What Did You Cook or Bake today?

I checked out that recipe for Brie…the sauerkraut is kind of scary lol. But I want to try and make it!
I dislike sauerkraut--with the exception of having it on a reuben sandwich.
KatOtts addition of adding it to a cheese is exceptional! It gives just the right kind of 'tang' without being noticably tangy.
I've learned to buy small cans and freezing the rest if needed
I used it in the brie recipe, and the lo-carb vegans steamed rice cheese.
I doubt it's needed in my better buffalo.

Next is to buy lactic acid. Maybe Gentle Chefs Non Dairy Evolution. Carageenan? maybe

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
I have memories of brie and this is nothing at all like them. Just a good tasting thing
I kinda wish there were better words for plant based recipes, or I guess words that would be more acceptable

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
I do like sauerkraut and can eat it by itself with mustard. Now I’m craving a vegan sausage with sauerkraut and mustard!
I don’t like vegan hot dogs. I thought I did…the field roast ones. But not the last time I had it. Not sure why.
My favorite is Tofurky original or kielbasa but all I ever see are the Italian flavored or apple sage. 🤢 to bother of those. I’m even having trouble with finding the Tofurky deli slices original flavor. I can’t do smoked or black pepper ones and that’s all I see now. It’s so annoying. Not everyone likes the flavored stuff!!

• Friendly
Reactions: Tom L. and Emma JC
I can't remember what sauerkraut even tastes like as I haven't had it in decades. I keep picturing coleslaw or kimchi but I don't know if either of them taste similar.

I checked out that recipe for Brie…the sauerkraut is kind of scary lol. But I want to try and make it!
Yes, that was a weird ingredient! But I think it helped give the cheese some tang. I don't think I would bake it again, as it didn't seem as tangy. When it got back to room temp, it was much better. I just took a little bite from it being in the fridge, and it's delicious. Not really much like brie, but it's still quite good. I'm going to make this for the next big family gathering. I think my family would eat it. I'll just tell them that it's a plant-based cheese spread. :)

• Informative
Reactions: Tom L.
I've been hooked on making soy yogurt in the Instant Pot with a plain soy milk of beans and water - Trader Joes shelf stable quart-and a probiotic. Westsoy shelf stable is also plain
You can also make a good cheese with just the blended cashews and a probiotic. I think i used a cup of soaked cashews blended with half cup of water, then blend with one probiotic, wrapped in cashew and hung to drain for a day, or two

I have tried using raw sunflower seeds but they're way savory. Reminded me of Braunschweiger, the kind in the paper roll. I liked it as a kid, so really can't say my memory is right, but it's the memories of food that we try to replicate, not so much the food itself
I've never used probiotics, but that's good to know. Do the probiotics give any flavor? Because just the cashews sounds kind of plain.

I do like sauerkraut and can eat it by itself with mustard. Now I’m craving a vegan sausage with sauerkraut and mustard!
I don’t like vegan hot dogs. I thought I did…the field roast ones. But not the last time I had it. Not sure why.
My favorite is Tofurky original or kielbasa but all I ever see are the Italian flavored or apple sage. 🤢 to bother of those. I’m even having trouble with finding the Tofurky deli slices original flavor. I can’t do smoked or black pepper ones and that’s all I see now. It’s so annoying. Not everyone likes the flavored stuff!!
Ohhh, now I want the same! I do have one vegan sausage in the freezer. I love sauerkraut and also can eat it as a side. I want to eat all the food today, hahaha!

• Love
Reactions: KLS52
I've never used probiotics, but that's good to know. Do the probiotics give any flavor? Because just the cashews sounds kind of plain.
No, and I am familiar with that taste! Now that you mention it, the first ones I tried making yogurt with I did taste it bad! They were weak too, and I don't think they had the right .... culture type
I've been using these with much success

Lactic acid is supposed to give a cheesy flavor too, I'd like to try that too!

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15
No, and I am familiar with that taste! Now that you mention it, the first ones I tried making yogurt with I did taste it bad! They were weak too, and I don't think they had the right .... culture type
I've been using these with much success

Lactic acid is supposed to give a cheesy flavor too, I'd like to try that too!
Thank you!

