T2 Diabetic sugar peaks-Help please!

TMR

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
T2 Diabetic sugar peaks after breakfast - help please!

I am 57, slightly underweight for my height, and have a very low cholesterol level.

I had type 2 diabetes (T2D) diagnosed back before the pandemic. Since then I have been following my doctor's advice, following a low-carb diet with lots of dairy, meat, fish, etc. However, while the sugar levels weren't bad, I was hungry all the time and generally didn't feel very well, with lots of digestive issues.

After reading a lot and watching videos on YouTube about the possibilities of a plant-based low fat diet for reversing diabetes I made the plunge after the xmas holidays, and here I am...

I am in my third week now and am not yet seeing any great changes in the blood sugar levels, although I have lost weight and my digestive issues have gone away, in a word I feel better.

However, the problem I have is trying to find a breakfast that doesn't cause a huge sugar spike. All of the online recommendations (like oats boiled in water, wholemeal toast with marmite, fruit) cause large spikes and I don't know what to eat. I don't have time to cook vegetables and tofu, or beans. I guess I could have less bread and put an avocado on it, or eat nuts, but I am trying to keep fat levels down.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, has anyone been in a similar situation and actually managed to reverse their T2D on a low fat plant-based diet? Does this approach actually work? If so, how long does it take to see results?

Thanks in advance

Reactions: bEt
However, the problem I have is trying to find a breakfast that doesn't cause a huge sugar spike.
I don't have diabetes.

it doesn't happen to me anymore and it never happed that much but I too had some sugar crashes after breakfast. I think it was from including too much fruit and/or wheat in my breakfast.

Try some of the oatmeal breakfasts in our Everything Oatmeal thread. If you are in a rush in the morning you can make a 2 - 4 portions of Overnight Oats on the weekend and keep them in the rig. I like to use soy milk instead of water in oatmeal for a little extra protein. The fiber in the oatmeal slows down the digestion and absorption speed of the fruit. I like to add a Tbsp of ground flaxseed for a little more boost in protein and fiber. if you don't want to make the time to sit down for breakfast try making oatmeal muffins.

Another one of my favorites is a "breakfast burrito ". You can make a dozen of these on the weekend and freeze them. You can nuke one while getting dressed. I used to eat one on the way to work.There are a lot of good recipes for these and if you need one - just ask. The main ingredients are black beans and brown rice. and there are lots of variations.

Reactions: Raven and TMR
Reactions: Raven, TMR and bEt
Many thanks Lou. I'll give the burrito a go. I have already tried the oatmeal, which I adore, but it spikes my sugar.

Regards

Hi TMR,

The American Diabetes Association fully accommodates plant-based diets: Eating Well | ADA

Very small beans, like lentils, are quick to cook (about 30 minutes on the stove). A large pot of hearty lentils-and-barley soup can be prepared, and kept in the refrigerator.

Because you are managing a potentially life-threatening conditioning, it might be prudent to plan your meals with the help of a Registered Dietitian. You can find a local RD through the website of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (the world's largest association of Registered Dietitians): Find a Nutrition Expert . RD's will work with you and your physician to plan meals that are delicious and effective for T2D management.

Reactions: TMR, Lou and bEt
. I guess I could have less bread and put an avocado on it, or eat nuts, but I am trying to keep fat levels down.
Why are you trying to keep fat levels down?

When you have oatmeal, do you add anything to it?

I don't know if you would have time to make something like this and freeze it for busy mornings, to fill with some marinated and braised tempeh, also made ahead, and also some sautéed onion if you like it for flavor and even more fiber? Some nutrional yeast too maybe? That would be a very umami-type breakfast.

This one calls for yogurt-- you could just use soy yogurt or even soy milk with a drop of vinegar added, maybe even pureed tofu with a drop of vinegar added could substitute?

Natto is a popular breakfast in Japan, but most people don't like it.

Last edited:
Reactions: TMR and Lou
Hi TMR,

bEt brings up a good point. The American Diabetes Association doesn't recommend avoiding fatty foods. Rather, it recommends avoiding foods that are high in saturated fat. The ADA encourages people to include fats that are rich in monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats (like avocados, and certain nuts/seeds): Fats | ADA

Reactions: bEt, TMR and Lou
I think it's all around good general rule of thumb to minimize fats. Most of us get more than enough fat in our diet.

But still avocados and nuts should be included - with moderation.

Also Bernard, Esselstyn, and Gregor have written extensively on managing diabetes with a WFPB diet. I haven't looked into it because I don't have diabetes but I believe their diet plans are low in fat.

Reactions: vesper818 and bEt
Hi TMR,

bEt brings up a good point. The American Diabetes Association doesn't recommend avoiding fatty foods. Rather, it recommends avoiding foods that are high in saturated fat. The ADA encourages people to include fats that are rich in monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats (like avocados, and certain nuts/seeds): Fats | ADA

The main cause of Type 2 diabetes is the muscle cells have too much fat in them and that blocks the insulin receptors from working properly and turning the carbs/starches/sugars into glucose, therefore those sugars stay in the blood causing high blood sugars.

