Jayda

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi everybody!

For my college course innovation and change, we need to conduct research on a certain topic and come up with some innovative idea on how to improve our topic.
As someone very conscious about what I eat, I chose "how can we reduce the usage of animal products".

In the first stage of research, I would need some feedback from this Wonderfull community! If there would be a few people so kind to answer the following questions, that would be absolutely great and you would help me a great deal! :)

• Did you get this lifestyle from your parents or did you decide it for yourself. What were the triggers to change the way you eat?
  • Did you experience any negative or positive changes when transitioning?
  • Are the people around you supportive of the fact that you are vegan?
  • Is it more expensive to be vegan in your opinion?
  • Do you feel like there is enough option for you to go out and have dinner, without having to go to the same restaurant every time?

Again, thank you so much to anyone, who takes the time to read this and respond.
Best of wishes
Jayda

Reactions: Second Summer
Did you get this lifestyle from your parents or did you decide it for yourself. What were the triggers to change the way you eat?
No, I decided on my own. It was a long process with multiple influences. First of all, my mother instilled good values such as respect and compassion for animals and nature from a young age. I always hated eating meat foods with visible blood vessels and so on. Then I learnt in school that there were such lifestyles as vegetarianism and veganism. Then I met a few people who actually adhered to those principles, and I was exposed to and sought out anti-meat themes in literature and music. Then I made the decision to go vegetarian, and some years later I also went vegan.
Did you experience any negative or positive changes when transitioning?
Not really, but I've managed to stay relatively slim and healthy despite a sedentary occupation and lack of exercise.
Are the people around you supportive of the fact that you are vegan?
My parents were not overwhelmingly supportive at first, but my mother came around to accepting it, and then my dad did too. He's even cooked for me, which is amazing considering his background. My wife went vegan before we met, and our daughter has been vegan her whole life.
Is it more expensive to be vegan in your opinion?
For us it's probably a bit more expensive, yes, but I also think it's possible to live cheaply as a vegan if you have time to cook more from scratch and seek out good deals.
Do you feel like there is enough option for you to go out and have dinner, without having to go to the same restaurant every time?
Yes, no problem at all where we live (southern part of the UK).

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
  • Did you get this lifestyle from your parents or did you decide it for yourself. What were the triggers to change the way you eat?
I read a newspaper article on dairy farming. I'm sure that it didn't come out of the blue. but it was the trigger that got me started on this journey
  • Did you experience any negative or positive changes when transitioning?
No. But I think i'm unusual. I transitioned over a period of 10 years. very very gradual.

• Are the people around you supportive of the fact that you are vegan?
Now, yes. but not everyone at the beginning. Some were the opposite of supportive.
  • Is it more expensive to be vegan in your opinion?
Depends. but in my experience and i think generally its less expensive. Some people buy a lot of special vegan prepared products which are more expensive. Some people make a lot of stuff from scratch. I do a little of both.

• Do you feel like there is enough option for you to go out and have dinner, without having to go to the same restaurant every time?
I'm not sure. Even before I went vegan I went to the same restaurants a lot. Oh, sometimes I did like to adventure and explore. Still do. but probably 90% of the time I go to the same 5 or 6 places. But now, most restaurants are closed - i hardly go anywhere.