EU Parents not letting me be Vegan anymore

Ydobon777

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Hey everyone. I've been trying to gather help from different social media, I am desperate for help and the saving of animals !

My ( complicated ) situation is the following ;

I'm living with my ex-Plant-Based family, I can't move out because I am disabled and other personal things, I have no social life nor friends, I also don't have any money, we are in a rural area, vegan alternatives are either non-existent or poor ( only vegetarian in my grocery store ), my family refuse to be Plant-based again, we saw all the Vegan documentaries, we are poor, but my family decide to spend money on expensive animal food items every week, my dad is rejecting my need of cooking my own food and eating a Vegan meal together.

We already had conversation about food at home, my dad is a prideful French chef cook, he likes when things are done the traditional way. No matter if it's vegan or not. His meals are composed of mainly fruits before, a plate of seafood in sauce, cheese wine and bread. When it's not seafood, it's either chicken or charcuterie and French pâtés. Same for my mother. Sometimes he will make '' real '' meals, but it's usually what they eat, and they don't mind.

My mother doesn't cook, she doesn't mind eating Vegan, but she follows my dad. She is more open-minded than my father, but still doesn't side with me anymore, even tho she cried when I showed her Dominion. They know the health benefits of a Plant-Based diet but now they just choose to not care because they are living an ''" hedonistic '' lifestyle and think food is pleasure. I kindly told them we can have pleasure without murdering animals, but they disagree, telling me Vegan food was boring and not as tasty as meat, and they will never be wiling to try alternative ever again. The more I talk to them about this, the more aggressive they become, to the point of telling me to '' It's our house and our rules ''.

I feel very anxious about this situation, having no support is literally making me crazy.
I have manic episodes, and they blame my '' mood change '' on this. When I attempted being Vegan for 8 times already they keep discouraging me and begging me to eat non-vegan things, the ambiance was really not great. I don't know what to do, every time they see me trying to speak about Veganism they laugh at me saying it's another phase and that I'm also an animal abuser so '' why shouldn't they ''. They don't even let me grab some beans at the store.

I'm not even allowed to have a small treat when they spend more than 500 euros each week for their freaking expensive murder food items. Yes, when I told you it was expensive, it IS. They grab every time those overpriced fish and seafood bougie frozen bags and the freezer is FULL ( i can send a pic for proof ), this is hilarious to me.

They keep blaming the '' We want you to eat like us to keep cost cheap '' but we can't eat Vegan food that would cost us 5 times cheaper than that, I'm fuming.

PS; Note here that when I told that we are poor, we are. My family is gaining no money and choose to throw money out of the window for their food choices. We are currently surviving on their economy. And they keep telling each week how '' We are running out of money soon. '' I'm totally loosing it.
I feel like crying whenever I think about how our idea household could be, happy, cooking together like before and eating yummy plant based food. But no, my dad just loves to be the dream breaker.
I'm sorry not sorry for this rant, I feel like I needed to get that out of my chest. I hope y'all can help me find some solutions or ways to talk to them without me risking being kicked out of the house..

You are in a rough situation for sure. I'm not sure I can offer any advice, but I'm sure some of their food must be accidentally vegan. If you can at least skip the dead flesh and eat the sides/veggies, that would be a start. It sounds like you've done your best to try to make them understand your position, but if they are that stubborn, I don't see the point in talking about it further with them. Just try to do what you can.

• Informative
Reactions: Tom L. and bEt
You are in a rough situation for sure. I'm not sure I can offer any advice, but I'm sure some of their food must be accidentally vegan. If you can at least skip the dead flesh and eat the sides/veggies, that would be a start. It sounds like you've done your best to try to make them understand your position, but if they are that stubborn, I don't see the point in talking about it further with them. Just try to do what you can.
Thank you so much for your sympathy, there are days where its better than others and today was a good day I'm glad ! Now I am worried about going to see relatives next week and explaining I won't eat the meat, I feelk so anxious

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15
Thank you so much for your sympathy, there are days where its better than others and today was a good day I'm glad ! Now I am worried about going to see relatives next week and explaining I won't eat the meat, I feelk so anxious
:) Try not to stress about it. And hold your ground. You shouldn't have to eat meat if you don't want to. I'm glad today was a better day for you!

