Brea c

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I would like to know your personal thoughts and feelings toward vegan alternatives. (Vegan Food Alternatives)

Alternatives Like or similiar to:

• Plant-based milk
  • Plant-based Milk products: Cheese, yogurt, sour cream, butter, etc.
  • Plant-based proteins: tofu, boca (veggie chickn patties), “ground” meat, etc.
  • Plant-based Eggs
  • Processed foods: fake honey, etc
  • Etc.
I am doing a paper and wanted to know what individuals of the community thought in particular about vegan food alternatives.

Here are some questions you can consider answering:
First two please answer.
  • Are you for or against vegan alternatives?**
  • Why or why not do you agree with alternatives?*
  • What ideology or image do you believe vegan alternatives promote?

Last edited:
Define alternatives. Alternatives to what? There is no need for an alternative to meat or dairy. A desire perhaps.
The alternatives: vegetables and fruit, have been there all along.
Processed fake meat is junkfood no one needs, merely desires.

Reactions: Brea c
Define alternatives. Alternatives to what? There is no need for an alternative to meat or dairy. A desire perhaps.
The alternatives: vegetables and fruit, have been there all along.
Processed fake meat is junkfood no one needs, merely desires.
I updated, but yes, fake meat, fake dairy, etc.

I don't consider plant milks (the kind with just the plant and water) and tofu to be alternatives to anything.
As for food mimicking animal products, I'm not personally a fan, though I'm glad these things are available for the people who want them. These items promote the idea that whatever one's taste desires, pretty much all of it can be accomplished without the need to kill other living beings for it.

I think those are a nice way of familiarize people with the vegan diet/lifestyle. It's the things that omnivores were most likely to "miss" when going vegan, right? Personally, I love soy milk (matcha latte:heart_eyes:) and you can do so much other stuff with soy yogurt and plant milk (cashew-fondue with soy yogurt, plant milk etc.), which adds to the vegan palette!
As for meat substitutes: My mother puts it into everything (and I mean: everything) because she loves them and always has (she has been a vegetarian since she was 3 years old;)) but I don't really like them. I mean, there are a few that are really tasty (like the Virginia Steak from the brand Wheaty) but I prefer the taste of fresh, self-made stuff to any kind of ready-mades.
I have never tried vegan eggs, but I don't really miss them? You can easily replace them with apple sauce or bananas when you're baking, though...
My grandfather is a beekeeper in a small town near a beautiful natural area and I usually eat his honey (call me a hypocrite) but I do like agave syrup just as much. The only thing that I prefer about honey is that it has antiseptic and soothing effects, I use it to treat wounds and such.

I love vegan alternatives.
Alternatives save animals.
Vegan alternatives promote compassion!

Earths Own is amazing!
Go Veggie, Tofutti are so good!
Vegan becel I amazing!
I just use flax and water for eggs in baking. I don't really use any other vegan egg products.
Tofurky, yves are so great!
Brown rice syrup instead of honey!

Reactions: Emma JC and Sax
For myself , l do not wish to eat "pretend meat" - l am a vegan for ethical reasons , so why would l want to eat something that looks like dead animal flesh ?(and is named that way) I understand that others may want to , that is entirely their choice , but it is not for me.

I also feel that all of these processed and packaged products are not so good for the body . Some of these products have high levels of salt and other highly processed contents .
Also , as a vegan of 42 years , l would strongly advise against too much tofu .. Small amounts only .. Fermented soy is ok - tempeh , for example , but too much tofu is not good for the body . It's not meant to be the main ingredient of a meal , or weekly diet ..
I eat mostly fresh , organic vegies , wholegrain bread and avocado , olive oil , brown rice , nuts , tempeh , oat milk , etc . and some fruit in season . The vegetables are cooked a variety of ways - curries , soup , stir-fries , roasted , filo-pastry parcels ,etc ..
Wholegrain toast with avocado and tomato on top for breakfast..
The more your food comes as nature intended it , the better for your body ..

Obviously , in the end , what you eat ( without harming any being) is entirely your business ..
Stay healthy people - healthy vegans will encourage more vegans , hopefully ..
Sending out bliss-energy for all beings ....
From Blissful x

Reactions: Tomas and Sax
I dont let myself get hung up on names or titles or shapes or similarities

I mean, technically when you bite into a fruit like a pear, you're tearing into its flesh :scream:. and im not going to stop myself from eating a cucumber because it has the same shape as a salami :p

Reactions: Lou
I am Pro-Alternatives.
My only issue that some of the alternatives are not particularly healthy. I think it's arguable that the Impossible Burger is healthier than a real burger. But you could use those as substitute convenience foods or something to have in a restaurant. And perhaps a good rule is to eat those kinds of things sparingly.

