Newbie Health Issues on Diet

Looby Lou

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
  2. Vegan newbie
Hi everyone. I went vegan two weeks ago as I have bad water retention in my lower half of my body and it’s getting worse with my age (I’m 44). Instantly, the water retention was really improved, but I started to feel absolutely terrible on the new diet, particularly on my period where I actually can’t function at all. I have dizziness, feel weak and easily exhausted after not much exercise, my usually glass-like shiny hair has gone really dry and brittle and I look pale and ill. I am eating an avocado and slab of organic tofu for breakfast, salad bowl with another slab of tofu, veggies, humous and a sauce made from tahini and herbs and dinner is either veggie curry, veggie tacos, cauliflower steaks with salad and tahini dressing, veggie chilli and veggie stir fry. I snack twice or three times a day on fruit and nuts. I don’t tolerate beans or pulses that well so tend to avoid them and I avoid wheat and starchy products as they make my water retention worse. I had my iron levels checked and they were on the lower end but I’ve been taking iron for 2 weeks and a vegan supplement for 3 weeks and still feel subhuman. Can anyone tell me if this is a protein, calorie, iron deficiency or something else? Many thanks 🙏

#1. You should consult your doctor.

I don't have any personal experience with this but according to my female friends water retention is a common problem - and they are not vegan. They are post menopausal.

However, Water retention is sometimes a symptom of something more serious. So you should see your doctor. When you ask your doctor about this you should ask for a the standard battery of blood tests that test for nutritional deficiencies.

In the meantime I think you should join CronOmeter. Its free. There is a learning curve but after about a week it should only take you total 5 minutes a day.

It's a nutrient tracker and it does all the research and math for you. It's on the Web and also there is an app. There are paid versions but the standard version is free.

You just plug in what you eat and it does the rest. You may have an issue with the absorption of things - but knowing that you are or aren't ingesting the right amounts is a big step. You can even plug in your supplements.

Sounds like you eat a lot of the same stuff a day. So you can combine the ingredients into a "recipe". That saves a lot of time. And/or you can just use the copy and paste functions from day one to day two.

It's pretty easy. the ChronOmeter website has a great FAQ, and a search function for questions, and a forum. Or you can even send me a PM.

Also on YouTube, CronOmeter and its friends have a lot of good instrucional videos. I haven't watched any in long time but just now I took a gander. A few years back CronOmeter made some improvements which made many of the videos out of date. And they took down all their old ones. from my perusal - there are lots of new ones. I noticed a lot of them are from CronOmeter themselves, including a great list of shorts.

You don't have to use CronOmeter for the rest of your life. Just till you get things figured out and then maybe every time you make changes to your diet.

One nutrient deficiency that can cause water retention is Magnesium. I still struggle with getting adequate magnesium (and potassium). But have your doctor test for those two minerals, too. Magnesium and potassium can be toxic so I would ask your doctor before starting to supplement those as well. I started taking a small amount of magnesium a day.

The most common mistake most new vegans make is not eating enough calories. Part of the cause of this is that plant based food is much more bulky than animal derived foods. So you literally have to eat more.
Typically if you are getting enough calorie you are getting enough protein. Cronometer will be able to tell you that immediately.

Women need to make sure they are getting enough Vitamin D, calcium, and iron. And all vegans need to supplement B12. An Omega 3 supplement (Especially DHA) is also a good idea.

Oh, by the way, Welcome to The Forum.

References and further reading

Last edited:
Reactions: Emma JC
#1. You should consult your doctor.

I don't have any personal experience with this but according to my female friends water retention is a common problem - and they are not vegan. They are post menopausal.

However, Water retention is sometimes a symptom of something more serious. So you should see your doctor. When you ask your doctor about this you should ask for a the standard battery of blood tests that test for nutritional deficiencies.

In the meantime I think you should join CronOmeter. Its free. There is a learning curve but after about a week it should only take you total 5 minutes a day.

