Newbie Health Issues on Diet

My 2¢ on vitamins.

Back in the day I donated blood every 6 weeks. They test your iron when you give blood. And I was always close to anemic. I tried a multivitamin with iron but the ones with 100% RDA made my poops turn rock hard and black.
After I transitioned to vegan I started taking the multivitamin DEVA tiny tablets. They only contain 50% RDA of iron and they seem to do the trick. They also have a version without iron that are a good option if you do want to take an iron supplement. There are also lots of foods you can increase in your diet to help get more iron.

Although the iron in plant based foods, non-heme iron, is harder to absorb you can just consume more - or take a supplement - or use a cast iron pan.

The other things you might supplement is D, Calcium, and DHA.

When I was using Chronometer reguarly I would update it after dinner. Then if I was lacking in something I would make sure that my evening snack would contain it. Most likely a peanut butter banana soy milk shake would knock everything into the green.

I read that because hair is a protein itself, it needs the amino acids from animal proteins to remain healthy and shiny,
Obviously, animal proteins are not necessary for healthy-looking hair. Otherwise every single vegan would be a terrible walking advertisements for veganism!

Proteins are built by our bodies from 21 different amino acids, out of which 9 are essential in our diet - the others can be created by the body from the essential ones. All the 9 essential amino acids can be easily sourced in sufficient quantities in a vegan diet.

Obviously, animal proteins are not necessary for healthy-looking hair. Otherwise every single vegan would be a terrible walking advertisements for veganism!

Proteins are built by our bodies from 21 different amino acids, out of which 9 are essential in our diet - the others can be created by the body from the essential ones. All the 9 essential amino acids can be easily sourced in sufficient quantities in a vegan diet.

During my transition I believed in quite a few myths.
One of them was that eggs are good for you. but I'l save that one for another day.

Another is that animal protein is better than plant protein.
a component of that myth is this whole thing with amino acids. When ever I am reading about protein if I see the words "complete protein" I stop reading. That author is 40 years out of date. Part of that myth has to do with that amino acids are present in different ratios. But food from plants contain every single of the essential amino acids. And in quantities that will sustain you.

Besides the nutrients that we have already discussed, the below article also brings up zinc. A good diet that contains enough calories from a variety of foods will usually contain enough zinc. Zinc is one of the micro nutrients that CronOmeter tracks so if there is a zinc deficiency it is easily detected. There are zinc supplements as well and most multivitamins contain some zinc. Too much zinc gives me nausea, so I like the minimal approach in the DEVA Tiny Tablets.

Thing about hair is that it's dead. Whatever it looks like when it grows out is what it stays. Factors that make it look different are external.
Your scalp is what produces oil or not.
Even though two weeks isn't enough to cause deficiencies, esp the ones you're experiencing, I would agree maybe adding one food- I guess eggs- and not changing any other thing you're doing, and keep a log. Perhaps your heart condition, or medications, may be playing a role in why you're having trouble? Many illnesses and meds can change how your body absorbs nutrients. Like how many dark greens with Vit K will interfere with blood clotting drugs.
How is your blood pressure? How much iron do the supplements contain?

Do what you need to feel and stay healthy! There are a ton of great books now that are backed by research you may be interested in
This is my list-
Whole by Colin Campbell
Idiots Guide to a Plant based Diet by Julianna Herver
Plant Powered Protein by Brenda Davis

and this youtube I listened to today

Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
Thing about hair is that it's dead. Whatever it looks like when it grows out is what it stays. Factors that make it look different are external.
Your scalp is what produces oil or not.
Even though two weeks isn't enough to cause deficiencies, esp the ones you're experiencing, I would agree maybe adding one food- I guess eggs- and not changing any other thing you're doing, and keep a log. Perhaps your heart condition, or medications, may be playing a role in why you're having trouble? Many illnesses and meds can change how your body absorbs nutrients. Like how many dark greens with Vit K will interfere with blood clotting drugs.
How is your blood pressure? How much iron do the supplements contain?