I’m so cold that I fear today is going to be a very unproductive day, lol. I don’t even want to get dressed because I don’t want to take my clothes off to put on my regular day clothes ha ha Ha ha ha. Luckily I showered last night. I have my curry that I made yesterday and a nice container of soup that will get me through the next day or two. In case I decide I don’t want to move off of the couch. Or get dressed. 😁

I made cornbread for the boys since they will be doing most of the snow cleanup. If husband is smart he will use the snowblower. Often he doesn’t bother which I find odd. I guess when it’s just a few inches it’s just as easy to shovel? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Anyway… I’m going to get a piece of that corn bread before it disappears. 😁

Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
I made cornbread for the boys since they will be doing most of the snow cleanup. If husband is smart he will use the snowblower. Often he doesn’t bother which I find odd. I guess when it’s just a few inches it’s just as easy to shovel? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Anyway… I’m going to get a piece of that corn bread before it disappears. 😁
Now I'm wanting one of those corn shaped cast iron corn bread molds. I had a friend who made cornbread in them and it so very good. I passed one up in a thrift store because I "didn't need it" 🙄

I think I'll make cornbread! and some pinto beans!

I had crisps and wine for dinner tonight! Lol.

I did make a delicious roasted butternut squash and parsnip soup yesterday. I had a bowl for lunch today. I don't really like butternut squash unless it is blended up for some reason.

I think I really, really messed up :fp:
I followed a youtube video for rye bread--my first mistake! I can't go between watching and reading at all, and do much better with just a written recipe.
Ok, so far I added like two cups more ap flour than called for-in the vid she kept saying "it's soft, but not sticky", but in the comments she responds just how very sticky it is, and you should ignore that :argh:
So then, after the rise, I do the usual punch down and shape and let rise again
great
Then I read the recipe again and I thought she said to punch down again, then shape and put in the oven--which didn't make sense to me, but I was doing other things and so I took up the lovely looking loaves, punched them down, reshaped, and put in the oven, realising of course that that was incredibily stupid. After a few minutes i removed from oven to let hopefully rise more :sniff:
I know how to make bread, I just mess it up every time!

On a better not, I made a hammy seitan that's been resting and will bake after the stupid rye bread comes out

I made three batches of seitan sausages (4 per batch) and refried beans. I was going to make black bean burgers, but I spent a lot of time on the phone yakking to friends and family today, so I didn't get that done. :) I will make them tomorrow. I'm working on restocking my freezer.

Well the two big loaves of dark rye came out ok. I found dark rye isn't my thing. I like the typical rye I buy that's light in color with caraway seeds, this is a dark color, and a stronger taste. But it's good
I wish I made as big a seitan! I used red lentils in the wet, pureed, and wasn't sure about it, or the spices I'd use, so it ended up a small round. It's in the oven now, with a mustard and brown sugar glaze

I usually do ok with bread but when I have trouble it’s when I out it in the oven…sometimes it doesn’t do that final burst/rise as it’s baking and it will come out dense. I don’t know if it’s because I do the second rise too long. It’s definitely a yeast/rise issue I think.

I also find it tricky sometimes to get the soft, not sticky result and end up adding too much flour. I think it’s why I like the overnight bread so much. It doesn’t seem to happen with that because you’re not handling the dough much at all.

Well, everything turned out great :iiam:
I left the hammy in longer than it should have baked, and then left in the oven after turning it off-and fell asleep. When I took it out hours later it felt so hard!
This morning I couldn't wait to try both hammy and bread. The hammy was incredible! It was dense, and had the flavor of my spiral sliced Honeybaked Ham memories! Probably nothing like it, but I didn't want that-I wanted the memory of a food I looked forward to
The bread was perfectly baked, with a nice grain. It was delicious toasted. Of course my stupidity of mushing it and reforming it before baking messed it up-it's pretty flat- but it didn't ruin it at all. It's a recipe I look forward to making (right) again!
I may make another hammy since the one I made is very small, and I want to get it right so I can write the recipe. I'll use other seasoning though as I took the 'ham' seasoning from the bag of Hursts 15 bean mix. It's actually labeled vegan