Love your Food

Mr Muffinman

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
8 minutes ago
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. My interest is the environment. Growing my own veg but my real passion is home cooking and baking. I live in the UK, and I am in the process of setting up my own baking business from home. My hero item will be delicious, moist Vegan Muffins. I have recipes totaling at least 100; for me to be able to narrow it down a little to start with, what do all you lovely people out there think about Vegan Muffins? Maybe you have a favorite recipe. Please send a comment. all feedback is appreciated:welcome:

My favorite muffins. I use this recipe, use raw chopped walnuts, a good amount of nutmeg cause I like it, and a sprinkle of sugar instead of streusal. Fill 12 muffin tins and bake 350F (175C) for about 20-25 minutes. I use 3/4 cup of white sugar in recipe

Edit: I changed brown sugar to sugar. I did sprinkle with brown sugar in loaf form, but not muffins. Hard to sprinkle lightly enough! :rofl:

Just made some and tried

Last edited:
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
welcome to the forum and all the best with your endeavour

carrot muffins with lots of spices are definitely my favourite and it has been a long time since I had/made any

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

There's nothing wrong with vegan muffins; I've had them and liked them as much as non-vegan ones. But I don't care for muffins that much, so maybe I'm not the best person to ask. A true muffin-phile might be more particular about their muffins.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
Muffins are rarely the healthy choice. I remember some comdedian asking if muffins were just cupcakes without the frosting. And I remember one. video claiming that even donuts were a better choice.

I just realized that the recipe I posted above called for eggs. but it's a simple replacement. I actually bought a muffin pan just to make these. When I was still working these guys were great to eat in the car while driving to work. Back then most of my breakfasts were eaten with one hand on the wheel.

• Friendly
Thank you very much for your reply much appreciated and I am taking notes.

Muffins are rarely the healthy choice. I remember some comdedian asking if muffins were just cupcakes without the frosting. And I remember one. video claiming that even donuts were a better choice.

I just realized that the recipe I posted above called for eggs. but it's a simple replacement. I actually bought a muffin pan just to make these. When I was still working these guys were great to eat in the car while driving to work. Back then most of my breakfasts were eaten with one hand on the wheel.
That strikes me like the clickbait that says oatmeal, or yogurt... aren't healthy, but you click the link and they're talking instant sweetened, and yogurt loaded with sugar.
Muffins can be made oil free, moister, and can include whole grains, veggies, fruits and have date puree as sweetener.
Cupcakes really imply a cake like sweet.
There's nothing wrong with vegan muffins; I've had them and liked them as much as non-vegan ones. But I don't care for muffins that much, so maybe I'm not the best person to ask. A true muffin-phile might be more particular about their muffins.
Do you like quickbreads? I do prefer a loaf, but when I realized muffins take half the oven time I started making muffins

Do you like quickbreads? I do prefer a loaf, but when I realized muffins take half the oven time I started making muffins
Actually, I do like some quickbreads (such as date-nut bread), and I think any recipe would be easily veganizable with egg replacer. It would be a simple matter to put the batter in a muffin tin instead of a loaf pan- and they would be done baking more quickly!

Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
Actually, I do like some quickbreads (such as date-nut bread), and I think any recipe would be easily veganizable with egg replacer. It would be a simple matter to put the batter in a muffin tin instead of a loaf pan- and they would be done baking more quickly!
I've found any quick bread recipe using one or two eggs is just fine with both baking powder and baking soda/bicarb, with a Tblsp vinegar in the wet.
Pureed prunes or bananas are fine for replacing oil
Now that you said date nut bread I'm trying to think of a quickbread that got steamed, with molasses

• Informative
Reactions: Tom L.
I've found any quick bread recipe using one or two eggs is just fine with both baking powder and baking soda/bicarb, with a Tblsp vinegar in the wet.
Now that you said date nut bread I'm trying to think of a quickbread that got steamed, with molasses

I use those small apple sauce containers for oil replacement and it works great and I only have to open one and they last for a long time.

Emma JC

I use those small apple sauce containers for oil replacement and it works great and I only have to open one and they last for a long time.

Emma JC
I never would have thought of using a fruit puree or sauce to replace the oil. I have to keep saturated and trans fats to a minimum for health reasons, so I can't go overboard with margarine, but I wouldn't have worried about a modest amount of vegetable oil in the batter.

I never would have thought of using a fruit puree or sauce to replace the oil. I have to keep saturated and trans fats to a minimum for health reasons, so I can't go overboard with margarine, but I wouldn't have worried about a modest amount of vegetable oil in the batter.

thing is, those modest amounts add up and so I try to keep my modest amounts to things like aglio y olio where it makes a taste difference - why put oil into something when another whole food option will do?

imo oil is a habit and not a necessity - people have just become used to putting it into everything (encouraged by Big Oil I am sure :confused:) and I have tried very hard to break/limit that habit and it has definitely paid off for me

Emma JC

Reactions: Tom L.
I think you're right about it being kind of a habit. I generally use either canola or soybean oil, and either of these adds an almost undetectable taste, but really more of a nice mouth-feel to the food- but I do like them. Even so, I doubt I'd be missing anything I actually need if I dropped soybean oil; at least canola is rich in omega-3 fatty acids.