Do what you need to feel and stay healthy! There are a ton of great books now that are backed by research you may be interested in
This is my list-
Whole by Colin Campbell
Idiots Guide to a Plant based Diet by Julianna Herver
Plant Powered Protein by Brenda Davis

and this youtube I listened to today
Thanks for the book list, looks good. My hair was perfect until a week after starting the vegan diet. It’s definitely not external and has nothing to do with my heart, as my heart is actually completely healthy apart from arrhythmia caused by the device and I’m not on any medication for it at all. 1 in 4 people have a hole in their heart and don’t know about it and it didn’t cause me any issues until I had a stroke because a clot got through it. The stroke was misdiagnosed as a migraine as they said I was ‘way too healthy’ on paper for it to be that. The surgeon told me my heart was one of the best he’s seen. I had the hole closed with an Amplatzer device and that stays there for life. I had my blood pressure, thyroid, hormones, liver function and sugar levels checked last week and all are normal, bar low iron and high estrogen which I am taking 210mg ferrous fumerate (iron) for. I am super healthy other than having arrythmia in my heart which is caused by the device. As I was saying, I felt great before this diet bar some swelling (but no pain) in my lower half, which the vegan diet was really helping and I was delighted, but a week in after I started the diet everything went bad unfortunately. Felt so weak, dizzy and have visual disturbances and headaches, I look pale and my hair has gone dry and brittle. There is no other explanation other than this diet as that’s the only thing that’s changed. Yes, I am just going to do what makes me feel good for now as it’s more important that my health is good. As a single mum with a son with disabilities, I can’t afford to feel this rough. I just wanted advice on whether it was B12, low protein, calories or iron or whatever. Thanks to everyone for their advice. I’m rolling with B12 and iron and back to eggs for a bit as this seems to be working a little bit for now.

Reactions: Lou
I want to apologize if I'm coming across as an azz, it's just that your symptoms don't seem to correlate with a diet change to me, unless it's something new being added. Even the fact your swelling went down seems odd other than maybe less sodium or water 🤔
I don't mean I'm discrediting the diet being a cause,, but just keep an open mind to maybe something else. Adding old foods back with no other change should tell you.
The amino acids in plant foods are complete proteins, but maybe you're not getting certain ones? or maybe don't formulize properly?
Maybe after going back to other foods you could try a plant protein mix at breakfast?
I'm sorry you're going through this, you have enough on your plate!

I want to apologize if I'm coming across as an azz, it's just that your symptoms don't seem to correlate with a diet change to me, unless it's something new being added. Even the fact your swelling went down seems odd other than maybe less sodium or water 🤔
I don't mean I'm discrediting the diet being a cause,, but just keep an open mind to maybe something else. Adding old foods back with no other change should tell you.
The amino acids in plant foods are complete proteins, but maybe you're not getting certain ones? or maybe don't formulize properly?
Maybe after going back to other foods you could try a plant protein mix at breakfast?
I'm sorry you're going through this, you have enough on your plate!
Thank you for your considerate response and I’m grateful for any help. Yes I agree, the adding foods back in is what I was thinking too. I just know it’s the diet change and I think people are being too thrown by what sounds like very scary health issues to the average person, which I get!! I came on here to get advice on why I feel so awful due to the diet change, because I know it definitely is the diet. I was feeling and looking great before the change and one week in I feel rubbish! I get the impression some people think I’m bashing the vegan diet, like there has maybe been some defensiveness from some members, but I’m here so I can actually be on it and feel good on it! I’m just being honest that this diet has made me feel bad and I’m looking for advice on how to turn that around. Again, I’m grateful for all science-based advice and I actually think I have now worked it out that it’s the lack of B12 (it was the one thing I thought I was taking enough of but found out it’s wasn’t enough), maybe the iron too which can take some time to come back up after shocking my body so much. Thanks again xx