It's a nutrient tracker and it does all the research and math for you. It's on the Web and also there is an app. There are paid versions but the standard version is free.

You just plug in what you eat and it does the rest. You may have an issue with the absorption of things - but knowing that you are or aren't ingesting the right amounts is a big step. You can even plug in your supplements.

Sounds like you eat a lot of the same stuff a day. So you can combine the ingredients into a "recipe". That saves a lot of time. And/or you can just use the copy and paste functions from day one to day two.

It's pretty easy. the ChronOmeter website has a great FAQ, and a search function for questions, and a forum. Or you can even send me a PM.

Also on YouTube, CronOmeter and its friends have a lot of good instrucional videos. I haven't watched any in long time but just now I took a gander. A few years back CronOmeter made some improvements which made many of the videos out of date. And they took down all their old ones. from my perusal - there are lots of new ones. I noticed a lot of them are from CronOmeter themselves, including a great list of shorts.

You don't have to use CronOmeter for the rest of your life. Just till you get things figured out and then maybe every time you make changes to your diet.

One nutrient deficiency that can cause water retention is Magnesium. I still struggle with getting adequate magnesium (and potassium). But have your doctor test for those two minerals, too. Magnesium and potassium can be toxic so I would ask your doctor before starting to supplement those as well. I started taking a small amount of magnesium a day.

The most common mistake most new vegans make is not eating enough calories. Part of the cause of this is that plant based food is much more bulky than animal derived foods. So you literally have to eat more.
Typically if you are getting enough calorie you are getting enough protein. Cronometer will be able to tell you that immediately.

Women need to make sure they are getting enough Vitamin D, calcium, and iron. And all vegans need to supplement B12. An Omega 3 supplement (Especially DHA) is also a good idea.

Oh, by the way, Welcome to The Forum.

References and further reading

Hi thanks for the reply. I have already spoken to my doctor and did get loads of blood tests. The only thing that came back was high estrogen and slightly low iron which I have been taking derive daily. I also have told them about the water retention. I had a heart operation due to hole in the heart I’d had since birth which was closed 9 months ago and the water retention became worse then (but always had it since a teenager), but I’m healthy other than heart arrhythmia (she says casually). I had a heart echo done and everything was fine so it’s the device I had put in that’s causing the arrhythmia and maybe the water retention worsening but we don’t know yet. What makes me think it’s perimenopausal is that the vegan diet helps the water retention. I had the most amount of energy I’d ever had after I healed from my heart op and was eating eggs every day and meat twice a week. I only started feeling awful after I started the vegan diet. It’s clearly that which is causing the issues. I already downloaded the app and it says I’m eating enough calories. I reckon it must be either B12 (though I’m taking supplements everyday so not sure if it’s that), low iron (though I’m also taking iron) or not
enough protein. I won’t last if I feel this horrendous and have already had eggs three times this week to try and feel better. It’s a shame as it really helped my swollen lower half. It was the only thing that’s worked for me. I also wanted to do better for animals as an animal lover 💔😢

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
While any change in adding/eliminating foods will start changes in your gut bacteria, no diet change will cause any deficiencies in two weeks-or even a month.
The dizziness, feel weak and easily exhausted after not much exercise you describe sound like you're not eating enough calories. You're getting enough fats, and overall your diet seems fine as described, without knowing specifics.

You do need to consult with your doctor, esp with your history. Slightly low iron shouldn't need supplements, as they can cause problems themselvves. Mine was lower as a meat eater, and was raised when I ate dark greens with vitamin C, keep coffee and tea away from those meals, cooked in cast iron. B12--if you feel you should be tested be sure it's an MMA test.

Correlation isn't causation

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
While any change in adding/eliminating foods will start changes in your gut bacteria, no diet change will cause any deficiencies in two weeks-or even a month.
The dizziness, feel weak and easily exhausted after not much exercise you describe sound like you're not eating enough calories. You're getting enough fats, and overall your diet seems fine as described, without knowing specifics.