Reactions: Emma JC
Hey Mavrick , l don't let myself get "hung up" on anything - the secret to a blissful life ! Years ago l tried some of those pretend-meat products , and l noticed that they tasted very salty and made me very thirsty - when you check out the long list of ingredients , it's rather amazing .. ( and unnatural)
I can , and do , eat a very good diet without needing to eat pretend-meat .. The whole point for me is that food doesn't have to pretend to be a dead animal - because an animal isn't food , anyway .. Since childhood , l have never considered animals as food , so why would l want to eat something that is trying to look and taste like animals ?

What you or anyone else does is entirely your choice .However , the "alternatives" seem to imply that we need to somehow include the idea of eating animals in our minds and diets .. If they help people transition , wonderful , but from a health point of view ,especially , they shouldn't be the main part of the diet .
Transitioning at the age of 17 , for me , was easy - for someone who loves all beings , and knows the Oneness of all life , not eating other sentient beings is entirely natural .. We don't eat other humans , either , do we ? So , do you need pretend-human leg or arm or breast included in your food choices ?

Whatever your feelings are , enjoy your freedom to choose .. Aren't we lucky that we have so much choice ? Aren't we amazingly blessed to have full stomachs whenever we wish , and not be starving ?
Wishing you all abundance and peace and love , from Blissful x

Although I hardly use any alternatives myself, I do appreciate that they exist. These products generally make the transition for those who want to become vegan or vegetarian easier so it's all good in my book.
Personally I'm not the biggest fan of processed food though. The best food in my opinion is still unprocessed, fresh food. I do use oat milk, coconut milk or soy cream sometimes for sauces.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
100% FOR. It's the only way we are going to get more vegans and vegetarians on-board. Plus they're fun and tasty, and because we live under the spectre of global capitalism, it's the best way to compete economically with non-vegan companies.

I don't think it's healthy to live off of them, but they're good in moderation. Some more than others. Yum.

Reactions: Emma JC
AGAINST all alternatives completely and entirely. Vegan alternatives alone are what led me to inititially question the fundamental ethos of veganism.. they divide true vegans from the pretensious wannabees.
Milk, cheese, butter, eggs, MEAT: are these vegan??
Absolutely not, so how can any part of a vegan diet incorporate even the notion of these items being healthy or ethically sound. Vegan ingredients should never imititate those derived from animals, simple as.
Don't even get me started on meat style textured products, COCONUT and anything tofu or soy based, they are just the worst for the world. No better way to decimate our ecosystems with such ridiculously high demand for a narrow range of staples.

You, of course, are entitled to your opinion. and as a rule, I usually allow people to have whatever opinion they wish.

But...

your ideas are so out of whack I can't control myself.

TofuRobot uses a sculpture of a turkey made of fruit as her avatar. You would call her not a true vegan? And who gave you that authority/power/responsibility?

And what do you think of this cauliflower sculpture of a lamb?

why do you think soy and coconuts are decimating ecosystems? what about almonds and pinto beans? How do you determine which foods are good and which are evil?

My Doc Martens look like leather boots but they are synthetic. I must be some kind of wannabe too.

My apologies if you were being sarcastic and I didn't get it. That happens sometimes.

http---www.myshopkart.net-agrandplace2-images-_products-iwds-20-4002355.jpg

Yes, I am entitled to my opinion and I agree that we should allow others to express whatever they wish, providing it's not hurtful. Therefore it's not really appropriate to label strong opinions as being out of whack is it.
It is my viewpoint and my intention is more to respond to Brea c relating to their original questions, rather than being questioned myself.

Yes, I am entitled to my opinion and I agree that we should allow others to express whatever they wish, providing it's not hurtful. Therefore it's not really appropriate to label strong opinions as being out of whack is it.
It is my viewpoint and my intention is more to respond to Brea c relating to their original questions, rather than being questioned myself.

Well, your answer implied that a lot of the forum members (including myself) are pretentious wannabees. I was just sticking up for us.

I also think you need to define alternatives. Is soy milk an alternative? Is tofu? A bean burger?

when I first try learning how to prepare my first Veggi dish. I spent hours and hours of banging my
head on the wall trying different methods out. I wanted to know about what Alternatives was out there and WHAT is an ALTERNATIVE, i found a great Certified Holistic Health Coach that shares natural diet tips to make it EASY to be healthy, You may fine it helpful also, Check out the following link .... https://dausel.co/7fLAZsafter

Reactions: Lou
when I first try learning how to prepare my first Veggi dish. I spent hours and hours of banging my
head on the wall trying different methods out. I wanted to know about what Alternatives was out there and WHAT is an ALTERNATIVE, i found a great Certified Holistic Health Coach that shares natural diet tips to make it EASY to be healthy, You may fine it helpful also, Check out the following link .... https://dausel.co/7fLAZsafter

I think the link is broken.