Can Anyone Help? 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I forgot about the aquafaba! Maybe! :)

I saw this recipe from Dr Furhman-
Bean Pasta with Brussels Sprouts and "Blue Cheese"
and wanted to try it as a salad dressing. I loved blue cheese with apples and walnuts, and have instead turned to green olives as my sub. I started by putting the cashews in my mini blender and using an immersion blender for everything else. I omitted the sesame seeds, and also decided to leave out the cashews because all they would do would add thickness, and I wasn't after that, I also used water instead of milk. Anyway, it didn't taste a doggone thing like blue cheese, and those omissions wouldn't make a difference. I then thought about using olive brine--that helped. It's a good base for a creamy dressing.
Funny, before I added the brine I thought it tasted more like a Ceaser dressing. When I looked up the link to post I found this, which is pretty much exactly the same!
Dr. Fuhrman's caesar salad dressing Recipe

Any other thoughts on add ins? I'm thinking I should get some dill and do more of a ranch dressing

I've yet to find any faux bleu cheese dressing that actually tastes like that dressing. I have, however, made a dressing that when paired with buffalo seitan nuggets comes closest to it. One of the main ingredients is tahini, so you might want to add the sesame seeds back in. By itself, it doesn't really taste like bleu cheese dressing, but when I dip the nuggets in, it's pretty tasty. I think it also has cider vinegar, olive oil and white miso as well. It's fairly creamy.

I kinda hate tahini :p Another thing I tried really hard to like. Had a jar for years. Then I tried a salad dressing with it- something godess. I do like sesame seeds though, but don't see how they would lend a blue cheese taste. I think I've succumbed to think of blue cheese as tasting like green olives

I kinda hate tahini :p Another thing I tried really hard to like. Had a jar for years. Then I tried a salad dressing with it- something godess. I do like sesame seeds though, but don't see how they would lend a blue cheese taste. I think I've succumbed to think of blue cheese as tasting like green olives
Oh, well that's unfortunate about not liking tahini. :D I didn't think the recipe I use would taste like bleu cheese, either, given the ingredients, and it really didn't. Despite it not tasting like bleu cheese, it was pretty good. To me, it was more like a ranch dressing.

I think this will too, just needs some dill.
I think I'll mix some Italian dressing in a bit and see how that turns out. Maybe a creamy Italian? Never been a fan, but who knows now?
I should have left it alone with just a package of french onion dip and used for cooked greens-or a cream of cauliflower soup!

Reactions: PTree15
I think this will too, just needs some dill.
I think I'll mix some Italian dressing in a bit and see how that turns out. Maybe a creamy Italian? Never been a fan, but who knows now?
I should have left it alone with just a package of french onion dip and used for cooked greens-or a cream of cauliflower soup!
If you like Vegenaise, that also works well as a base for a dressing. It's got some tang to it. I often use it as a base for a sauce to put on wraps. Last night, I added sriracha sauce to it and poured it over grilled seitan that I used for a wrap. It was delicious. It makes a good vegan tartar sauce as well.

If you like Vegenaise, that also works well as a base for a dressing. It's got some tang to it. I often use it as a base for a sauce to put on wraps. Last night, I added sriracha sauce to it and poured it over grilled seitan that I used for a wrap. It was delicious. It makes a good vegan tartar sauce as well.
That, I know!! I tried this recipe just to see, after all, it was called "blue cheese"!
I use Just Mayo most just because it's cheaper! It's great with nooch and a bit of lemon--much more cheese sauce like than the tofu dressing, just not "blue" cheese like, but oh well.
Also good with horseradish, and ranch herbs

That, I know!! I tried this recipe just to see, after all, it was called "blue cheese"!
I use Just Mayo most just because it's cheaper! It's great with nooch and a bit of lemon--much more cheese sauce like than the tofu dressing, just not "blue" cheese like, but oh well.
Also good with horseradish, and ranch herbs
Oooh, I never thought to put nooch and lemon in it. That sounds great. Thanks for the idea!

I absolutely love vegan mayo mixed with Sriracha!

Reactions: PTree15
Couple quick questions. Need to know ASAP.

I know the ratio of flaxseed meal to liquid as an egg substitute... I even read about using beer. :) Can I also use, say, red or white wine?? o_O

If a slow-cooker recipe says to cook either on high for 2 hours OR on low for 4 hours, can I do 1 hour on high & 2 hours on low?? :shrug:

I'm not a terribly experienced slow-cooker cook... and this will be my very first time using flax in place of egg. Just wonderin'....

I got nuthin'. :(

I imagine if you can use beer that wine would be ok but just guessing.

I'm not knowledgeable in slow cookery either. Sorry.

I don't have much, either. Not sure about wine with flax seed, but you never know. I haven't ever tried to speed up a slow cooker; I just go by whatever the recipe says.

Couple quick questions. Need to know ASAP.

I know the ratio of flaxseed meal to liquid as an egg substitute... I even read about using beer. :) Can I also use, say, red or white wine?? o_O

If a slow-cooker recipe says to cook either on high for 2 hours OR on low for 4 hours, can I do 1 hour on high & 2 hours on low?? :shrug:

I'm not a terribly experienced slow-cooker cook... and this will be my very first time using flax in place of egg. Just wonderin'....
For one egg it's 1 Tablespoon ground flax seed in 3 Tablespoons water. Best let sit, though a lot of recipes just have you add the flax to the dry - depends on how you need it for.
You're making lasagna? So it would be with the whatever you're using for ricotta? I would think making it separate would be right.
Never heard of using beer- other than like beer bread.
I do a tofu ricotta with olive oil, lemon juice, herbs, and nooch and let sit to marinate itself--oh yeah, I found some white miso is good there too

For one egg it's 1 Tablespoon ground flax seed in 3 Tablespoons water. Best let sit, though a lot of recipes just have you add the flax to the dry - depends on how you need it for.
You're making lasagna? So it would be with the whatever you're using for ricotta? I would think making it separate would be right.
Never heard of using beer- other than like beer bread.
I do a tofu ricotta with olive oil, lemon juice, herbs, and nooch and let sit to marinate itself--oh yeah, I found some white miso is good there too
I'm trying to decide if I want to sacrifice three whole tablespoons of beer, though.... :p LMAO

Not beer! In lasagna? :confused: Just do the flax and water!
I guess if you like wine taste in food....
I did one tablespoon of beer & two of water. Let it sit for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, poured it into ricotta, very gelatinous! Funky. :D

I did one tablespoon of beer & two of water. Let it sit for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, poured it into ricotta, very gelatinous! Funky. :D
How'd it turn out? I've never done lasagna in a slow cooker, but i think I have all the ingrediants

How'd it turn out? I've never done lasagna in a slow cooker, but i think I have all the ingrediants
**sigh** I JUST turned the slow-cooker on. Crock pot or not, this was still a huge pain in my ***. LOL :confused:

I also realized (too late) that it's for a 6-quart, not my dinky 4-quart. I have leftover stuff I'll probably toss in a loaf pan or something.

And now I wait.... and drink. I'm doin' 2 hours on high instead of 4 on low. We'll see what happens. Right now, I'm all about more beer & hoping my back feels better (it acts up when I cook/prep a lot)....

Question for you all. I have a friend who for health reasons has to go egg-free, nondairy and gluten-free. She also can't have soy. She's trying to make custard/pudding, which is pretty tricky if you can't use silken tofu (at least in my estimation). Does anyone have a decent recipe under these conditions? She is a pudding freak, so this has all been very hard on her. She has mega health issues, hence she is trying some dietary changes to help with her various conditions. Thanks in advance. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.