You do need to consult with your doctor, esp with your history. Slightly low iron shouldn't need supplements, as they can cause problems themselvves. Mine was lower as a meat eater, and was raised when I ate dark greens with vitamin C, keep coffee and tea away from those meals, cooked in cast iron. B12--if you feel you should be tested be sure it's an MMA test.

Correlation isn't causation

Thank you. I’m taking iron and a vegan supplement (wellwoman Vegan) daily and have been for two weeks with iron and supplements for 3 weeks. I also input my daily calories into that app that this site seems to be sponsored by and it was about 1550 per day but maybe more when I eat more nuts. I just wondered why my hair has also gone totally dry and brittle after starting this diet as well as the fatigue? Is that also lack of calories as well? Could it be B12 deficiency? It honestly feels like either chronic low iron or B12 but I’m taking both of them in large amounts so I’m baffled. What supplements fo you take? Thanks 🙏

So just to clarify....
You are already doing CronOmeter? and everything checks out OK?

Let's take another look at B12.
CronOmeter and the labels can mislead you in dosages.
The problem is that we can only absorb about a third of the RDA of B12 at a time. After that first amount is absorbed the absorption level falls from like 30% to 1%. So CronOmeter might report that you are taking 100% of the RDA but you might only be absorbing 31%
One solution might be to take a smaller dosage 3 or 4 times a day.
or you can take a massive dose less often.

I take 1000 mcg a day

For adults under age 65, the easiest way to get B12 is to take at least one 2,000 mcg supplement each week or a daily dose of 50 mcg. Note that these doses are specific to cyanocobalamin, the preferred supplemental form of vitamin B12, as there is insufficient evidence to support the efficacy of the other forms, like methylcobalamin.​
As we age, our ability to absorb vitamin B12 may decline. For those over 65, the supplementation should probably be increased up to 1,000 mcg of cyanocobalamin each day.​

Thank you. I’m taking iron and a vegan supplement (wellwoman Vegan) daily and have been for two weeks with iron and supplements for 3 weeks. I also input my daily calories into that app that this site seems to be sponsored by and it was about 1550 per day but maybe more when I eat more nuts. I just wondered why my hair has also gone totally dry and brittle after starting this diet as well as the fatigue? Is that also lack of calories as well? Could it be B12 deficiency? It honestly feels like either chronic low iron or B12 but I’m taking both of them in large amounts so I’m baffled. What supplements fo you take? Thanks 🙏
Again, two weeks of any diet change, even a water fast, won't cause vitamin deficiencies unless you were already almost there.
Hair and skin are apt to go through changes in diet. I didn't experience any myself, but it is a common question. More of a shock than than anything.
This could help explain why so many feel bad when transitioning. How much of a transition was this for you?

and B12-

I take a liquid, about 1000 mcg three times a week. Vit D (because I'm known to be deficient-best get that tested), and an algae DHA/EPA, about 250mg daily

I recommend all of Dr Gregers work, as he is very transparent about his research, as well as this Registared Dietician book-

Reactions: Lou
Again, two weeks of any diet change, even a water fast, won't cause vitamin deficiencies unless you were already almost there.
Hair and skin are apt to go through changes in diet. I didn't experience any myself, but it is a common question. More of a shock than than anything.
This could help explain why so many feel bad when transitioning. How much of a transition was this for you?

and B12-

I take a liquid, about 1000 mcg three times a week. Vit D (because I'm known to be deficient-best get that tested), and an algae DHA/EPA, about 250mg daily

