What Did You Cook or Bake today?

Taste and texture.

I do understand. This is the reason no one likes tofu. It's the very reason I used to dislike tofu. I did have some tofu at a friends house one time. His wife is Taiwanese and knew how to cook tofu, evidently. It was the first time I realized that tofu could be made to taste good. I should have watched what she was doing.

Anyhow, I have to admit, I've tried many different recipes and still didn't really like tofu much. It has taken me a while, but I did finally find a technique that I like a lot. It still isn't my favorite thing, but fresh cooked tofu can be made tasty. However, I really dislike tofu leftovers. It quickly loses that crispy texture I like.

Also, I find tofu is finicky. There are many variables. You have to have fresh tofu, the right texture (firm, extra firm, etc), pressed or frozen. Tofu is sort of like a blank canvas for an artist. You can paint a masterpiece or a complete flop.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
I do understand. This is the reason no one likes tofu. It's the very reason I used to dislike tofu. I did have some tofu at a friends house one time. His wife is Taiwanese and knew how to cook tofu, evidently. It was the first time I realized that tofu could be made to taste good. I should have watched what she was doing.

Anyhow, I have to admit, I've tried many different recipes and still didn't really like tofu much. It has taken me a while, but I did finally find a technique that I like a lot. It still isn't my favorite thing, but fresh cooked tofu can be made tasty. However, I really dislike tofu leftovers. It quickly loses that crispy texture I like.

Also, I find tofu is finicky. There are many variables. You have to have fresh tofu, the right texture (firm, extra firm, etc), pressed or frozen. Tofu is sort of like a blank canvas for an artist. You can paint a masterpiece or a complete flop.

Pfft .... :dismay:For me it was people trying to change tofu by pressing,freezing, over cooking, and frying that I didn't like! I almost was ready to give it up until I found that out. I love tofu as tofu! Fresh as can be!
I get lots of people disagree, but I give my opinion in case others face the the nasty prefrozen sponge and say yuck! 😖

I don’t like tofu if it too gelatinous. I like it dry and very firm. I don’t need a lot of flavoring that way. I gave no problem putting a slice of tofu between an English muffin with just a sprinkle of salt, pepper and nutritional yeast and calm it breakfast.

Of course I do love it breaded and fried and dipped in marinara sauce and parmesan.

@silva

I also don't care for the pre-frozen sponge-like texture either.

I found a local tofu that's pre-pressed, so it has very little liquid in it. It works consistently well for what I like.

I have tried hard to like tofu. As I mentioned, it still isn't my favorite thing, but I have found ways to cook it that I enjoy.

Also, tofu without proper seasoning or a thick sticky flavorful sauce is not pleasant and can be very off-putting. I totally understand why people dislike it. I just know that it can be made tasty.

I recently made some where I cut the tofu julienne style in sticks. I made sure I seasoned the potato starch coating really well, and shook the sticks up in a bag to coat them thoroughly. As I was frying them I couldn't stop eating them out of the pan. They were crispy and flavorful just on their own. I am convinced that without the proper seasoning they would've been bland. So that crispy texture and salty savoury flavour was a spot on. I nailed it! I used them in a stir-fry, which was also delicious. However, by the time I got to the leftovers the following day, that crispy texture was gone.

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
I didn't like tofu the last time I tried it. I thought it tasted very strongly of soya, which I have never noticed. I have a block in my fridge that I am ignoring!

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15
I want to make a super green pasta recipe today that I saw on IG. You blend up loads of spinach and cloves of garlic with olive oil and nutritional yeast, but I will use vegan cheese instead. I think they put cashews in the sauce too.

I want to make a super green pasta recipe today that I saw on IG. You blend up loads of spinach and cloves of garlic with olive oil and nutritional yeast, but I will use vegan cheese instead. I think they put cashews in the sauce too.
You mean super green pasta sauce, right? I wasn’t sure if you were making the pasta green. Sauce makes more sense but I just checking. I just woke up so my head is a little foggy lol But they do make colored pastas…green, orange etc. with spinach and carrots so yeah…one never knows haha 😊

I made a spinach pesto years ago. I’m not a fan of basil. It was amazing. This sounds like it might be similar. Maybe they use cashews instead of pine nuts. Post the recipe if it’s not too much of a pain. Or maybe I’ll go check out Instagram.