Reactions: bEt
Hey everyone. I've been trying to gather help from different social media, I am desperate for help and the saving of animals !

I'm living with my ex-Plant-Based family, I can't move out because I am disabled and other personal things, I have no social life nor friends, I also don't have any money, we are in a rural area, vegan alternatives are either non-existent or poor ( only vegetarian in my grocery store ), my family refuse to be Plant-based again, we saw all the Vegan documentaries, we are poor, but my family decide to spend money on expensive animal food items every week, my dad is rejecting my need of cooking my own food and eating a Vegan meal together.

We already had conversation about food at home, my dad is a prideful French chef cook, he likes when things are done the traditional way. No matter if it's vegan or not. His meals are composed of mainly fruits before, a plate of seafood in sauce, cheese wine and bread. When it's not seafood, it's either chicken or charcuterie and French pâtés. Same for my mother. Sometimes he will make '' real '' meals, but it's usually what they eat, and they don't mind.

My mother doesn't cook, she doesn't mind eating Vegan, but she follows my dad. She is more open-minded than my father, but still doesn't side with me anymore, even tho she cried when I showed her Dominion. They know the health benefits of a Plant-Based diet but now they just choose to not care because they are living an ''" hedonistic '' lifestyle and think food is pleasure. I kindly told them we can have pleasure without murdering animals, but they disagree, telling me Vegan food was boring and not as tasty as meat, and they will never be wiling to try alternative ever again. The more I talk to them about this, the more aggressive they become, to the point of telling me to '' It's our house and our rules ''.

I feel very anxious about this situation, having no support is literally making me crazy.
I have manic episodes, and they blame my '' mood change '' on this. When I attempted being Vegan for 8 times already they keep discouraging me and begging me to eat non-vegan things, the ambiance was really not great. I don't know what to do, every time they see me trying to speak about Veganism they laugh at me saying it's another phase and that I'm also an animal abuser so '' why shouldn't they ''. They don't even let me grab some beans at the store.

I'm not even allowed to have a small treat when they spend more than 500 euros each week for their freaking expensive murder food items. Yes, when I told you it was expensive, it IS. They grab every time those overpriced fish and seafood bougie frozen bags and the freezer is FULL ( i can send a pic for proof ), this is hilarious to me.

They keep blaming the '' We want you to eat like us to keep cost cheap '' but we can't eat Vegan food that would cost us 5 times cheaper than that, I'm fuming.

PS; Note here that when I told that we are poor, we are. My family is gaining no money and choose to throw money out of the window for their food choices. We are currently surviving on their economy. And they keep telling each week how '' We are running out of money soon. '' I'm totally loosing it.
I feel like crying whenever I think about how our idea household could be, happy, cooking together like before and eating yummy plant based food. But no, my dad just loves to be the dream breaker.
I'm sorry not sorry for this rant, I feel like I needed to get that out of my chest. I hope y'all can help me find some solutions or ways to talk to them without me risking being kicked out of the house..
Your parents don't realize they have food addiction. Food addiction gets worse as we age. It is something people must fight all their lives. Also sorry about you manic problems. I had that when I was younger.

• Friendly
Honestly it sounds extremely toxic sure you can't move out or just leave or like apply for support for disability advice from someone who knows such situations would be to leave just leave and never look back.

Hi friend,
I do understand the position you are in, and also how your parents feel. You can't blame them, it's a tough decision to give up eating meat. Let me share my story of transitioning to veganism, while I add a reason that makes me stick to it no matter what. Maybe you can use it to open the eyes of your parents in love.

I am a Vegan in West Africa, Nigeria to be precise. In my culture, not eating an animal product between meals is considered poverty. We hardly have vegan restaurants over here, because our traditional cuisines are built around the flesh pot. I was a meat lover, I craved it more than anything, never saw myself that I would become a vegan. But while I was eating meat, I noticed my health deteriorated slowly. But I couldn't stop eating meat, because I was programmed mentally to consume it .
Some few months back, I started a journey of personal enlightenment, and I found out that my digestive system wasn't made to digest meat. I questioned the finding and told myself that how would I survive if I deprived myself of the nutrients from meat. Then one-day, I was standing by the road side, when I noticed a bird fly down and started picking grains invincible to my eyes. I noticed that the bird was looking so good, beautiful feathers and sturdy frame, looking way better than I who was a meat-eater. A bird is a plant-based eater, so if such diet could do that to a bird, it sure could do the same to me.
I began my research, and what I found changed my life and reinforced my stand in plant-based diet even if it meant I lose my life.

