Can Anyone Help?

This is what I'll do, I have an old bamboo board that'll be perfect:
I have tried the old "long sawing strokes, don't press.." and still cut angled

Reactions: KLS52
What do you bread bakers use for even slices? I'm pretty happy baking bread now, but I can't make an even slice! I know they have guides, just asking for reviews
I use a serrated knife. I have an uncanny knack for cutting bread really even and thin, too, when necessary. I think I inherited it from my mom.

Reactions: PTree15
I use a serrated knife. I have an uncanny knack for cutting bread really even and thin, too, when necessary. I think I inherited it from my mom.
Dang. I remember my grandmother had no issue slicing bread. I 'know' the technique, just really suck at it, always uneven.

• Friendly
Yeah, I do that---but can't cut an even slice! I have great knife skills for veggies, but I suck at bread.
I'm thinking a wood box to use as a bread box with the opening at the end, to slide the bread out and use box as cutting guide? Sounds logical to me
I used to have what I called a bagel guillotine.
BTW, Cutting bagels is the cause of more trips to the emergency room than anything else.

Although I also really liked my Bagel holder till it broke

So, it that same vein, this device might be what you are looking for

I used to have what I called a bagel guillotine.
BTW, Cutting bagels is the cause of more trips to the emergency room than anything else.

Although I also really liked my Bagel holder till it broke

So, it that same vein, this device might be what you are looking for
I do always check amazon, or google images. I'd never pay just to slice my own bread though :laughing:, and wouldn't want to have another thing. I may get one of the washable bread bags though....
I like the idea in the youtube. I haven't given up practicing either.

At my last workplace they had a bagel guillotine that must have been pretty dull. Every time I'd see someone try it it would just squish it down and they'd swear at it :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
I do always check amazon, or google images. I'd never pay just to slice my own bread though :laughing:, and wouldn't want to have another thing. I may get one of the washable bread bags though....
I like the idea in the youtube. I haven't given up practicing either.

At my last workplace they had a bagel guillotine that must have been pretty dull. Every time I'd see someone try it it would just squish it down and they'd swear at it :rofl:

I have one of these. However, I find that a sharp serrated knife also does the trick:

Yeah, I do that---but can't cut an even slice! I have great knife skills for veggies, but I suck at bread.
I'm thinking a wood box to use as a bread box with the opening at the end, to slide the bread out and use box as cutting guide? Sounds logical to me

maybe turn the bread on its side while cutting?

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

You would be surprised at what a really sharp kitchen knife can do and no crumbs as a bonus.

• Agree
Reactions: Blues and Emma JC
What do you bread bakers use for even slices? I'm pretty happy baking bread now, but I can't make an even slice! I know they have guides, just asking for reviews
I've since made bread with a softer crust and have no more slicing problems

What's up with ratatouille? I spread a layer of marinara with basil and garlic, then super thin slices of eggplant (that I peeled and salted first) zucchini, potato and tomatos alternating, I drizzled some olive oil, salt and pepper and some Penzeys Justice seasoning blend. Baked 55 min.
It's just so meh for all that prep! Did I miss something?

I thought it was partially cooked on the stove first and then put in the oven.

Oh that's just ridiculous 🙄
It's ok. My son thinks it's fabulous.
That's good...nothing worse than spending time and money on cooking something and having it not be good.

What's up with ratatouille? I spread a layer of marinara with basil and garlic, then super thin slices of eggplant (that I peeled and salted first) zucchini, potato and tomatos alternating, I drizzled some olive oil, salt and pepper and some Penzeys Justice seasoning blend. Baked 55 min.
It's just so meh for all that prep! Did I miss something?
That sounds pretty good. The only thing I can think of is maybe the spice mix was older or that the veggies needed to cook a bit longer? Some recipes call for 90 minutes of slow cooking. But there are many variations. My mom uses Italian seasoning when she makes it, and she puts in lots of olive oil.

That sounds pretty good. The only thing I can think of is maybe the spice mix was older or that the veggies needed to cook a bit longer? Some recipes call for 90 minutes of slow cooking. But there are many variations. My mom uses Italian seasoning when she makes it, and she puts in lots of olive oil.
Nope. I just really dislike veggies in tomato sauce. Seasoning was fine, bake was fine, loved the sauce but not with those veggies.
I don't even like veggies in pasta or lasagna
My son however acts like it's the best thing I've made. He's had it on a bun, over pasta, and just in a bowl.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
Why aren't mashed potatoes, or baked potatoes a common breakfast food? What's up with all the greasy things for breakfast?
Just thought about that as I often have either leftover mashed or throw one in the microwave for work breakfast

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC
Nope. I just really dislike veggies in tomato sauce. Seasoning was fine, bake was fine, loved the sauce but not with those veggies.
I don't even like veggies in pasta or lasagna
My son however acts like it's the best thing I've made. He's had it on a bun, over pasta, and just in a bowl.
That's great that your son loves it, at least. :)