I recommend all of Dr Gregers work, as he is very transparent about his research, as well as this Registared Dietician book-
Thank you. I just ordered some more B12. I didn’t do any transition at all. I just went all in. Is this a mistake? I didn’t know I had to do this. I guess it must have shocked my poor system. I felt great before the diet and my skin was glowing and hair was like glass and shiny. I got compliments all the time about it but now I look and feel like death! I maybe just need to go plant based rather than full vegan which is really annoying as I’d rather be all in. My health is more important though, so I will see what I feel like with the B12 and then I think I’ll just have to start eating animal protein again if that doesn’t work. Cheers for the help. X

Thank you. I just ordered some more B12. I didn’t do any transition at all. I just went all in. Is this a mistake? I didn’t know I had to do this. I guess it must have shocked my poor system. I felt great before the diet and my skin was glowing and hair was like glass and shiny. I got compliments all the time about it but now I look and feel like death! I maybe just need to go plant based rather than full vegan which is really annoying as I’d rather be all in. My health is more important though, so I will see what I feel like with the B12 and then I think I’ll just have to start eating animal protein again if that doesn’t work. Cheers for the help. X
I meant how much different is your diet now than what you had been eating. Some people change overnight, others slowly remove and add foods. How much different is your eating now other than quitting the animal products? Are calories similar? Have you added foods you weren't used to? Or quit things like caffiene?
If you're adding foods you weren't used to eating,, such as cruciferous veggies, higher fiber, more whole grains, or processed faux meats, you're apt to experience digestive upset. I grew up eating beans and meat subs along with regular omni foods so I didn't really have any issues.

Not sure what you mean by plant based rather than full vegan as the only difference is vegan is more than just diet,, while plant based is solely focused on diet.

Really doesn't sound like diet in only two weeks as it doesn't sound digestive related, which could be expected

I meant how much different is your diet now than what you had been eating. Some people change overnight, others slowly remove and add foods. How much different is your eating now other than quitting the animal products? Are calories similar? Have you added foods you weren't used to? Or quit things like caffiene?
If you're adding foods you weren't used to eating,, such as cruciferous veggies, higher fiber, more whole grains, or processed faux meats, you're apt to experience digestive upset. I grew up eating beans and meat subs along with regular omni foods so I didn't really have any issues.

Not sure what you mean by plant based rather than full vegan as the only difference is vegan is more than just diet,, while plant based is solely focused on diet.

Really doesn't sound like diet in only two weeks as it doesn't sound digestive related, which could be expected
It most definitely is just the diet because I was feeling great and then bam! As soon as I changed to vegan, all the issues started. I haven’t dramatically changed my diet really, as I mentioned I ate eggs every day and I ate meat twice a week and the rest was veggies and plant-based milk. I didn’t eat grains and still don’t due to my swollen legs as that makes it worse. The biggest difference is probably the eggs because they contain a ton of nutrients, fats and B12. If I start eating then I might get the swollen legs back but I’ll see what happens. A plant-based diet is mainly vegan, but with occasional animal produce if you can’t handle not having the animal products or your body needs the extra nutrients. The main thing is I need to get to the point I’m not feeling like I want to collapse, especially given my health history lately. It’s most definitely the diet, so I am going to take your advice and do the transition as opposed to going all in because it was too much of a shock to my body. Thanks

It most definitely is just the diet because I was feeling great and then bam! A week after I changed to vegan, all the issues started. I haven’t dramatically changed my diet really, as I mentioned I ate eggs every day and I ate meat twice a week and the rest was veggies and plant-based milk. I didn’t eat grains and still don’t due to my swollen legs as that makes it worse. The biggest difference is probably the eggs because they contain a ton of nutrients, fats and B12. If I start eating then I might get the swollen legs back but I’ll see what happens. A plant-based diet is mainly vegan, but with occasional animal produce if you can’t handle not having the animal products or your body needs the extra nutrients. The main thing is I need to get to the point I’m not feeling like I want to collapse, especially given my health history lately. It’s most definitely the diet, so I am going to take your advice and do the transition as opposed to going all in because it was too much of a shock to my body. Thanks
Actually I

