What's in your Garden?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The squirrels started attacking the hanging baskets, tearing the fiber out to use for bedding. In the process, they broke three stalks off of a cantaloupe plant.

So I moved it indoors, hung it in a window, and put the broken stalks in water. I'm going to try to propagate them. I don't know if it'll work.

I'll probably have to move all of the outdoor hanging baskets to squirrel-proof areas. I doubt they'll stop at the cantaloupes. I need to move the amaranth, rosemary and thyme too. But it's really hot right now. I'm waiting until it gets cooler.

Seed harvest! I'm harvesting sunflower and collard seeds.

The cantaloupe plants suddenly got sick with a really bad case of powdery mildew or something similar. One is almost dead. I'm hoping its fruit will somehow make it to the edible stage.

The first tomato is almost ripe. The rose bushes are blooming. The amaranth is getting big. And the backyard is suddenly full of pink flowers - a bush that was there when I moved in, plus the pink leaves of the coleus that sprouted in the basil pot. I actually hate pink, but I'm trying to embrace it and get used to it.

Reactions: Chryssie
I need to sweep the garden.

IMG_20201021_161116.jpg

IMG_20201021_161048.jpg

IMG_20201021_161034.jpg

I planted some of the collard seeds from the Summer's harvest. They've just begun sprouting. These are indoors, but I might try some outdoors too. They're pretty cold-resistant.

IMG_20201021_160839.jpg

IMG_20201021_160801.jpg

Reactions: KLS52 and Chryssie
I just planted radishes and turnips in the past two weeks because I heard they were easy to grow. They're already sprouting so well I will have to thin them! I also have a "kitchen garden" of basil, dill, marjoram and sage.

Reactions: KLS52 and Chryssie
Lots and lots of fallen leaves! 🤦‍♀️

I moved a stalk of lucky bamboo from water to soil after a tomato plant died.

1A7719EE-ACE9-482F-98DD-E253006CC460.jpeg

I brought this sage plant in for the winter. The colorful leaves next to it are from its neighbor, a Coleus.

It was looking stressed. I think it’ll get healthier indoors.

4706A948-BF1B-49B9-B8FD-51F4235E8E0E.jpeg

I brought most of the plants in before the storm. The ones I left outside are mostly pretty cold-tolerant - roses, carrots and rosemary. There is also a large pot of sage outside, covered in snow. Sadly, those guys might not make it. And I let the amaranth go because they’re enormous, and at the end of their natural lifespan.

EDIT: I mean I left the three amaranth plants outside in their pots. They were dying, so I’m just letting nature take its course. I brought in the thyme, pothos, collards, and some flowers.

Last edited:
Here are the beginnings of my 2021 gardening.

IMG_20210313_111009.jpg
That jar contains teeny, tiny, tomato plants.

IMG_20210312_155720.jpg
New azaleas

IMG_20210316_175734.jpg
These are perennials on the East side of my patio fence.
I need a new birdbath as the poor little gnome one is falling apart. :( I can't find another like it as it is discontinued.

I've recently planted some fruit trees. Plums and some apple trees. I cannot wait for them to grow so I can enjoy their fruits. I had to cut some trees from my garden because they were damaged and I had to call some friends in order to help me out. We've had to use a strong rope in order to make sure that the tree falls into the right spot. You can find more about this and I sure that you will find a good rope if you ever need one. It's really important to use quality tools, regarding the domain that you are working into. You can never go wrong with that

Last edited:
That's so pretty Chryssie! It really doesn't take many of those white stones to look so nice!
I raked a whole bunch of leaves. Still unsure of how far I want to go to grow things

Reactions: Chryssie
Thanks! I am still not satisfied though. I may get more white rocks and I am thinking about black mulch. I have already spent so much on this little project!

Reactions: KLS52
Status
Not open for further replies.