What's in Your Garden? (2013 edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My gardening will be greatly scaled back this year, due to some... issues last year.

I'm planning on putting in one 4' x 4' raised bed, for okra and tomatoes. I'll grow a few herbs (basil, rosemary, and thyme) and hot peppers in whiskey barrels on the patio.

I still have strawberries. But until I buy enough metal screening to bury about 8 inches deep around the perimeter of any vegetable beds, to keep the pocket gophers out, and extend it high enough to keep the bunnies from jumping over it, I won't be planting anything new this year. I may plant some tomatoes in planter boxes on the patio.

I do still have my grape vines and plum trees though.

I should be banned from this thread because I'll read all the posts and plan on doing a bunch of gardening, then never follow through. I hate getting out there and doing the physical part of it. I just want to reap the benefits. And it doesn't matter if it's vegetables or flowers. I'm bad at all of it. Why? Why? :cry:

Not planning on much this year because of the move. I will be taking asparagus and strawberry plants with me, together with a bunch of ornamental perennials and rootings from a bunch of different bushes. 2014 will be another gardening year.

Im not growing veggies but I am growing some herbs. basil, thyme, rosemary, origano, mint, parsley and sage.

Reactions: SummerRain
I think my herbs have survived the snow... thyme and rosemary are still fine, hopefully sage, mint, oregano and chives are okay. I also had parsley but I think you re-plant that each year?

I was going to grow some vegetables this year but I'm pretty busy... they'd have to be in containers. I still might do some salad at least, and my mum is going to give me some sweet pea plants because they're one of my favourite :)

I think my herbs have survived the snow... thyme and rosemary are still fine, hopefully sage, mint, oregano and chives are okay. I also had parsley but I think you re-plant that each year?

I was going to grow some vegetables this year but I'm pretty busy... they'd have to be in containers. I still might do some salad at least, and my mum is going to give me some sweet pea plants because they're one of my favourite :)
Mine look pretty messed up. And weve more snow on the way. Time to find room inthe shed for them i think.
I have parsley...its just growing still from last year, do I have zombie parsley?
Im not growing veg (neighbour cats and poop) I grow sweetpeas too. I grow them for my Gran, they were her favourites. :)

Maybe I'm thinking of corriander then!

I don't have a shed, mine have been buried in snow many times this winter ... I treat my plants harshly! I have faith, they'll be okay !

:) Sweetpeas are so nice, and the more you cut the flowers the more grow so I can't wait to have bunches in my house !

Reactions: Alice-Bee
I think I am going to have to give in and try to plant some zucchini. I have a craving for zucchini blossom fritters that won't go away, and you can't buy zucchini blossoms in the store.

Reactions: KLS52
I've only got fruit and vegetable scraps actually in my garden, composting. Okay, I have a few perennials too: thyme, lemon thyme, peppermint, oregano (unless it died), chives, and lovage.

I have a bell pepper plant and 3 different tomato plants inside: I heard they are all perennials, and you can take cuttings from tomato plants, so I dug up the pepper and took tomato cuttings and brought them indoors. The winter inside has been rough on them, though. I did this with tomatoes last year and I think they fared better. Or maybe not... last year I only had cuttings of one variety, and this year, that's doing the best of the three.

I finally have my own raised garden bed. We got it set up in February, my partner designed and built it to have a second tier in the back with lattice support. It is on the bigger side but it fits the space perfectly and is the best location for sunlight in our yard. We had 5 cubic yards of soil mix delivered and I think I shoveled almost all 7,000 lbs of it myself! Amended it with my homemade compost and now have several varieties of heirloom tomatoes, habanero peppers, peas, green beans, cucumber, zucchini and basil growing in it right now. We get to have 2 crops of tomatoes here, so I have space left for more tomatoes in a few months and more peppers too.

Reactions: ledboots
I just planted some broccoli, kale, and romaine lettuce outside. I'm going to start some onions and more broccoli and kale indoors. Later I'll start watermelon, okra, and maybe some squash indoors, but I think it's about one or two weeks too early for that now. Oh, what the heck- I'll start just a few of each of those indoors now, and see if they do better than the ones I start later.

It's supposed to be warm outside tomorrow, and I'll be home all day. I'll put my tomato and pepper plants outside and take them in tomorrow night.

I should be banned from this thread because I'll read all the posts and plan on doing a bunch of gardening, then never follow through. I hate getting out there and doing the physical part of it. I just want to reap the benefits. And it doesn't matter if it's vegetables or flowers. I'm bad at all of it. Why? Why? :cry:
Hmmm... my record as a gardener is definitely, uhhh, inconsistent. Some plants just don't do well for me at all- spinach and broccoli, for example (although I've tried to grow them both several times, and am trying broccoli AGAIN). But there are some that I normally have good luck with- acorn squash, mustard greens, romaine lettuce, okra, beans, sweet corn, cucumbers- that sometimes just have a bad year.

Maybe you should try a smaller garden plot than you've been doing. Or it may be that the soil in your area needs improving, or something... For example, I have a big black walnut tree on my home plot. Unfortunately, this type of tree makes a sort of natural herbicide to eliminate the competition- harmless to humans, and some vegetables such as squash or beans can grow near it- but forget about tomatoes or peonies.

Husband assembled our new compost tumbler today. Our old compost bins had to be removed last spring, and I wasn't able to deal with gardening things at all last year, so we've been throwing away all our kitchen scraps. Now we can compost them!

We'll be renting a couple of gardening plots in a community garden close to here. We live in an apartment with no space to garden, so it's the only way for us to garden. We did it for the first time last year and hubby loved it. I loved seeing the fruits of our (his) labour. He reckons he could keep up with 4 plots this year compared to the one we used last year. I fully intend to help out more this year. We need to start our tomato plants!!

I HAVEN'T GOT A GARDEN WHY DOES EVERYONE HATE ME!

My garden is a car park :(

Status
Not open for further replies.