What's in Your Garden? (2013 edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sneaky zucchini! They are tricky, cause the stalks look so much like the zukes sometimes. And they'll get all overgrown in no time flat!

Mmmm... grilled zucchini.

They were hiding and we didn't see them until they were huge. Just been grilling them, the big fat pieces take on a nice texture and when marinated a little beforehand get good flavor too.
That used to happen in my mom's garden all the time, hidden monster zucchini. When I visited friends, I had to bring a bag of zucchini or tomatoes or whatever we had too much of. Once I brought some zucchini and one was huge, and my friend's brother was making jokes.

My butterfly bush has started to bloom. I've been seeing some swallowtail butterflies and hummingbird moths. The garden has become somewhat overgrown with weeds and the fact that I never really put it together properly when I first planted. I pulled some weeds this afternoon. Hoping to be ambitious enough, this weekend, to clean it up more.

I didn't plant any zukes this year but my neighbors bought a share in a Community-Supported Agriculture program this year. They're a family of 4, but even so, they're getting overwhelmed by how much produce they've had delivered. Thjey gave me some of what they couldn't eat, including two summer squashes. I'm going to grate one of them, mix it with grated potato, and see what sort of potato-zucchini pancake it makes.

Second thought: the blossom end is a bit soft. I don't know if I want to eat it, but I suppose if I cut enough of the end off, any rotten parts will be gotten rid of.

There were scallions, beets, anise, chard, and cucumbers in their shipment too. I cooked the beets and am eating them (I'd never had them fresh before) but I don't much care for them. I went on;ine for instructions on how to cook them- they're a lot like the canned beets we used to have sometimes when I was growing up.

Reactions: KLS52
I thought Mr Stripey was a goner, but I tied him up yesterday and saw three baby tomatoes. Now Brandywine is looking... less than healthy. Juliette has weird curly leaves but a zillion tomatoes. Next year I might try pruning the tomato plants; they're just out of control.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374959100.684359.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374959117.580365.jpg

I've got a lot of peppers coming on.

Banana
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374959149.685324.jpg

Poblano
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374959165.337057.jpg

Jalapeño
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374959182.656480.jpg

I'm having a great time doing some repotting in my mum's garden this weekend. Doing it in a pale blue dressing gown makes it feel all the more therapeutic ;)

Will post some pics in a bit.

My garden is a mess. :(
Everything is overgrown. It happens every year. I didn't know what I was doing when I started it several years ago. Too many really tall plants and, of course, they are all in the front. So even though it was lacking color in the beginning of the season, at least I had it looking semi neat and tidy. I just don't have the ambition to dig things up and sort it all out.

I wish I could hire someone to do it for me but we have other pressing issues that need to be taken care of, like the dangerously tall pine tree that looks like it is about to fall on my neighbor's house. :(

Don't worry! As long as there is life, I'm sure your garden is beautiful and the wildlife loves it :)

Ok, spoilers for picture heaviness. Can't tell you how good getting a bit of garden time has been for my brain health.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376825584.738502.jpg
Cramped plants need more space!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376825610.608941.jpg
Happier lupins now they're in bigger pots.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376825669.158204.jpg
Butterfly enjoying the lavender. Not pictured: bumbley bees also happy in the lavender.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376825736.758548.jpg
Stretching out in their big new pots. I don't know what they all are, I think there are lupins, hollyhocks and persimmons.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376825785.308971.jpg
Different angle.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376825806.419074.jpg
Some grapes doing their grape thing.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376825834.677697.jpg
This is a plant.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376825857.371499.jpg
Pretend rain makes some rainbows.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376825894.624906.jpg
Maybe you can see some bees, also dog's bum.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376825929.387242.jpg
Bramley apple tree.

Reactions: Katrina and KLS52
On my gosh, yally...that is incredible! Well done! :)

Reactions: yally
Thank you! I wish I could stick around to enjoy it! Next time I'll be coming up to help plant them in the garden :)

My okra hasn't done well at all. I'm thinking that maybe my plants in general aren't doing so well this year because last year I didn't have any rabbit manure to fertilize them with. I'm not ready to adopt another animal right now (not that I would get an animal just for his/her poo...) I don't know though- I put plenty of leaves and fruit/vegetable trimmings on my soil. Surely that has the same basic nutrients as manure would- less concentrated maybe, but then I just need to use more.

I'm picking cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, and picked two acorn squash. One of the squash looks like it got gnawed on, but so long as I cook it before it gets moldy, I think it should be okay. I've started a late run of broccoli in starter pots of soil- it's warm enough to plant the seed in the ground, of course, but maybe if I fuss over them a bit before planting them out, they'll do better than the ones I seeded directly in the ground did.

My dwarf okras are producing like crazy and I can't keep up with eating them.

Fresh salsa is pretty much always in the fridge right now, as the grape tomatoes are CRAZY. The other two tomatoes are doing poorly. :(

I think I'm past the main crop of jalapeños, but the poblanos are starting to come on. I have five right now that I need to do something with.

What's in my garden...?
Hundreds of big fat brown slugs...with these massive holes in the sides of their heads! How have I got through 25 years of my life and never seen or known about these lol xxx
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378325484.695929.jpg

Reactions: kazyeeqen
Spoilered because the pics are huge.
1292878_10151631640553017_1072048670_o.jpg

We chopped down the basil plants in the front flower bed. So much basil! We made pesto. We have enough to freeze and it will last us a long while.
1209427_10151631640498017_2122563703_n.jpg

The tomatoes we've picked over the last few days, plus some ruby red peppers.

I so want to garden! Maybe next year we'll move into a place with a garden and yard!

For me, the question is now more like: "What is my garden in?" The answer is, "My house!" I've taken cuttings of tomato plants and marigolds (two of each), rooted them, and have them in pots in a BIG south-facing window. I'm going to have 3 pepper plants and a rosemary plant as well, and two large Clivia houseplants which stay indoors all year long. I might try some herbs indoors too.

Status
Not open for further replies.