What's in your Garden?

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^ Excellent! I usually have good luck with squash-family plants.

A while ago I bought a bag of fresh white potatoes- and last week I saw one of them sprouting a good-sized eye. I cut out the sprout with enough potato to serve as food for the new plant while it gets going, then I planted it in a pot of soil I had. It's only been a week. I read that potatoes prefer a rather acid soil (around a pH of 5, maybe?) or otherwise they might develop scab. Dunno if I want to acidify my soil unduly for just one potato plant...

@KLS52 - here's to a good snow crop for you! A week or so ago it was clinging to tree branches, and it really looked nice (if a bit late for the holidays).

Reactions: Val and Katrina
We got our flowers from the complex today. 6 plants to put in the planters. I have to plan my other flower garden soon. There is a Flower and Garden event downtown this Saturday so we hope to pick up a couple tomatoes, and maybe a pepper or two to get going. Depending on how expensive the vendors are, I may pick out some flowers too.
Good luck with the potato, Tom!

I just found seeds for these pear-shaped yellow tomatoes. I had something similar in the garden two years ago, and they were delicious, so of course I bought them. I'll get those seeds started and put one of the plants right outside the house and keep another one or two at the plot. They taste sooo good roasted with a bit of salt and pepper.

Reactions: Val
I can't stop the urge to start a garden, even though it doesn't carry through... My rhubarb looks like it's coming up so i have to do something! I need to make a fence

Here are the current flowers and vegetables. 2 tomato plants, a jalepeno and bell pepper. The pumpkins continue to grow as well and need a trellis or something to climb so they don't spread down the hill and get mowed by the lawn guys!

20180419_181342.jpg

20180419_181350.jpg

20180419_181522.jpg

20180419_181535.jpg

Reactions: Val and KLS52
Everything looks so nice, Chryssie! I don’t usually do anything until Memorial Day weekend and with the way the weather has been going here this year, I may have to wait till July 4, haha.

I haven't put anything outside yet, though I do have plants growing on the windowsill: yellow tomatoes, bok choy, peas.

We're supposed to get the last frost this week, so I'm planning to put out some cool-weather plants soon.

Reactions: Chryssie and Val
I don’t trust the weather so no planting for me for at least two weeks but I did manage to get out there and do the clean up.

Reactions: Val and Chryssie
Wow, Chryssie, I'm impressed with all your plants. Everything looks wonderful!

I can't stop the urge to start a garden, even though it doesn't carry through... My rhubarb looks like it's coming up so i have to do something! I need to make a fence
Eee rhubarb! I'm planning to start a rhubarb plant this year, if I can find it (last gardening store I checked didn't have it...).

I actually introduced a friend of mine to rhubarb last month in the form of a pie. In all the years living in Canada, she hadn't yet tried rhubarb. It's so good!

The weather is now good enough to put some plants out, though I'm worried about the squirrels and bunnies. I might have to plant the arugula seeds in a hanging basket. The tomatoes should be okay, though I still need to make the upside-down planter (gonna hang it up in the backyard this year!). And I should probably build some sort of cage/contraption to stop the bunnies from eating the bok choy.

Eee rhubarb! I'm planning to start a rhubarb plant this year, if I can find it (last gardening store I checked didn't have it...).

I actually introduced a friend of mine to rhubarb last month in the form of a pie. In all the years living in Canada, she hadn't yet tried rhubarb. It's so good!
Yeeey! Rhubarb!:clp:. If you start a rhubarb plant, you definitely won't regret. I like it plain. We have some at the summer cottage garden. It is one of the most delicious fruit (is that even a fruit?) i've ever tried:drool: But, i see, you already love it.....<3

I love rhubarb but it doesn't grow here as it is too hot. You can find it at the grocery store sometimes though. I remember my former MIL making the most wonderful rhubarb desserts!

I also love rhubarb, and it's really expensive in stores! Never understood that, as it seems to grow so easily. I wish I'd have planted more. Is it one of those plants that comes up the next year? Last summer i thought it died! I was surprised to see it growing

I also love rhubarb, and it's really expensive in stores! Never understood that, as it seems to grow so easily. I wish I'd have planted more. Is it one of those plants that comes up the next year? Last summer i thought it died! I was surprised to see it growing
Yep. In the house I grew up in, we had a rhubarb plant in the backyard that came back every year. It didn't require much care, aside from not running it over with the lawnmower.

Status
Not open for further replies.