Do you have pets? If you do, I want you to ask your parents these questions; what makes your pet different from the animals slaughtered to be eaten? If such animals could be eaten, so also your pet, now would they love to eat their pet?
Honestly, one who eats meat, is only separated by a thin line from eating human flesh. If they were not told, they would consume it in deceit because they cannot control they cravings.
I have more to share, but I want you to exercise patience as you try to educate your parents, with time and understanding, they would see the truth that springs out from a plant-based diet.

Peace & Love

Hi friend,
I do understand the position you are in, and also how your parents feel. You can't blame them, it's a tough decision to give up eating meat. Let me share my story of transitioning to veganism, while I add a reason that makes me stick to it no matter what. Maybe you can use it to open the eyes of your parents in love.

I am a Vegan in West Africa, Nigeria to be precise. In my culture, not eating an animal product between meals is considered poverty. We hardly have vegan restaurants over here, because our traditional cuisines are built around the flesh pot. I was a meat lover, I craved it more than anything, never saw myself that I would become a vegan. But while I was eating meat, I noticed my health deteriorated slowly. But I couldn't stop eating meat, because I was programmed mentally to consume it .
Some few months back, I started a journey of personal enlightenment, and I found out that my digestive system wasn't made to digest meat. I questioned the finding and told myself that how would I survive if I deprived myself of the nutrients from meat. Then one-day, I was standing by the road side, when I noticed a bird fly down and started picking grains invincible to my eyes. I noticed that the bird was looking so good, beautiful feathers and sturdy frame, looking way better than I who was a meat-eater. A bird is a plant-based eater, so if such diet could do that to a bird, it sure could do the same to me.
I began my research, and what I found changed my life and reinforced my stand in plant-based diet even if it meant I lose my life.

Do you have pets? If you do, I want you to ask your parents these questions; what makes your pet different from the animals slaughtered to be eaten? If such animals could be eaten, so also your pet, now would they love to eat their pet?
Honestly, one who eats meat, is only separated by a thin line from eating human flesh. If they were not told, they would consume it in deceit because they cannot control they cravings.
I have more to share, but I want you to exercise patience as you try to educate your parents, with time and understanding, they would see the truth that springs out from a plant-based diet.

Peace & Love
Love and peace. My pets are herbivores (rabbits) and i understand the subject of the birda eating grain and being so beautiful. Natural beauty in my opinion.

Reactions: bEt and Oluwamuyiwa
Lol, my name is Cyril, or you can call me Oluwamuyiwa. Please pardon my error, Peace and Love is my signature to all living creatures.

I am glad you have embraced herbivores pets, I could say your pets are vegan as you are, silly me. Anyway, what are their names, would love to say Hi.

Natural beauty is a start, but I am also attracted to imperfections, being comfortable in one's own skin irrespective of what societies standard of beauty is. I wish I was a bird, would love to fly away soon.

Peace & Love
Cyril

I was trying before to offer the OP advice, too, in another thread. I think they are in a difficult situation. But everyone has been trying to help with suggestions. It is definitely not an error to offer advice! I didn't mean that as a criticism; it was just something I'd noticed.

Last edited:

I would love to help - but I don’t know that I can! What I can do is try…
Maybe you could point them in the direction of this guy? Alexis Gauthier - The Michelin-Starred French Chef turned Vegan Pioneer
Also, why not point out that pleasure can come from other sources besides food?
Also, it is a good tip to try being assertive with them on this and sticking to your guns and standing your ground for the animals. Don’t give in and don’t give up. Please point out that, although it is their house, you are still a human being with human rights, with the right to not be forced to eat something you don’t want to eat. I believe force-feeding goes against legal human rights?
Also, please point out that living, sentient beings are more important than their pleasure and more important than any traditions and culture.

Hello @Ydobon777 , I wish you all the best and that you find ways to resolve your predicament.

May I ask how old you are (approximately), as this has an impact on the options you might have.

Also, which area in France are you? I tried googling „Yuno“, but got no results.

Greetings from your friend in Germany.
Andy