Reactions: Emma JC
You mean super green pasta sauce, right? I wasn’t sure if you were making the pasta green. Sauce makes more sense but I just checking. I just woke up so my head is a little foggy lol But they do make colored pastas…green, orange etc. with spinach and carrots so yeah…one never knows haha 😊

I made a spinach pesto years ago. I’m not a fan of basil. It was amazing. This sounds like it might be similar. Maybe they use cashews instead of pine nuts. Post the recipe if it’s not too much of a pain. Or maybe I’ll go check out Instagram.
I looked on IG and I can't find the exact one I saw annoyingly. It was a young guy who posts really nice vegan recipes but I have completely forgotten his name!

I do have coloured pasta too actually in my cupboard, but I was going to use normal spaghetti instead.

I don’t like tofu if it too gelatinous. I like it dry and very firm. I don’t need a lot of flavoring that way. I gave no problem putting a slice of tofu between an English muffin with just a sprinkle of salt, pepper and nutritional yeast and calm it breakfast.

Of course I do love it breaded and fried and dipped in marinara sauce and parmesan.
I don't mind if it's gelatinous, but the outside needs some crisp. I actually only freeze TJ's because I find that it spoils faster than other brands, so I pop it in the freezer and then just thaw it on the day that I want to use it. I've never had it dipped in marinara sauce. That's a good idea! I prefer most of my tofu in Asian dishes, though I love the barbecue recipe from Street Vegan (the Cinnamon Snail guy).

Reactions: KLS52
I have a block in my fridge that I am ignoring!

That is so hilarious, but exactly what I've been doing. I just bought the tofu thinking I will use it, but now it's been sitting in my fridge for a while. I'm afraid to check the expiry date, as I am sure it's probably close to gone. The longer it sat there the more I knew I wouldn't be using that block. Good thing it's cheap, but I still don't like wasting anything, nonetheless.

I made a giant pot of red lentil soup to which I added carrots celery and zucchini. I will shake it up a bit by adding either rice, small pasta, or even potatoes depending on my mood at the time. That way I’m not likely to get tired of it. Garlic bread goes good with it also.

That is so hilarious, but exactly what I've been doing. I just bought the tofu thinking I will use it, but now it's been sitting in my fridge for a while. I'm afraid to check the expiry date, as I am sure it's probably close to gone. The longer it sat there the more I knew I wouldn't be using that block. Good thing it's cheap, but I still don't like wasting anything, nonetheless.

Oh no. You just made check, I have to use it by the 17th, tomorrow! I might make tofu scramble I suppose and freeze half of it.

I didn't make this as I went to my local shop and they actually had a vegan sandwich so I bought it for lunch. Vegan cheese, salad and pickle. Quite nice!

I did make tomato soup with blended cashews yesterday.

Actually I think I will do the tofu with balsamic vinegar and maple syrup and have it with broccoli and rice.

Banana-zucchini chocolate chip-raisin muffins. I was going to freeze the whole batch, but I just ate one, still warm. I couldn't resist. Oh, how I love these! I will freeze most of the rest, though. I am going to make my friend a dinner/dessert for her birthday. She has a lot of fatigue issues and really loves good food, but she doesn't have the energy to cook a lot. And she loves my vegan meals. So I'm going to make her a veggie pot pie and divide it into servings. I will also give her half of the muffins and maybe some scones, as she loves my scones. :)

Banana-zucchini chocolate chip-raisin muffins. I was going to freeze the whole batch, but I just ate one, still warm. I couldn't resist. Oh, how I love these! I will freeze most of the rest, though. I am going to make my friend a dinner/dessert for her birthday. She has a lot of fatigue issues and really loves good food, but she doesn't have the energy to cook a lot. And she loves my vegan meals. So I'm going to make her a veggie pot pie and divide it into servings. I will also give her half of the muffins and maybe some scones, as she loves my scones. :)
You’re a good friend. 😍

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC