitutes. I will tell her about the corn flour. Thank you!

I enjoy searching for things....

No pudding here, but maybe a couple of these might satiate: 15 Soy-Free, Gluten-Free, and Dairy-Free Desserts

Oh, here's one! -- Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Gluten-Free & Soy-Free Chocolate Pudding

Personally, I've taken to using tapioca starch/flour instead of corn starch for a thickener in sauces & gravies & such....

Stovetop Rice Pudding Recipe (Creamy-Style & Vegan!)

gluten free vegan banana pudding - Sarah Bakes Gluten Free

Soy-free Vegan Chocolate Pudding | Healthful Pursuit

https://enjoylifefoods.com/recipes/desserts/
Thank you, MadamSarcastra. :)

I've used almond milk and cashew milk--no difference in recipe from cooked pudding with cornstarch--
Silk Recipes: Chocolate Pudding | Silk

You can sub arrowroot or tapioca flour/starch (same thing I think), but tapioca will be kinda sticky

Last edited:
Flax is one Tablespoon ground flax to 3 T water for each egg.

I don't know about beer o_O, or wine.
Never liked slow cookers, so nothing from me...I can talk about pressure cooking all day though:p
Wow, that was a blast from the past! But if memory serves, everything turned out nicely.

I already knew the ratio, the question was about the liquid itself... but flat, warm beer worked very well!

And I ran out of flax meal several months ago, at least.... LOL :rolleyes: I'll use that Bob's Red Mill coupon you posted the link to! :D

Wow, that was a blast from the past! But if memory serves, everything turned out nicely.

I already knew the ratio, the question was about the liquid itself... but flat, warm beer worked very well!

And I ran out of flax meal several months ago, at least.... LOL :rolleyes: I'll use that Bob's Red Mill coupon you posted the link to! :D
:rofl:
I thought I deleted that! After I wrote it I thought "wow, that seems weird she'd ask now", and I saw it was from way back!

Does anyone have a bran muffin recipe they've made and loved? I've seen a few online but most have only a single or no reviews. I did find one that looked good but it uses applesauce and I'm not sure what to use in it's place (can't eat apples, they cause migraines), maybe a banana?

Side note...maybe we should have a recipe request thread?

Does anyone have a bran muffin recipe they've made and loved? I've seen a few online but most have only a single or no reviews. I did find one that looked good but it uses applesauce and I'm not sure what to use in it's place (can't eat apples, they cause migraines), maybe a banana?

Applesauce is usually used to make a recipe low fat - it replaces oil, but I'm not sure in what proportion (i.e., whether it's a one to one substitution).

I used to make these a lot--not since going veg though! Only calls for one egg and I'm sure a flax egg, or if you like a half a mashed banana, would be fine.
The Original All-Bran® Muffins

Reactions: Calliegirl

I’ve had such a craving for bran muffins. I used to love the recipe on the Raisin Bran cereal box but I’ve never tried making a vegan version. Maybe I’ll try making some this weekend if I can find a recipe that sounds good.

I like the idea of a recipe request thread.

Last edited:
This recipe sounds pretty good. You have the option of using apple sauce or orange juice, which seems odd as I don’t think of them as interchangeable seeing the consistency is different. It’s odd how almost all the recipes I found online have applesauce in them.
Vegan Blueberry Bran Muffins | Eggless Cooking

Status
Not open for further replies.