Can Anyone Help? 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ooooh, thank you, MadamSarcastra. I don't know of anyone with a tofu issue, but a lot of people aren't keen on the texture, so maybe this could be a good option.

ETA: These also would be easier for travel.

Reactions: MadamSarcastra
Ooooh, thank you, MadamSarcastra. I don't know of anyone with a tofu issue, but a lot of people aren't keen on the texture, so maybe this could be a good option.

ETA: These also would be easier for travel.

Your broccolis tarts always looks so good. I have tried to make tarts using tofu a few times, however I have found the mixture quite unappetising. I'm not a fan of tofu and only cook with it because I have very little choice of products over here.
I'd be interested to know how the chickpea flour tarts taste like. There is going to be quite a lot of starch in the recipe which doesn't appeal to me.
There really seams to be no substitution for many recipes using eggs. Quiche is definitely one of them.

Reactions: PTree15
Your broccolis tarts always looks so good. I have tried to make tarts using tofu a few times, however I have found the mixture quite unappetising. I'm not a fan of tofu and only cook with it because I have very little choice of products over here.
I'd be interested to know how the chickpea flour tarts taste like. There is going to be quite a lot of starch in the recipe which doesn't appeal to me.
There really seams to be no substitution for many recipes using eggs. Quiche is definitely one of them.
Yes, a quiche is challenging without eggs, but I do enjoy tofu, so that option is appealing. I was also thinking that I could make my pie crust and make individual muffins with the tofu mixture. I have used chickpea flour for omelets, and it is starchy, but it was pretty tasty. Decisions, decisions. :D

I used to love broccoli quiche when I was vegetarian. I've had very nice vegan quiches at meet-ups, but I don't know how they were made.

I made a huge pot of bean and soya mince chilli today for lunch, lots of leftovers.:)

ETA - just realised this isn't the what did you cook today thread, lol.

Reactions: PTree15 and Val
So I tried the chickpea flour muffins, and while they taste wonderful, they are completely mangled because they stuck to the pan despite my oiling the pan as instructed. I just wanted to give a heads-up in case anyone else tries the recipe. I think next time I would use shortening and a dusting of flour to prevent sticking. The texture and taste were great, though. I was thinking I also could just make a solid pie instead of the muffins. The spices I added were onion powder and Italian seasoning in addition to the recipe's call for salt and pepper. The base recipe just says spices and herbs as desired. I think using a chili powder would also be great with these, with perhaps corn and spinach. The tempeh bacon came out really nice as well, and there is an actual bacon flavor in the muffin. I have leftover bacon, so I think a BLT will be in order! :D

Reactions: KLS52 and Val
Can anyone suggest an easy, cheap alternative for "sealing" spring-roll wrappers in place of raw egg? :yuck:

I don't have any flax seed, but I've read that ground flax seed & water is a very popular replacement. Any glue-like others??

I don't add any liquid to glue them as they are folded. You could always make a paste using cornflour and some water to make a glue.

Not sure if cornflour is the same/similar to cornstarch but I use cornstarch.

It works so well when I fry eggplant for parmigiana. Really holds the breadcrumbs on and fries up crispy.

Some of you may know that I planted two sprouted onions a little while ago, just for kicks. Well, the green sprouts on one of 'em are a foot long now! Can I use/eat these like green onions?? Any advice about snipping (taking outside ones first), etc.?

I have, last fall I planted an onion outside that was sprouting and used the growing top. I wonder if onions come back? I still have the green shoots in the garden and am curious to see whats underground
I've put green onions in water to get more out of them

I have, last fall I planted an onion outside that was sprouting and used the growing top. I wonder if onions come back? I still have the green shoots in the garden and am curious to see whats underground
I've put green onions in water to get more out of them
So the shoots were cool in cooking & stuff? Like green onions? 'Cuz that's exactly what they look like... green onions. (These are indoors in a big pot... it's below freezing outside... but if I can always " take a little off the top" and have them survive & keep growing, I'd love to transplant them outdoors!)

I just did a google search and it called the green shoots, chives, so yes, you can eat them!

I'm mad now, because I just threw out two sprouted onions.

I used to make this jello cake. I'm good to go with vegan gelatin and so delicious coco whip but need something in place of the sponge lady fingers.

IMG_2719.JPG

I thought of using a regular vegan cake but I don't want to just slice it as it won't look nice. Maybe buy a ladyfinger baking pan and just use a regular cake recipe? Hmmmm. This was always such a great dessert and looked so nice, too.

I just did a google search and it called the green shoots, chives, so yes, you can eat them!

I'm mad now, because I just threw out two sprouted onions.

Chives are a herb and have a far more delicate (mild garlic) flavour compared to the green shoots that taste like spring onions. I like chives with cream cheese.

I used to make this jello cake. I'm good to go with vegan gelatin and so delicious coco whip but need something in place of the sponge lady fingers.

View attachment 11263

I thought of using a regular vegan cake but I don't want to just slice it as it won't look nice. Maybe buy a ladyfinger baking pan and just use a regular cake recipe? Hmmmm. This was always such a great dessert and looked so nice, too.

This is one of those recipes where you need to whip up egg whites. So I don't see how you're going to be able to obtain good results. As you have already made meringue using chickpea water you may already have the key to the recipe ?

Status
Not open for further replies.