What's in Your Garden? (2013 edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the nights would stop getting in the low 30's I would take my plants outside!! :confused: I have squash, cucumbers, pumpkins, corn, bell peppers, carrots, and onions all over growing their containers and ready to go out in my newly built raised garden!!!

Reactions: das_nut
Okay- my onion seed isnt dead after all- I'm not getting a good germination rate, but I'll plant the rest of the seed. It could go directly into the ground- onions can take cold- but they're so small when they first come up that I think I'll start all of them in small pots of soil.

My watermelons are germinating, but I think I killed one of them trying to get the seed coat off of the first two leaves.

The peach tree I transplanted is leafing out. I think the bell pepper and two tomatoes I took in last fall are going to make it.

Reactions: das_nut
I'm liking too many posts in this thread.

Probably because I'm deprived since it snowed yesterday. :/

I planted a red raspberry and a purple raspberry. Both bareroot. They look like dry dead canes. I'm anxious to see signs of life.

We planted bareroot raspberries this year too and some of them are showing they are alive! Just barely, at the base. It's hard waiting for these things to get established. I want immediate gratification!

My plants aren't growing. I think they are dead. x3 Guess I should look up how to grow spinach/bell peppers.. Looks like I can't just simply put a seed in soil, put it in a pot, and expect it to grow. Also, I think I over watered them

We planted bareroot raspberries this year too and some of them are showing they are alive! Just barely, at the base. It's hard waiting for these things to get established. I want immediate gratification!

I think mine took a couple or three years to really get established (planted them like 14 years ago so I may be remembering incorrectly) but we get piles of them now, speaking of which I'll have to cut out the dead canes soon. I was smart this go around when I planted them, not in the yard, but between the garage and the alley.

I do not have a garden, but I hope to as soon as I can. We have two avocado trees we started from pits and I just bought a kiffar lime tree. The are all about 2-3 feet. I am not so good at growing plants.

Edit, I just measured the avocados are 28 inches and the lime is 40 inches.

Fresh avocados and limes... yum. (I forget whether those two types of tree need to have a different variety nearby to set fruit.) Are you in an area where they can at least be put outside most of the year?

I'm gonna try to grow some spinach and bell peppers.
The seeds are still germinating.
I hope you have better luck with spinach than I have- it's one of my fave vegetables but it just won't grow for me. (Maybe the hungry, drooling looks I give it every now and then are detrimental to it...) But the bell pepper plant I dug up last year before it froze to death is definitely coming back- it's putting out a lot of leaves. Maybe I'll leave it outside in the big pot until cold weather so I won't have to dig it up again. It's living up to its variety name- "Big Bertha"- aphids or some sort of small bug came in with it last fall, but it's not dead.

The cherry tomato plant is doing okay, but the "Super Steak" beefsteak tomato I took cuttings from two years in a row is dead, I think...

If the nights would stop getting in the low 30's I would take my plants outside!! :confused: I have squash, cucumbers, pumpkins, corn, bell peppers, carrots, and onions all over growing their containers and ready to go out in my newly built raised garden!!!
Whoa- I didn't know you could even start corn in containers...

Bought herbs for the whiskey barrel: thyme, rosemary, and two basil plants. I need to top of the soil mix before I can plant.

Also bought the veggies: three peppers (two different jalapeños, plus banana pepper), and three tomatoes (Juliette grape tomato, Brandywine, and Mr Stripey). I need to order the raised bed kit this week and get soil mix so I can plant them next week. I've planted bell peppers three years in a row and never gotten a single pepper from them, so I won't ever plant those again.

The raised bed will be 4'x4'. I will stake the tomatoes and cage the peppers. Do I dare try to cram anything else in there, or just stick with what I've got?

I should start the okra seeds soon. I'll put those directly in the ground, by the fence. Can't set them out until June, though, I think. I got a dwarf variety this year.

I tried okra last year... failed miserably.

As far as your raised beds I'd probably try and squeeze some squash (like spaghetti) along one of the sides. It will run all over the place but won't take much room in the raised bed. I've had very good luck the last 2 years doing this in my raised beds (also 4x4).

I'm pretty much going to stick to various greens and beets in my beds this year.

I got 3 EarthBoxes last year for my tomatoes, which I will use again. Holy smokes I got more tomatoes than I ever had before, I'm sold on them. I'm going to get one more to put peppers in this year.

I thought about it awhile, and maybe I'll just fill in around the tomatoes and peppers with marigolds or something.

Okra does really well here, as long as it's in a sunny spot. I didn't garden last year, but the two previous years I grew okra, and eight plants produced far more than I could eat. (Husband won't touch it.)

No veggies, but I bought some beautiful dahlias and two pineapple sage plants for my flower bed in the front yard. I'm very excited about the pineapple sage. I'm gearing myself up for doing some work out there. I have six Sedum that I would like to relocate but I need to do a little research on how to do that without killing them.

Fresh avocados and limes... yum. (I forget whether those two types of tree need to have a different variety nearby to set fruit.) Are you in an area where they can at least be put outside most of the year?.

Yup, I am in FL. The lime tree is not for the limes, as they are apparently hardly edible. The leaves are used for curries. Num!

What's in my garden? Ducks and badgers at the moment! :D I saw the badger the other morning, and a pair of ducks keep loitering around the bottom of my bird feeder.

The ducks are eating my lettuce and have snapped some of the sunflower plants rooting in the soil. I've re-planted some and sown another three sun flower seeds

Lucky for them they are adorable, so I don't really mind :)

Reactions: CrazyCatLady
Daughter and I planted a good part of our garden today.

We've got two varieties of onions, some carrots, parsnips, swiss chard, peas, beans, beets, arugula and some radishes. Those are already planted in the garden, and I ran out of space! We'll need to reserve a 3rd lot to get our tomato, peppers and cucumber plants in! It's a good thing that there are a few left.

I saw Asda were selling pumpkin plants for 79p. I was so tempted but I have no where to plant them. So I just have a few herbs and flowers...

We need more pictures in this thread...Get inspired!

Status
Not open for further replies.