What's in Your Garden? (2013 edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There will be pictures when the veggies start growing, but I might be inspired to go take a 'before' picture later. :)

I saw Asda were selling pumpkin plants for 79p. I was so tempted but I have no where to plant them. So I just have a few herbs and flowers...

We need more pictures in this thread...Get inspired!
There might be some dwarf varieties of pumpkins I'm not aware of, but I think most pumpkin plants need LOTS of space. Nothing wrong with herbs and flowers, anyway! (I really should have started my marigolds indoors a month ago so I'd have them blooming sooner).

My okra is sprouting (the ones I started in little pots) but even though it only sprouted a day or two ago I'm afraid it's a bit leggy- I put it outside for the day this morning. I'll be sowing some directly into the ground, anyway.

CrazyCatLady, as others have said, you should have good luck with beans. They've been one of the easiest vegetables for me to grow.

We're getting in the first of the tomatoes ,cucumbers,onions and lovely green beans in the school garden. Our coach plants every spring. Each child gets his or her own tomato plant (our elementary school is very small, only around 40 kiddos). I took the kindergarteners and first graders out to pick and water , and while I had my back turned for a few minutes, the kinders pulled up most of the onions! Several, onion in hand, were saying," I want an onion! May I have an onion?". I explained that they were holding them in their hands. This brought on many confused looks, and one "This is not an onion." ! Poor kids must have been looking for the big round white things they see in the supermarket. Gotta love the wee folk.:)

Reactions: KLS52
Photos of my garden...Befores and afters...spoilers as there are lots.

This was our garden when we moved in 3 years ago. All we did that year was cut the grass and de-weed the lower patio...The weeds were wasit height! Note the half arsed raised flowerbed on the right...the former owners didnt think it through as all they did was put up some wooden borders and empty bags of soil in! It flooded in heavy rain.

45852_420886800193_6074415_n.jpg

The following year we had enough of the flooding and levelled it out, we also made the garden squarer by adding more grass.

231082_10150251811630622_1662663_n.jpg

This year we added a row of trees at the bottom of the garden to make the lower patio more private as new people moved in to the house next to us, therefore...no privacy anymore :(

553049_10151331282680194_53120697_n.jpg

We also tried to make the garden flow...

969611_10151376677610194_597751513_n.jpg

936882_10151376677465194_1913560673_n.jpg

Then M made me a herb table from some old wood...
562373_10151331278105194_362933609_n.jpg

Alice, you did a wonderful job! It looks lovely! :)

Reactions: ledboots
I put in my garden last weekend. It's small now, just a 4-foot square raised bed:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370227186.998524.jpg

Three tomatoes (Juliette, Brandywine, and Mr Stripey), and five peppers (poblano, sweet banana, and three jalapeños):

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370227202.793281.jpg

Herbs in whiskey barrel (thyme, rosemary, two basils):

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370227420.616833.jpg

I'm putting okra in pots this year, but several broke when I was transplanting so I had to reseed.

Okay so here are my plants, in pots because it isn't actually my garden, but the garden is big and the plants are just tucked around the corner of it so nobody minds.

From left to right: lavender, sunflowers and a lettuce, radishes, lettuce, rocket and spinach, bay tree, sweet peas, herbs (oregano, parsley, mint, thyme, rosemary, chives). I also have chilli plants and basil plants in the house :)

So yeah, not much to look at, but since I have enjoyed seeing other peoples plants I thought I'd share too.

ETA: Oh but I do actually live here, just realised that makes it sound like I sneak in and plant things in other peoples gardens... but its rented so not "mine" to do as I like with (or mend the rotting window frames).

Attachments

• DSCF7606.JPG
    DSCF7606.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 227
  • DSCF7609.JPG
    DSCF7609.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 243
What are the sides made out of/where did you get them? I do the 4x4 raised bed and whiskey barrel thing too. I predict you will have a whiskey barrel full of thyme next year. :p

It's this:http://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-Rais...id=1370284316&sr=8-1&keywords=lifetime+garden

We're not that handy, so a kit was ideal for us. I put it up pretty late, but next year I'll use the tent thingy to get an earlier start to the plants.

Maybe next year I'll add more whiskey barrels for the okra, not sure. I'll see how they do in smaller pots this year.

Reactions: Forster
Here's some pics of my garden last week:

Raised beds, planted in greens.

Raspberries by garage:

Herb garden

Rhubarb next to step. 1st barrel quiona (looks like it reseeded itself), next barrel has artichoke and some basil varieties.

Next 3 barrels are, strawberries, chives & asparagus.

Aww I love bluebells, some grow in our garden - in spite of the gardener :p

I have picked some salad, exciting. Lots of the radishes are hidden, I planted them way too thickly so by finding out the big ones and picking them I'm hoping the others will grow more. If I'd followed the packets instructions I'd have only had room to sew about 4 so I just chucked loads in and hoped.

Attachments

• DSCF7645.JPG
    DSCF7645.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 233
Here's what I got so far. Very little color but that should change in about a month from now when the perennials start bloom. I am cheating with a couple of hanging baskets. :D

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370703585.602489.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370703599.349816.jpg

Reactions: RabbitLuvr
I'm seriously jealous of everyone.

I'm putting okra in pots this year, but several broke when I was transplanting so I had to reseed.
Last fall, I dug up an okra plant or two to bring them inside. I was trying to find out if they're true annuals or perrennials. But some aphids came in with them and sucked the life out of them- they almost killed the bell pepper plant I brought inside too, but that one is doing well now and I've brought it back outside. It grew a lot of leaves back, is blooming, and has at least one small pepper growing on it- and it's only the beginning of June!

I started some okra in small seed starters and planted some directly in the ground, but it looks like a critter just stepped all over the ones in the starters. They were still very small, with only one or two small leaves. I hope the ones I planted in the ground do better. I started 4 watermelon plants from seed in small pots and they look good, but watermelon hasn't done well for me in the past- last year it just made big softballs full of seeds, with no juicy red stuff.

I have a gaggle of bean plants coming up, and some acorn squash that self-seeded from last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.