When I make oatmeal either regular rolled oats in the microwave or steel cut oats on the stove I include soy curl crumbs or split red lentils. This increases my satiety and keeps a balance of protein/starch. Then I add my berries, banana etc. I also include some peanut butter powder and some dark cocoa powder in my rolled oats along with turmeric/pepper, ground flax and hemp hearts.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Informative
Reactions: Tom L., bEt and Lou
Hi TMR,

The American Diabetes Association fully accommodates plant-based diets: Eating Well | ADA

Very small beans, like lentils, are quick to cook (about 30 minutes on the stove). A large pot of hearty lentils-and-barley soup can be prepared, and kept in the refrigerator.

Because you are managing a potentially life-threatening conditioning, it might be prudent to plan your meals with the help of a Registered Dietitian. You can find a local RD through the website of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (the world's largest association of Registered Dietitians): Find a Nutrition Expert . RD's will work with you and your physician to plan meals that are delicious and effective for T2D management.
Thanks David. I live in Spain so the Find a Nutrition page doesn't work, but I will search locally. I'll try the soup, it sounds good.

Reactions: Emma JC and bEt
I am following the advice of Dr. Neal Barnard, as silva highlights. According to his research it is the fat that blocks the cells and limits insulin sensitivity. The solution to which is what he calls a "plant-based low fat" diet.

Believe me, I adore fat, avocados, nuts, olives, oils, etc., and find it really hard to keep away from them, but am following the doctor's advice.
When you have oatmeal, do you add anything to it?
Just tap water, then two minutes in the microwave. Maybe a splash of oat milk for a creamier taste. Sometimes I really push the boat out and add some blueberries. Whichever way I eat it my blood sugar spikes. A real shame, I really miss it! I could eat it every meal otherwise.
I don't know if you would have time to make something like this and freeze it for busy mornings, to fill with some marinated and braised tempeh, also made ahead, and also some sautéed onion if you like it for flavor and even more fiber? Some nutrional yeast too maybe? That would be a very umami-type breakfast.

This one calls for yogurt-- you could just use soy yogurt or even soy milk with a drop of vinegar added, maybe even pureed tofu with a drop of vinegar added could substitute?

Natto is a popular breakfast in Japan, but most people don't like it.
Thanks for the recipes. I can't wait to try them out. I couldn't do them on a daily basis but could in advance and then warm them up.

The main cause of Type 2 diabetes is the muscle cells have too much fat in them and that blocks the insulin receptors from working properly and turning the carbs/starches/sugars into glucose, therefore those sugars stay in the blood causing high blood sugars.
Yes, that is what I believe as well.
When I make oatmeal either regular rolled oats in the microwave or steel cut oats on the stove I include soy curl crumbs or split red lentils.
Wow, that is a really great idea. I will definitely try this. Thanks! How much of these do you add, 10%?, more?
This increases my satiety and keeps a balance of protein/starch. Then I add my berries, banana etc.
I am amazed about the banana, isn't that huge amounts of sugar?
I also include some peanut butter powder and some dark cocoa powder in my rolled oats along with turmeric/pepper, ground flax and hemp hearts.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com
I used to adore peanut butter, but surely that can't be eaten on a low-fat vegan diet, as per Dr. Barnard.

These are two of my trusted sources
Thanks silva. I came across his videos on YouTube and then bought a couple of his books. Makes a lot of sense, arguments well based in the data. Maybe I just need more time, the blood sugar levels are not coming down much following his diet after a few weeks.

I think it's all around good general rule of thumb to minimize fats. Most of us get more than enough fat in our diet.

But still avocados and nuts should be included - with moderation.
I wish...
Also Bernard, Esselstyn, and Gregor have written extensively on managing diabetes with a WFPB diet. I haven't looked into it because I don't have diabetes but I believe their diet plans are low in fat.
Thanks, I'll look into their work.

I wish...

You wish that you could eat less fats or more?
Most of the vegan diet experts recommend a hand full of nuts every day. Good source of Omega 3.

Thanks, I'll look into their work.

You should check out the local library and book store for

How Not to Die by Greger. It has a chapter on Diabetes.
Also Greger's organization Nutrition Facts has a few good articles and videos you can check out.

Neal Barnard's books, Reversing Diabetes and Mastering Diabetes.
His organization is PCRM

I thought Esselstyn had a book about diabetes. But I must have mis-remembered.
ButDr. Fuhrman has a book called Ending Diabetes. Fuhrman is another respected vegan M.D.

but there are literally dozens of plant based Diabetes books out there - quite a few cookbooks, too.

Oh, and at the end of your first post you asked for personal success stories. How about this guy, Eric Adams.

Eric Adams has a book too. Healthy At Last.

Reactions: TMR and bEt
T2 Diabetic sugar peaks after breakfast - help please!

