What's in your Garden?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeez- I'm sorry about the squirrels vandalizing your tomatoes, Poppy. I can't speak for you, but I think I would rather they just eat a whole tomato or two or three than just damage several. Something similar appeared to be happening to my peaches a month ago, but they've been safe lately.

I wish I had started some marigolds this year. I save seeds each year and I'm sure the seeds are still good, but I just didn't get around to starting any. I don't know if they keep pests away, but they add some color to my garden.

Reactions: Val
I planted marigolds and they all look dead...what the heck!?! I thought they were easy and indestructible.

Here is a trick for ripening tomatoes! This has worked pretty well as we do pick the tomatoes before they are totally ripe. Put the unripe tomatoes in a brown paper bag with a ripe banana and close it up. After a couple days, the tomato will be redder and the banana will need to go in the freezer for a future smoothie!

Here is a trick for ripening tomatoes! This has worked pretty well as we do pick the tomatoes before they are totally ripe. Put the unripe tomatoes in a brown paper bag with a ripe banana and close it up. After a couple days, the tomato will be redder and the banana will need to go in the freezer for a future smoothie!
That works great for avocados, too! :)

I have tomatoes!!!! Lol
Three plants...one has one tomato, one has two tomatoes, and the third has a few tomatoes. :D
Here's hoping I don't kill them before they ripen, haha.
IMG_5558.JPG

Reactions: Chryssie
Thats how my tomatoes have looked for the last week! It's like all my plants have stopped growing!.
My sons cilantro is turning to coriander, I'm ok with that!

What should I make with coriander?

I bought $1 tomato plants in July and planted them about a week ago. They're about the only thing in my garden that isn't suffering from all the rain. My poor raspberry bush looks dead!

I should mention the soil at my plot is heavy on the clay, so it retains water really well....which isn't so good for certain plants!

On the bright side, I seem to have stopped the animal from eating my flowers. I sprinkled ground up dried chilis on the plant. The bunny or squirrel, whatever it was, chewed off a bunch of the flower heads before they had a chance to bloom.

Thats how my tomatoes have looked for the last week! It's like all my plants have stopped growing!.
My sons cilantro is turning to coriander, I'm ok with that!

What should I make with coriander?
Plant it and grow more cilantro!

I loooove cilantro :D

Seriously though, if you like curries, many of them call for coriander, either ground or whole depending on the recipe. That's where most of my coriander goes.

I spent a good two hours last night weeding the garden plot. The peas that I planted (after the first batch died) are coming up, so hopefully those will actually do well. The butternut squash came up. That has got to be the easiest veggie that I've ever grown.

I'm looking for stuff that I can plant in July and harvest in the fall. There is still a good chunk of the garden that I haven't used yet. I'm thinking salad greens? Or maybe root veggies like parsnips and beets, though I'm worried they won't grow very well. The soil is so compact that my carrots were completely stunted last year.

^^^ @Katrina, at least some salad greens do well if planted late in the season. Many don't care much for heat, but if you plant them at the right time in the summer, the weather is getting cooler as they're maturing- and most of them grow rather fast.

So my peach tree has about a jillion peaches that are going to be the size of apricots. I knew the peaches needed thinning (fruit trees sometimes need this) shortly after it bloomed and I thought I did a good job when they were about the size of green pimento-stuffed olives, but it almost seems like more grew to replace the ones I picked off. I had one within the past week- it was still rather hard but it was turning pinkish-red. The pit was quite small too. I think they'll be good anyway. Live and learn.

I started some late romaine lettuce and mustard greens in my community garden plot, and have butternut squash forming on my plants at home. Both of my lovage plants (from the one I divided earlier this year) seem to be doing okay, but the butternut squash is crawling all around one of them. I just keep herding the squash away so the lovage gets enough light.

Reactions: Chryssie and Val
We have lots of strawberries and black currant. Rhubarb stalks are very thin, as it is not the season for them already. The gooseberries are still green. This sort is called "The northern grapes" and it is supposed to be purple... But i've eaten almost all of them.:D

Reactions: Chryssie
Excellent: my plum tomato and cherry tomato plants all have tomatoes (albeit green tomatoes) on them.

My peaches are almost ripe, though as I mentioned, they're small. So this Peter Piper has been picking piles of puny peaches (so the poor tree can straighten up again, and so I can nom my homegrown fruit). The late mustard greens are getting bigger, but I don't know what happened to the lettuce.

And I harvested the fresh dill which self-seeded last season. I LOVE that stuff... it tastes nice by itself but just a little bit of vinegar really seems to bring out fresh dill leaf's flavor. And the smell when it's drying around my house is just wonderful. (I freeze some of the fresh leaf after I've rinsed it off, too).

Status
Not open for further replies.