What Did You Cook or Bake today?

Most boxed pudding mixes are vegan, that might be a better bet!
I assumed the turmeric was just for color?
I think that’s the problem…I’m so used to box mixes being smooth and creamy. But I was just so curious about trying to make a custard from scratch. I think it’s just a bad recipe. There has to be a way of making custard /pudding from scratch and have it taste good. I agree, too much cornstarch.

I assumed the turmeric was just for color?
I think that’s the problem…I’m so used to box mixes being smooth and creamy. But I was just so curious about trying to make a custard from scratch. I think it’s just a bad recipe. There has to be a way of making custard /pudding from scratch and have it taste good. I agree, too much cornstarch.
For some people--not me! There are certain foods I can pick out not how well people say they're disguised.

I don't know about custard, but I make pudding just fine subbing any non dairy milk, same recipe as for cooked pudding.
My favorite is the extra creamy Chobani oatmilk - it's very creamy!
Now that I'm thinking about this, I haven't made vanilla pudding- only chocolate! And I want to make a Boston creme pie!

Or a key lime cheesecake with cashews....

For some people--not me! There are certain foods I can pick out not how well people say they're disguised.

I don't know about custard, but I make pudding just fine subbing any non dairy milk, same recipe as for cooked pudding.
My favorite is the extra creamy Chobani oatmilk - it's very creamy!
Now that I'm thinking about this, I haven't made vanilla pudding- only chocolate! And I want to make a Boston creme pie!

Or a key lime cheesecake with cashews....
Gotcha. I didn’t notice any “taste” thankfully. I don’t like turmeric generally speaking and would have been more annoyed if I was able to taste it lol.

This was disappointing. The custard was too thick/firm and kind of tasteless. The apples, CocoWhip and caramel sauce really improved it but not the texture of the custard. If I try again I think I will decrease the cornstarch. Maybe I’ll just make the custard to see if I can make it better.

We call that confectioners custard and it`s usually used when making fruit tarts so that the base doesn`t go soggy. It looks like there is far too much compared to the fruit. You really have to use a good quality vanilla extract as it can taste bland. I always use some vegan yellow colouring and never tumeric for desserts. Overall I would say that the given recipe is quite stodgy and could be greatly improved.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
We call that confectioners custard and it`s usually used when making fruit tarts so that the base doesn`t go soggy. It looks like there is far too much compared to the fruit. You really have to use a good quality vanilla extract as it can taste bland. I always use some vegan yellow colouring and never tumeric for desserts. Overall I would say that the given recipe is quite stodgy and could be greatly improved.
I should have had you look at it before I made it lol.
I did salvage the apples and crust though! They came away from the custard easily. I topped the apples with a little of the caramel sauce and CocoWhip and said goodbye to the custard as I dumped it in the trash lol. The apples were very tasty.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and shyvas
So excited…I have six hot cocoa bomb molds chillin’ in the fridge. I just have to find the right blend of organic cacao and sugar to fill them with. I’m also going to add dandees marshmallows and maybe add crushed candy canes to three of them.

Oh, wait…are candy canes vegan? Something is telling me they might not be…

Woo hoo! I have these.

Are Brach’s (Bobs) Candy Canes Vegan?

These are probably the most popular and common brand of Candy Canes. You can find them at pretty much every grocery store or pharmacy (CVS/Walgreen/Rite-Aid) in the USA and Canada during December, January, and even February, and thankfully they’re 100% Vegan. You can also find them on places like Amazon for even cheaper than in-stores (unless it’s after the holiday season and stores discount them).

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
Woo hoo! I have these.

Are Brach’s (Bobs) Candy Canes Vegan?

These are probably the most popular and common brand of Candy Canes. You can find them at pretty much every grocery store or pharmacy (CVS/Walgreen/Rite-Aid) in the USA and Canada during December, January, and even February, and thankfully they’re 100% Vegan. You can also find them on places like Amazon for even cheaper than in-stores (unless it’s after the holiday season and stores discount them).
:no:
Now I see you pasted that! :rofl:Amazon is crazy expensive!

.79 cent for 96! Bobs Peppermint Candy Cane 1 oz - Ace Hardware
I always see them $1. at the most for 12

I'm thinking of crushing some up myself. (but if we wait just a bit more they'll be everywhere!)

Reactions: KLS52
Ever make a vegan tiramisu? I'm eyeing this recipe and would like an opinion. I love ladyfingers, and this looks easy!

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
I have not one, but two banana breads in the oven…one with chocolate chips and one without. Sometimes I like it plain. The boys will eat the one with the chips.

• Love
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
I made oatmeal raisin cookies today. I would like to do mint chocolate chip cookies, but I don't think I will have time before work tonight.

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
I made oatmeal raisin cookies today. I would like to do mint chocolate chip cookies, but I don't think I will have time before work tonight.
Hmmmm... I have to think about what I'm gonna do with the chocolate mint creamer I have! I'm so bad about wanting things, and really overspend on groceries this time of year. Maybe I could add powder sugar for a frosting?
How do you do the mint choc cookies?

Hmmmm... I have to think about what I'm gonna do with the chocolate mint creamer I have! I'm so bad about wanting things, and really overspend on groceries this time of year. Maybe I could add powder sugar for a frosting?
How do you do the mint choc cookies?
I didn't even know there was a chocolate mint creamer. Yum! I make the mint chocolate chip cookies by adding crushed candy canes to the batter, about a third of a cup or so. I know they make mint-flavored semisweet chocolate chips, but I haven't checked whether they are vegan. I like the color the candy adds to the cookie.

Reactions: KLS52
I didn't even know there was a chocolate mint creamer. Yum! I make the mint chocolate chip cookies by adding crushed candy canes to the batter, about a third of a cup or so. I know they make mint-flavored semisweet chocolate chips, but I haven't checked whether they are vegan. I like the color the candy adds to the cookie.
It's been at my Aldis for a while-other store too off course. Like $3 something? Not too much mint, and thick
1639650325664.png

Reactions: PTree15
I made cranberry nut muffins and I'm about to make hummus. I have a smallish get-together with some family members tomorrow, and I'm bringing the muffins, hummus, cookies and tortilla chips (and wine :) ).

• Love
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
last night I decided to make apple fritters which I saw on the Whole Food Plant-based Cooking Show (Youtube) - fairly simple recipe using oats as flour and dates as sweetener in both the fritter and the frosting - in addition to a Granny Smith Apple I threw in a few dried cranberries and a few walnuts - they were good and my honey was pleased to have something homemade (he ate three and they are large)

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com