I am 57, slightly underweight for my height, and have a very low cholesterol level.

I had type 2 diabetes (T2D) diagnosed back before the pandemic. Since then I have been following my doctor's advice, following a low-carb diet with lots of dairy, meat, fish, etc. However, while the sugar levels weren't bad, I was hungry all the time and generally didn't feel very well, with lots of digestive issues.

After reading a lot and watching videos on YouTube about the possibilities of a plant-based low fat diet for reversing diabetes I made the plunge after the xmas holidays, and here I am...

I am in my third week now and am not yet seeing any great changes in the blood sugar levels, although I have lost weight and my digestive issues have gone away, in a word I feel better.

However, the problem I have is trying to find a breakfast that doesn't cause a huge sugar spike. All of the online recommendations (like oats boiled in water, wholemeal toast with marmite, fruit) cause large spikes and I don't know what to eat. I don't have time to cook vegetables and tofu, or beans. I guess I could have less bread and put an avocado on it, or eat nuts, but I am trying to keep fat levels down.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, has anyone been in a similar situation and actually managed to reverse their T2D on a low fat plant-based diet? Does this approach actually work? If so, how long does it take to see results?

Thanks in advance

The question is why you feel that you have to eat the traditional breakfast foods in the morning?

In Chicago, there was a doctor that did all the health reports for one of the news stations. She lost 150 pounds by having a large salad for breakfast. There is no reason we have to eat oatmeal, cereal, or toast for breakfast.

I don't have any problem eating the leftovers from the night before, or having a salad or soup.

If oatmeal spikes your glucose in the morning, have a salad or a bowl of soup.

You don't have to restrict yourself to traditional breakfast foods.

You can get the Mastering Diabetes book from the library. These guys are pretty good.

Last edited:
The question is why you feel that you have to eat the traditional breakfast foods in the morning?

In Chicago, there was a doctor that did all the health reports for one of the news stations. She lost 150 pounds by having a large salad for breakfast. There is no reason we have to eat oatmeal, cereal, or toast for breakfast.

I don't have any problem eating the leftovers from the night before, or having a salad or soup.

If oatmeal spikes your glucose in the morning, have a salad or a bowl of soup.

You don't have to restrict yourself to traditional breakfast foods.

You can get the Mastering Diabetes book from the library. These guys are pretty good.

It is interesting the different types of food people like in the mornings. I can't tolerate any food for hours after waking up, and even then I only feel good with whole grains and fruits. Even protein things like peanut butter or beans feel 'heavy'.
I am good with soups, but just the thought of eating raw veg in the morning makes me heave!

Reactions: TMR and bEt
I feel compelled to argue about the fats issue, because low fat isn't the same as no fat, and I really believe that everyone's body is different: what works great for me (or you) may not work for lots of other people. And what works for me today may not work next year or even next week, because conditions change and people change. If you really like the oatmeal, adding the soy curls could make a difference for your blood sugar issue. You could also try adding a measured amount of seeds like chia, pumpkin seeds, sunflower. I tried an oatmeal once that had chia seeds mixed in, so that you cooked them with the oatmeal.

I believe I've heard that exercise, even light exercise, plays a role in blood sugar health. Is that something you've talked to your doctors/medical team about?

Also here is a link to some tempeh recipes, at least some of which could probably be made ahead and frozen for a quick breakfast add-in:

If those don't appeal, a search may reveal other options.

You know, looking back, I feel like my blood sugar swings (entirely subjective, just how I 'feel', because just about everyone in my immediate biological family has some subclinical issue with this--the a1c I just got back was fine, so I don't have real diabetes), improved some after I started getting omga 3's from a vegan algal oil supplement and also made it a point to eat more seaweed, which also supplies some EPA. But I was changing other things around that time, too, so I can't say it was that specifically.
This link is about fish oil--it was the first thing that showed up with a search about blood sugar and EPA/DHA, but I don't see why it wouldn't apply equally to the vegan supplements, and there are a lot of companies offering them now.

Reactions: TMR
There are many easy savoury breakfast recipes you can make that will prevent sugar spikes. I also steer clear of carb
breakfasts as I have a slight intolerance to high carb meals, especially in the morning and mid afternoon. I like to have smoked
tempeh with mashed avocado on multiseed artisan ww toast. Adding fat and protein sort of cancels out the carbs.

Tofu bake (sort of muffins) with vegetables are also one of my favourite breakfasts.

These are my ideal sort of meals but depending on where I am and what food is available. I usually end up eating toast (multi seed, ww) with spread and Marmite. When avocados are on so, I will often have them mashed with a slice of vacon. These kind of savoury meals never give me the jitters and I can go without having a mid morning snack.

I sometimes have a bowl of porridge made with pinhead oats. Despite adding seeds and or pb, I still get hunger pangs after 2 hours of having eaten them. I absolutely cannot tolerate instant oat flakes and feel hungry after about 1h 30.

Reactions: bEt and TMR