I had the most amount of energy I’d ever had after I healed from my heart op and was eating eggs every day and meat twice a week. I only started feeling awful after I started the vegan diet. It’s clearly that which is causing the issues. I already downloaded the app and it says I’m eating enough calories. I reckon it must be either B12 (though I’m taking supplements everyday so not sure if it’s that), low iron (though I’m also taking iron) or not
enough protein. I won’t last if I feel this horrendous and have already had eggs three times this week to try and feel better. It’s a shame as it really helped my swollen lower half. It was the only thing that’s worked for me. I also wanted to do better for animals as an animal lover 💔😢

It looks like you're in the best of hands as you have seen your GP and have undergone all the necessary tests. 👍

Very often people who go vegan overnight do not eat enough protein for various reasons. Your meals don't seem to contain enough (what is a slab of tofu?)
of the latter. As you cannot tolerate pulses have you tried products containing pea protein/Quorn/nuts/seitan/. The latter doesn't contain many carbs and is high in protein.
It's very often a question of trial and error as people have different requirements and tastes. I also don't do too well on a high carb vegan diet and need to add protein with virtually every meal.

If you feel better after having consumed meat and eggs, it may suggest that you are not getting enough protein hence the dizziness and fatigue. Also, make sure that your iron levels are normal as women very often suffer with anemia.

Don't give up as your journey towards veganism as it may be a slow one. Your health is essential and it's necessary to follow your GP's advice.

Members on this forum can offer you support, share their own experiences and answer your queries concerning food etc but cannot give you any medical advice.

The Vegan Society has some very useful tips for newbies:

Reactions: PTree15
It looks like you're in the best of hands as you have seen your GP and have undergone all the necessary tests. 👍

Very often people who go vegan overnight do not eat enough protein for various reasons. Your meals don't seem to contain enough (what is a slab of tofu?)
of the latter. As you cannot tolerate pulses have you tried products containing pea protein/Quorn/nuts/seitan/. The latter doesn't contain many carbs and is high in protein.
It's very often a question of trial and error as people have different requirements and tastes. I also don't do too well on a high carb vegan diet and need to add protein with virtually every meal.

If you feel better after having consumed meat and eggs, it may suggest that you are not getting enough protein hence the dizziness and fatigue. Also, make sure that your iron levels are normal as women very often suffer with anemia.

Don't give up as your journey towards veganism as it may be a slow one. Your health is essential and it's necessary to follow your GP's advice.

Members on this forum can offer you support, share their own experiences and answer your queries concerning food etc but cannot give you any medical advice.

The Vegan Society has some very useful tips for newbies:

Thanks for your kind reply. I really want to try my best and as you say it’s trial and error. Haha! A ‘slab of tofu’ is about 100g and I eat that twice a day on average so I read that’s actually enough protein as I also have nuts and soya milk too, some beans though I don’t tolerate them well. Would you say I need more protein than that? I like your idea for the pea protein and I have tried that in the past. I think given all this helpful info from the collective that it could be B12 and iron deficiency. I had a B12 deficiency once and it felt like this. Low iron also feels like this. I used to only take iron on prescription when I had my heavy period and that was fine, but as I had my iron levels checked recently and they were low, I am taking iron daily now and have been for the past two weeks, which is 210mg of ferrous fumerate. I was low on iron before this diet, so yes it could be a combination, as iron takes ages to start fully absorbing into the body. I’m going to bring back organic eggs only for now and supplement with B12, iron, Iodine vit D etc. and then I will reduce the eggs gradually and see what happens. I’ll also up my calorie intake as it’s about 1500-1600 per day according to the app, so maybe 100 more calories a day might help too. Thanks again xx

• Love
Reactions: shyvas
Thanks for your kind reply. I really want to try my best and as you say it’s trial and error. Haha! A ‘slab of tofu’ is about 100g and I eat that twice a day on average so I read that’s actually enough protein as I also have nuts and soya milk too, some beans though I don’t tolerate them well. Would you say I need more protein than that? I like your idea for the pea protein and I have tried that in the past. I think given all this helpful info from the collective that it could be B12 and iron deficiency. I had a B12 deficiency once and it felt like this. Low iron also feels like this. I used to only take iron on prescription when I had my heavy period and that was fine, but as I had my iron levels checked recently and they were low, I am taking iron daily now and have been for the past two weeks, which is 210mg of ferrous fumerate. I was low on iron before this diet, so yes it could be a combination, as iron takes ages to start fully absorbing into the body. I’m going to bring back organic eggs only for now and supplement with B12, iron, Iodine vit D etc. and then I will reduce the eggs gradually and see what happens. I’ll also up my calorie intake as it’s about 1500-1600 per day according to the app, so maybe 100 more calories a day might help too. Thanks again xx

Have you tried red lentils as they are far more digest compared to other pulses?
100 g of tofu should make a substantial meal. Make sure that you cook it in different ways as you'll get tofu fatigue! :D
Make sure that you're eating food containing Vit C when absorbing iron. Yes, it does take weeks for iron levels to go up.
Adding some eggs whilst transitioning may prove helpful. If you find that going at a slower pace is healthier, so be it. Everyone's journey
is different.
Yes, perhaps you do need more calories as 1500 is very little. How about trying a vegan protein fruit/veg/nut smoothie as a mid afternoon snack?
Make sure that your are consuming some oil; i.e. virgin olive or rapeseed with your salads and vegetables.
Keep it simple and experiment with various dishes/food with your set goal in mind.

Have you tried red lentils as they are far more digest compared to other pulses?
100 g of tofu should make a substantial meal. Make sure that you cook it in different ways as you'll get tofu fatigue! :D
Make sure that you're eating food containing Vit C when absorbing iron. Yes, it does take weeks for iron levels to go up.
Adding some eggs whilst transitioning may prove helpful. If you find that going at a slower pace is healthier, so be it. Everyone's journey
is different.
Yes, perhaps you do need more calories as 1500 is very little. How about trying a vegan protein fruit/veg/nut smoothie as a mid afternoon snack?
Make sure that your are consuming some oil; i.e. virgin olive or rapeseed with your salads and vegetables.
Keep it simple and experiment with various dishes/food with your set goal in mind.
Great idea for the smoothie! I have IBS (to add to my growing list of health issues -stroke/hole in heart/heavy period/high estrogen/swollen lower body half!) my guts really don’t like pulses so I avoid them and grains which is really restrictive I know. My body seems to love tofu and it’s great for my digestion. I’ve been eating it daily for about 20 years. I lived in Japan and they have so much more choice there. I do get bored of it sometimes, so any suggestions for changing it up are great. I use spices and bake it or fry it sometimes but again I’m sensitive to spice due to IBS so I try to keep it simple. I’ve been following some online recipe channels on Instagram like Bunchuk which look amazing. I wish I could tolerate pulses more as this would make my life so much easier. Thanks and I’ll try the smoothie xx

Great idea for the smoothie! I have IBS (to add to my growing list of health issues -stroke/hole in heart/heavy period/high estrogen/swollen lower body half!) my guts really don’t like pulses so I avoid them and grains which is really restrictive I know. My body seems to love tofu and it’s great for my digestion. I’ve been eating it daily for about 20 years. I lived in Japan and they have so much more choice there. I do get bored of it sometimes, so any suggestions for changing it up are great. I use spices and bake it or fry it sometimes but again I’m sensitive to spice due to IBS so I try to keep it simple. I’ve been following some online recipe channels on Instagram like Bunchuk which look amazing. I wish I could tolerate pulses more as this would make my life so much easier. Thanks and I’ll try the smoothie xx

Try adding a very small amount of red lentils when making soup or cottage pie. See whether you tolerate them and add more if you do.
I'm not a huge fan of tofu but still eat it for the protein content. I often add it to vegetable soup before liquidising it and I also
make a courgette or leek tofu bake which is delicious. I usually serve it at either room temperature or slightly chilled with salads using grains/veg etc.
Spices don't have to be piquant. There are many out there that do not upset your tummy. Once again, it's trial and error! :cool:
Try grains such as buckwheat and spelt as they contain little gluten.
Protein smoothies are great when you need that extra protein and calories.
There are quite a few simple recipes in the given section:

Reactions: Second Summer
Try adding a very small amount of red lentils when making soup or cottage pie. See whether you tolerate them and add more if you do.
I'm not a huge fan of tofu but still eat it for the protein content. I often add it to vegetable soup before liquidising it and I also
make a courgette or leek tofu bake which is delicious. I usually serve it at either room temperature or slightly chilled with salads using grains/veg etc.
Spices don't have to be piquant. There are many out there that do not upset your tummy. Once again, it's trial and error! :cool:
Try grains such as buckwheat and spelt as they contain little gluten.
Protein smoothies are great when you need that extra protein and calories.
There are quite a few simple recipes in the given section:

Oh wonderful thank you! They sounds great! I never thought of whizzing tofu up in a soup as thought it would curdle but that’s a great shout, thank you so much x x

• Friendly
Reactions: shyvas
Slightly low iron shouldn't need supplements, as they can cause problems themselvves.
Indeed, iron supplements are hard on the stomach. But in some cases it is the only way, except for iron infusions.
I am taking iron daily now and have been for the past two weeks, which is 210mg of ferrous fumerate. I was low on iron before this diet, so yes it could be a combination, as iron takes ages to start fully absorbing into the body.
That is also true, it can take a long time to correct an iron deficiency. And yes, perhaps you are feeling unwell in part because you are low on iron, and in part because you are taking iron supplements. And IBS on top of everything. Sounds like a real pickle.

I just wondered why my hair has also gone totally dry and brittle after starting this diet as well as the fatigue?
I believe suboptimal protein intake is often a suspected cause for this. You probably don't have an actual protein deficiency, as you are getting some protein - an adequate amount according to your app? But I believe there is a difference between deficiency and suboptimal intake. More protein might help your hair and skin. So it may be worth trying some pea protein in smoothies etc. like shyvas suggested, in addition to the protein sources you already have. (Disclaimer: I'm not a medical doctor, I'm just going by what I have read.)

Indeed, iron supplements are hard on the stomach. But in some cases it is the only way, except for iron infusions.

That is also true, it can take a long time to correct an iron deficiency. And yes, perhaps you are feeling unwell in part because you are low on iron, and in part because you are taking iron supplements. And IBS on top of everything. Sounds like a real pickle.

Iron supplements are essential for someone like me who has heavy periods. They’re a literal life saver and yes they’re heavy on the stomach for some, but I’ve been fine on them and feel so much better with taking them. If I didn’t I’d d!e with chronic anaemia. It could be that the protein is low and causing the hair dryness, yes. I read that because hair is a protein itself, it needs the amino acids from animal proteins to remain healthy and shiny, but as I’ve stopped all animal protein it perhaps has gone that way. I have to say I’d rather fix the swollen legs issues and have slightly dryer hair than the other way around but it’s a shame to have to compromise. I think I just need to get myself feeling less awful and then gradually transition more slowly. I also realised I think it is actually the B12 at play more than anything, as I realised the Wellwoman Vegan supplements don’t have anywhere near enough of the B12 needed and have barely enough of other vitamins, so I ate eggs two days in a row and took some better B12 and feel a bit more human today. I’ll top up the B12, get more protein and keep going with the iron (and a great suggestion of more vit C from one person to help absorption). I’m going back to organic eggs till I feel better and once my levels of supplements are all up, I’ll gradually phase them out and see what happens. Thanks all for your help, much appreciated xx